Slimes' favourite foods make no sense

Feedback and general discussion of Slime Rancher

Slimes' favourite foods make no sense

Postby FishFruit14 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:43 pm

Something I've recently realized is that slimes' favourite foods make no sense

The most obvious example is the pogo fruit and boom slime. Both are explosion-based, bu the boom slime prefers the briar hen

Both a cube shaped slime and glowing food could be implemented in the game, but instead the glowing slime eats a cube-shaped food

The hunter slime would logically eat the briar hen, as both are stripy and "wild", but nope, the hunter slime likes roostoros

Then there's rock slimes and the prickle pear (not released). Both are spiky, so it would make sense.

Gold slimes would logically preffer gilded ginger (unreleased), but they don't have a favourite food.

You get the point. Slimes' favourite foods simply don't make sense. I don't know why, but they don't. So say you invent a ghost slime? They wouldn't eat ghost peppers. Bunny slimes wouldn't preffer carrots. Try to give them a completely nonsensical favourite food, because that's how it works.
Sectanza made my amazing spider slime avatar!!! Thanks, Sectanza!!!
FishFruit14
Rancher

Re: Slimes' favourite foods make no sense

Postby EmeraldPlay » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:41 pm

Would it be better if these favorite foods made sense?
My avatar was taken from Miomilla's chart.

Not visiting this place as often so contact me on Discord if you want anything from me.
-----
Links:
The partnered Discord server for Slime Rancher I once moderated
Restored prototype features
EmeraldPlay
Treefox

Postby CashMoney » Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:57 pm

To be fair, hunter slime and roostoros do make sense, as roostoros are rarer to find, and hunter slimes would appreciate the challenge of finding one to eat.
Introducing... The Shiba Slime!

You: "Don't you think that's enough honey-boom largos?"
Me: $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
CashMoney
Rancher

Postby SpiralRancher » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:40 am

FishFruit14 wrote:The most obvious example is the pogo fruit and boom slime. Both are explosion-based

I'm not sure what confuses me more, the idea that Pogo Fruits are explosion-based or your claim that it is an obvious example at all.

Both a cube shaped slime and glowing food could be implemented in the game, but instead the glowing slime eats a cube-shaped food

A regular strawberry is very high in sweet calories, imagine one the size and shape of a car battery. Surely they need plenty of energy to keep glowing in the dark.

The hunter slime would logically eat the briar hen, as both are stripy and "wild", but nope, the hunter slime likes roostoros

They would logically eat the Briar Hen on a regular basis because it may be their most accessible food in feral wilderness. But when you think of feral among poultry, it would only make sense to think of roosters. I guess CashMoney nailed it best, though.

Then there's rock slimes and the prickle pear (not released). Both are spiky, so it would make sense.

It would make sense for a slime taking on the properties of the earth to feed on nutrients taken from the soil, hence vegetables.

Gold slimes would logically preffer gilded ginger (unreleased), but they don't have a favourite food.

None that you or us can provide anyway.

So say you invent a ghost slime?

Ecto Drop?

They wouldn't eat ghost peppers.

We might need to invent ghost peppers first.

Bunny slimes wouldn't preffer carrots.

While they do really like vegetables and fruits on the occasion, rabbits' main diet is actually composed of fresh hay and weed. But when you think about it, a slime specialized in taking on the traits of a rabbit might prefer a specialized kind of carrot.
SpiralRancher
Rancher

Postby ziulyx » Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:19 pm

Fun fact: If you go on the dev's tumblr and scroll down... No more! No, even more down! You will find posts of Slime Rancher before the alpha release. The fav for the rock slime was going to be prickle pear.
ACAB
ziulyx
Rancher

Postby ziulyx » Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:22 pm

FishFruit14 wrote:Gold slimes would logically preffer gilded ginger (unreleased), but they don't have a favourite food.

If you think about it, it makes sense since the gilded ginger was considered a myth. The slimeapedia says none since the gilded ginger isn't confirmed to be real. When you hear about it the person says it was a rumor.
ACAB
ziulyx
Rancher

Postby SpiralRancher » Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:12 pm

ziulyx wrote:Fun fact: If you go on the dev's tumblr and scroll down... No more! No, even more down! You will find posts of Slime Rancher before the alpha release. The fav for the rock slime was going to be prickle pear.

I thought it was only just alluded to this screenshot here.

SpiralRancher
Rancher

Return to General Discussion