Better Sun & Moon

Feedback and general discussion of Slime Rancher

Better Sun & Moon

Postby SnailsAttack » Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:18 pm

When I think of space, I think of looking up into the sky and seeing huge planets and stuff. In Slime Rancher, this isn't the case. Instead of a sun, there's just a random spot in the sky that gets brighter when you look at it, and instead of a moon theres just a big white circle with stars overlapping it.

I think that, first of all, there should definitely be a sun. I don't know if there should be anything special about it, but there should AT LEAST be one in the first place.

There should also be a better moon, or perhaps several moons. They shouldn't look like earths moon, and shouldn't be overlapped by stars.

As a bonus, there should be a couple huge planets in the sky.

These added features would make the game feel more real and feel like it actually takes place on another planet.
SnailsAttack
Rancher

Re: Better Sun & Moon

Postby EmeraldPlay » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:44 am

The sun's a lens flare. It's not a part of the skybox and I agree with you on that.
I don't agree however with the several moon and huge planet ideas. Those are stereotypical traits for an alien planet, and who said that there couldn't be a Earth-like planet with exactly one moon and exactly one sun somewhere?

Welcome to the forums.
My avatar was taken from Miomilla's chart.

Not visiting this place as often so contact me on Discord if you want anything from me.
-----
Links:
The partnered Discord server for Slime Rancher I once moderated
Restored prototype features
EmeraldPlay
Treefox

Postby SnailsAttack » Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:25 pm

EmeraldPlay wrote:The sun's a lens flare. It's not a part of the skybox and I agree with you on that.
I don't agree however with the several moon and huge planet ideas. Those are stereotypical traits for an alien planet, and who said that there couldn't be a Earth-like planet with exactly one moon and exactly one sun somewhere?

Welcome to the forums.

Thanks. I just think that it would look cooler and make it feel like your actually on an alien planet. And like you said, yeah, the sun is literally just a lense flare that magically appears.
SnailsAttack
Rancher

Postby HappyRainbew » Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:09 pm

Some planets don't have a moon, and some have multiple moons are stars, but I think that the single moon and single star makes it feel more "homey", like Earth, where the protagonist came from anyway. I am really dying to know if the developers of the game have a name for the planet of the Far, Far Range.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
HappyRainbew
Rancher

Postby HappyRainbew » Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:10 pm

Some planets don't have a moon, and some have multiple moons or suns, but I think that the single moon and single star makes it feel more "homey", like Earth, where the protagonist came from anyway.
I am really dying to know if the developers of the game have a name for the planet of the Far, Far Range, because the range is only an area of the planet itself.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
HappyRainbew
Rancher

Postby SnailsAttack » Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:32 pm

HappyRainbew wrote:Some planets don't have a moon, and some have multiple moons or suns, but I think that the single moon and single star makes it feel more "homey", like Earth, where the protagonist came from anyway.
I am really dying to know if the developers of the game have a name for the planet of the Far, Far Range, because the range is only an area of the planet itself.

um you said the same thing like twice
SnailsAttack
Rancher

Postby Lorelai1115 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:29 pm

SnailsAttack wrote:
HappyRainbew wrote:Some planets don't have a moon, and some have multiple moons or suns, but I think that the single moon and single star makes it feel more "homey", like Earth, where the protagonist came from anyway.

um you said the same thing like twice

His / her net probably just messed up so it was rewritten and resent. I've definitely had that happen before lol.

But back to the topic of the conversation : I would personally love the night sky to be more in depth than it is now. The idea of looking up while going about my rancher duties and seeing a myriad of stars and a moon or two is lovely. I would also like the 'alien planet' like feel where you see planets and stuff as was earlier said.
Lorelai1115
Plort

Postby lukepkrees » Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:01 pm

Maybe have two moons (One big, one small) too make it feel like earth with a simple white moon
but then it will still have a layer of wonder because of the two moons.

Also isn't it weird that we're talking about the sun and moon when pokemon sun and moon just came
out. I just thought that was funny
Your friendly neighbor hood tarr

Nom Nom Nom
lukepkrees
Rancher

Postby base4 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:51 pm

This is a great idea. Can we veto v0.5 for a while and add a skybox for v0.4.1? Also, I think the multiple moons idea is incredible. I would love to see two moons in the sky. But, have the moons be dynamic; like they appear in different spots each night corresponding with an orbital cycle around the planet. It would make the whole experience so much more genuine and incredible. I bet it wouldn't be that hard to get their positions in the sky on any particular night at any particular point. It'd just take some calculations.
Slime Ranch? More like RANCH DRESSING, am I right!?
Check out this slime idea I came up with: The Rewind Slime
And my theory on the Ancient Ruins: What are the Ancient Ruins?
base4
Rancher

Postby WOLRUS » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:02 pm

lukepkrees wrote:Maybe have two moons (One big, one small) too make it feel like earth with a simple white moon
but then it will still have a layer of wonder because of the two moons.

Also isn't it weird that we're talking about the sun and moon when pokemon sun and moon just came
out. I just thought that was funny

Har har har. That's hilarious.
WOLRUS
Rancher

Location: The infinite void in the depths of the universe...kidding, an oasis in the Glass Desert.

Return to General Discussion