Suggestion: Cooking

Feedback and general discussion of Slime Rancher

Suggestion: Cooking

Postby duskflower » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:53 am

One of my favorite aspects about Slime Rancher is the rancher-feel, patrolling the range and caring for cattle *ahem* slimes. However, I feel like that was partially obscured by the Slime Science. While Slime Science itself is wonderful, I have a suggestion that works with and alongside Slime Science but also stays true to that rancher feel and theme. Presenting.. cooking!

Now, you may wonder how it would be different from Slime Science in that you gather ingredients to make things. Well, while Slime Science more focuses on plorts and resources gathered from the range, cooking would be more food-centric. It would utilize food items (fruits, veggies and meats) to eventually, make foods that you can eat or feed your slimes. What makes it differ from Slime Science is how you get from the things you gather to the finished product. Whilst in Slime Science you have to mine things and then pop them in the Refinery, cooking is a bit more interactive. While there are many ways to go about implementing this, I propose cooking be done within your home, especially if they give you the ability to go within it.

Part 1: The ingredients. Let's say there's a recipe called 'Pogofruit Cake' that we'll use for the purpose of this idea, and something called Far-Far Wheat. The wheat can't be immediately fed to slimes, but it's invaluable when used in recipes. If there are no Roostros present Hen-Hens will lay eggs that don't hatch and can be used for cooking, so you can have one coop with a limited number of Hen-Hens and Roostros for breeding and another coop with all the spare Hen-Hena for laying eggs.

Part 2: Making it. You have to wash your fruit by dunking them in water, use your vacpack to gently lift it and float it through a machine that instantaneously cuts the fruit into small pieces for you. Then you have to make a crust. The wheat on its own can't be fed to slimes, but when used in a recipe it can work wonders. You'll gather up the wheat and spent time grinding it into flour. The machines for grinding, cutting, etc. will be able to be made with Slime Science. Once it's grinned you'll combine it with water (literally splashing it with water while it sits in a bowl which will be fun), eggs, and if the devs are willing to take that step, you could mix it with your backpack by spinning it. Upon combining the Pogofruit and the mixture you can put it in the oven and, after a short while, you'll have your pie.

Part 3 (the fun part) using your baked goods: Now, food has different perks. Some food, when immediately eaten, can give you a boost so that you can sprint longer, or jump higher, or when you are attacked your health goes down slower. For your slimes, there can be food that tames Feral Slimes, feeds your slimes more 'heartily' so they get hungrier slower, calms them, makes them change their favorite food for a short amount of time, negates the wanting for Largos to be attracted and eat plorts that aren't their own for a very short time, attracts Lucky Slimes if left out, gives you a 20% more chance to get a Strange Diamond or any other 'luck' boost and even more funny ones that can change a slime's color or give it a super-jump or super-speed. Food can also be used in Range Exchange or sold. You don't have to implement a hunger, but if you do it can be useful for that. If you want you can make a Slime Science gadget that enables you to make food on the go. Slime Science is necessary for making bowls, tables, appliances and everything that cooking requires.

4: (the even more fun part) Experimenting with foods: Probably the most fun part of cooking is finding new recipes. Instead of discovering them, you'll have to make them yourselves by combining foods, making them different ways and seeing what happens, resulting in all sorts of fun or sometimes harmful foods. If you want to take it a step farther in complexity you can make, say, each food type slightly different depending on what area you harvested it from. For example, Moss Blanket water can be used for some foods but if Indigo Quarry water is used instead it can cause the whole thing to explode. It's like one-part rancher home cooking, one-part mad food scientist. Appliances will break over time and need repair, and also can be upgraded. Food can even be a bit like making a potion and some, more liquid-based things can brew a whole new slime.

In itself, cooking is similar to Slime Science (and has a bit of experimental science in its own way to differentiate it) but in the actual proccess it's drastically different and can be quite fun and rewarding. Food can be used for decoration if you make the table and plate gadget. This idea is quite flexible, so feel free to suggest changes! I think it has vast potential and one person can't completely conceive it on her own.

Thank you for your time, and an early Happy New Year!
duskflower
Rancher

Re: Suggestion: Cooking

Postby Conrad500 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:16 am

Doesn't making slimes hungry slower actually hurt you though? You ranch them for their resources.

I think a food mechanic would be fun, but it doesn't fit into the game well. Health isn't really an issue (unless you're trapped with some ferals x.x ) since it regens so fast, and we don't have enough vacpac slots to warrant reserving one just for food.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea. I actually think it's a really good one, just not practical in the current game's ecosystem.

I will keep bringing up my idea until it gets implemented... but a cooking feature would work great with my "Free range slime" idea. Instead of making plorts, slimes eat to raise happiness. That way you could mix all the slimes you want without them changing into largos or tar, and then you get to have an area of just having fun with slimes without caging them up or milking them for money.

Cooked food could have all sorts of effects. Making slimes hyper, making them sleepy, making them happy for longer, etc. so yeah, I'm a fan of the cooking idea too :P

But for now, we'll just have to hope they include more to the game to warrant cooking. I've got so many carrots I hope there's a carrot stew recipe xD
Conrad500
Rancher

Postby EmeraldPlay » Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:50 pm

That could be fun.
My avatar was taken from Miomilla's chart.

Not visiting this place as often so contact me on Discord if you want anything from me.
-----
Links:
The partnered Discord server for Slime Rancher I once moderated
Restored prototype features
EmeraldPlay
Treefox

Postby duskflower » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:40 pm

Conrad500 wrote:Doesn't making slimes hungry slower actually hurt you though? You ranch them for their resources.

Ohhh, then there could be a food item to cook that keeps slimes happy even if they're hungry, or makes them hungry!

There could also be foods that make it more difficult for Rad slimes to fully 'infect' you (#radrancherproblems), or something that makes Tarrs turn a blind eye to you. If health isn't an issue than there's lots of smaller things that are! ^-^
duskflower
Rancher

Postby Faevian » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:13 pm

I think any game where you take care of creatures could benefit from a "cooking" element. I think it could be as simple as you need a cooker of some sort built from slime science, and put some ingredients in it and it makes "slime kibble" or something. It could just be a way to get even more plorts, it gives 3 per food, for example. Maybe it could make them follow you for a bit, so you can wrangle largos easier.
Faevian
Plort

Return to General Discussion