Other Ranchers/People

Feedback and general discussion of Slime Rancher

Other Ranchers/People

Postby RockSlime » Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:17 pm

In the little lore that we have for Slime Rancher we know that there are other ranchers, and according to quotes in both the Starmail and the Range Exchange, these ranchers do go threw the same places that we do. So we should be able to see them walking around the Far, Far Range and/or at least seeing their ranch areas somewhere.
Rock Slimes are best slimes. Pink Slimes are dumb slimes. Puddle Slimes are cute slimes. Tabby Slimes are cat slimes. So there should be mutt slimes.

---------------
I created my avatar. I am not lazy.
RockSlime
Rancher

Re: Other Ranchers/People

Postby SnailsAttack » Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:37 pm

This sounds really complicated?
SnailsAttack
Rancher

Postby RockSlime » Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:11 am

SnailsAttack wrote:This sounds really complicated?

Well the developers did say that we will be able to see the character that we play(Beatrix) as a 3D player model, so if they take a model that they would make for the other ranchers and added some AI to it, which seems like it's easy for them because of how they made the slimes' AI, then they would make some rancher NPCs.
Rock Slimes are best slimes. Pink Slimes are dumb slimes. Puddle Slimes are cute slimes. Tabby Slimes are cat slimes. So there should be mutt slimes.

---------------
RockSlime
Rancher

Postby ShiftyCake » Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:00 am

What is the point of their function however? What would you want them to provide to the Ranch Everything the game developers add to the game requires computation and memory, which is a limited resource. It isn't good game design to add mechanics just for the sake of it, each feature added to a game needs a clear goal and must be definable within the scope. Otherwise they're wasting their time and resources.

If you think this feature can provide something significant to the game experience, than explain how and why.
ShiftyCake
Plort

Postby RockSlime » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:42 pm

ShiftyCake wrote:What is the point of their function however? What would you want them to provide to the Ranch Everything the game developers add to the game requires computation and memory, which is a limited resource. It isn't good game design to add mechanics just for the sake of it, each feature added to a game needs a clear goal and must be definable within the scope. Otherwise they're wasting their time and resources.

If you think this feature can provide something significant to the game experience, than explain how and why.

Maybe they could add the ability to steal slimes from those ranchers because of them having a ranch, and they could set up different ways that each rancher ranches the slimes(like Mochi Miles would probably have a lot of largos of the most expensive slimes and Ogden would have a lot of slimes that eat veggies), and you could maybe sabotage other ranchers and they could come after you and steal your slimes if they catch you.

---------------
RockSlime
Rancher

Postby TheGreciansHousehold » Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:06 pm

RockSlime wrote:
ShiftyCake wrote:What is the point of their function however? What would you want them to provide to the Ranch Everything the game developers add to the game requires computation and memory, which is a limited resource. It isn't good game design to add mechanics just for the sake of it, each feature added to a game needs a clear goal and must be definable within the scope. Otherwise they're wasting their time and resources.

Maybe they could add the ability to steal slimes from those ranchers because of them having a ranch, and they could set up different ways that each rancher ranches the slimes(like Mochi Miles would probably have a lot of largos of the most expensive slimes and Ogden would have a lot of slimes that eat veggies), and you could maybe sabotage other ranchers and they could come after you and steal your slimes if they catch you.

Firstly, I'm rather sure that your ranch is the only ranch for quite a distance.
Secondly, why would other ranchers want to sabotage you? It would seem pointless.
A multiplayer setting might be possible but AI is a lot more complex than most people think, not to mention the huge CPU usage so many 3D models would cause.
My Fanon-Lore Posts

"Creativity is intelligence having fun."
- Albert Einstein

Oceanus Out.

──────────────────────
I'm not really active here anymore. If you want to contact me, here's my Steam and my email is nala.korjo@gmail.com.
TheGreciansHousehold
Treefox

Postby RockSlime » Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:55 am

TheGreciansHousehold wrote:
RockSlime wrote:

Firstly, I'm rather sure that your ranch is the only ranch for quite a distance.
Secondly, why would other ranchers want to sabotage you? It would seem pointless.
A multiplayer setting might be possible but AI is a lot more complex than most people think, not to mention the huge CPU usage so many 3D models would cause.

