Suggestion for Plorts - Refinery

Feedback and general discussion of Slime Rancher

Suggestion for Plorts - Refinery

Postby xenxander » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:38 am

So.. here's the backstory:
I have 4 maxed out silos. (techincally not, of the 16 items, my roostros are only at 38 and my gold plorts are at 3)
My food production is amazing and my three largo pens are making more plorts than anyone knows what to do with.
You also can notice that the market has many blank slots yet to fill. I know this is probably for more plorts and different slimes in the future. But let's also consider items not plorts.

Before you panic, no i"m not talking about selling crops or henhens (though 'why not' comes to mind, I wouldn't mind selling excess even at just a few newcoins)

I am talking about new items you can make at your ranch with the plorts. When you check the info, you realize that plorts are used for materials and other things back on earth (and I hope other places as the lore gets expanded upon, since this is a simulation I can imagine there will be other planets and different demands per planet.. ehem back to my idea).

So why not a new item to be built - the Refinery.

This is an item like the Silo, that needs to be upgraded a few times. It can take plorts and refine them into more base materials. But this building could be very expensive to make and the plorts needed are huge. (I stress quite pricey)

Say for example the pink plort is used to make some sort of metal sheet (or whatever). The refinery would need like 50 pink plots to make a refined sheet. It can happen at steady intervals. Also because of this, maybe the capacity should be set to 200 default and upgraded to (insert number here, like 500 max).

You could upgrade this building to hold more plorts (it could start by only being able to hold two types).
some refined goods could take up to 4 different plorts. Also some refined goods could take other refined goods + plorts.
So for example, the metal sheet that the pink plorst make, you would need that + another one or two plorts (of large amounts, like 30 - 150, depending) to make another base item.
This means the refinery would need your attention. It makes the goods, but you'd have to shuffle things around. I don't mind other, UBER expensive upgrades, to make the refinery hold all 8 plorts.

We can use our imagination to figure out what refined goods can be made 'just' with plorts, and what could be made, that require another refined good + additional plorts.

(Optional)
I also would imagine that the refinery might need two plots, adjacent to each other, for further balance. So you can refine some goods, then put them in a silo, and then resupply your refinery with other plorts and the goods you made previous.

Remember, this idea is to expand the market, find a use for unneeded plorts, and be a money-sink for later-game.
xenxander
Rancher

Re: Suggestion for Plorts - new use

Postby Azreide » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:49 am

I do like the idea of plorts being used for other things. You also make a very good point with plorts being used on other planets for specific things. Although I don't think this game would be that sort of resource management like collecting metal sheets. If it did have this, I think something like depositing the amount of plorts needed to make something with an actual function would be better. Nothing like metal sheets, just directly depositing plorts for what will give you a useful item.

Like 10 Tabby Plorts + 20 Pink Plorts = Speed Booster, without needing to make specific extra ingredients with plorts to make it.
Azreide
Rancher

Re: Suggestion for Plorts - Refinery

Postby xenxander » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:50 am

well, 'metal sheets' was merely an 'insert item here' space-holder. They could just be something spherical called 'refined pink material' and we wouldn't really know what it is, per se...

I sorta like that idea actually.
xenxander
Rancher

Re: Suggestion for Plorts - Refinery

Postby Pigcatapult » Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:00 pm

A use for plorts is a good idea, but I'm not sure I'm fond of intermediate materials.
Pigcatapult
Rancher

Return to General Discussion