First of all, TheGreciansHousehold, stop commenting on all my posts just to say what's wrong about them, it's really irritating, and I am new to these forums as you can see under my profile picture, it says how many posts I have made. Second of all, the developers can just cut some terrain out of one of the areas near our ranch to house a tunnel to the others or something similar to that. Third of all, I said in the text that the ranchers would try to sabotage you only if you sabotage them; by taking their resources. Finally, the AI that I have seen in many games were very much more complex than what I am suggesting, the developers don't have to add the ranchers in the next update so they could take their time, and I only have a 2.8 Gigahertz per second computer right now but I can still run Slime Rancher at the highest settings.

---------------
RockSlime
Rancher

Postby EmeraldPlay » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:05 am

If they were to be added, they should have a bigger purpose than stealing items from them. Maybe they could give you quests?
My avatar was taken from Miomilla's chart.

Not visiting this place as often so contact me on Discord if you want anything from me.
-----
Links:
The partnered Discord server for Slime Rancher I once moderated
Restored prototype features
EmeraldPlay
Treefox

Postby TheGreciansHousehold » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:39 am

RockSlime wrote:
TheGreciansHousehold wrote:
RockSlime wrote:

First of all, TheGreciansHousehold, stop commenting on all my posts just to say what's wrong about them.

Actually, I'm just sharing my opinion. I don't only comment negative posts on your threads.
My Fanon-Lore Posts

"Creativity is intelligence having fun."
- Albert Einstein

Oceanus Out.

──────────────────────
I'm not really active here anymore. If you want to contact me, here's my Steam and my email is nala.korjo@gmail.com.
TheGreciansHousehold
Treefox

Postby HappyRainbew » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:58 pm

Just my opinion:
• I think that it would be weird to see other ranchers walking around where you are. I like the feeling of being alone
• Other ranchers could be on the same planet, but on very, very far away islands. Maybe you could see a preview of their ranch, and maybe they would have slimes you could never get because they have different areas than you. Expanding on this idea, you could trade things for certain trade exclusive items which would be cool, like a special food that all slimes like, or a resource for slime science
• Stealing doesn't seem to fit the mood of the game- this is supposed to be a happy game!

To make it clear: this is an opinion, not a counterattack
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
HappyRainbew
Rancher

Postby RockSlime » Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:20 pm

HappyRainbew wrote:Just my opinion:
• I think that it would be weird to see other ranchers walking around where you are. I like the feeling of being alone
• Other ranchers could be on the same planet, but on very, very far away islands. Maybe you could see a preview of their ranch, and maybe they would have slimes you could never get because they have different areas than you. Expanding on this idea, you could trade things for certain trade exclusive items which would be cool, like a special food that all slimes like, or a resource for slime science
• Stealing doesn't seem to fit the mood of the game- this is supposed to be a happy game!

To make it clear: this is an opinion, not a counterattack

Good idea!

---------------
RockSlime
Rancher

Postby RockSlime » Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:07 pm

EmeraldPlay wrote:If they were to be added, they should have a bigger purpose than stealing items from them. Maybe they could give you quests?

That's also a good idea! RPG RPG RPG RPG RPG!

---------------
RockSlime
Rancher

Postby Lorelai1115 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:34 pm

I also think the 'stealing slimes' thing could prove to be very...problematic. Perhaps a way to visit other players and offer assistance in some kind of way? For example, a rancher could visit another player's ranch and every time someone visits your ranch you get some extra money or Science supplies and after, say, 100 visits, you get a bonus, or something such as this?
Lorelai1115
Plort

Postby RockSlime » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:43 am

Lorelai1115 wrote:I also think the 'stealing slimes' thing could prove to be very...problematic. Perhaps a way to visit other players and offer assistance in some kind of way? For example, a rancher could visit another player's ranch and every time someone visits your ranch you get some extra money or Science supplies and after, say, 100 visits, you get a bonus, or something such as this?

Okay, that could be good.

---------------
RockSlime
Rancher

Postby WOLRUS » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:22 pm

Those quarrelers, break it up. Game is peaceful, chatting about it should be relatively peaceful too. And I think the idea of other ranchers is a great idea! Ooh, wait, they said the phase lemon would have to be traded for. So maybe trade with the other ranchers for a lemon! (Although I wouldn't even bother to get the lemon, they're too sour anyway.)
WOLRUS
Rancher

Location: The infinite void in the depths of the universe...kidding, an oasis in the Glass Desert.

Postby Dragonking » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:44 am

But they changed it now it says gotten from another reality
The rare but elusive Dragon slime

How many lowes could Rod Lowe rob if Rob Lowe could rob lowes
Dragonking
Rancher

Return to General Discussion