[Challenge Run] Tamed Slimes Only

Feedback and general discussion of Slime Rancher

[Challenge Run] Tamed Slimes Only

Postby Pigcatapult » Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:00 pm

Rule: You may only corral or free-ranch slimes you have tamed. That is, if a slime was initially hostile to you, but then became friendly after eating something you shot out of your vacpack, then you can take it home and ranch it. Hoovering up regular slimes is okay as long as you discard them.

For more difficulty: You may not sell plorts you find in the environment.
For more difficulty: You may not use plorts you find in the environment for science.

For less difficulty: You may have a single pond of Puddle Slimes for science, but you may not sell them.

I have no idea how feasible this will be in the long run, especially with more hazardous slimes in far-off areas, but these are the rules I'm going with for this run I'm trying
Pigcatapult
Rancher

Re: [Challenge Run] Tamed Slimes Only

Postby EmeraldPlay » Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:57 am

That sounds good.
Will making hunter largos count too?
My avatar was taken from Miomilla's chart.

Not visiting this place as often so contact me on Discord if you want anything from me.
-----
Links:
The partnered Discord server for Slime Rancher I once moderated
Restored prototype features
EmeraldPlay
Treefox

Postby Pigcatapult » Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:32 am

EmeraldPlay wrote:That sounds good.
Will making hunter largos count too?

Yeah, Hunter Largos count. I think "as long as they happened naturally" would be most in the spirit of the challenge, but I haven't gotten nearly that far yet in my run, so I haven't had a chance to test whether that clause would be feasible in practice. Hunters are pretty rare in the first place, and if you want to be consistent with what it's largo'd with, then I think helping them along would be fair.
Pigcatapult
Rancher

Postby Pigcatapult » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:31 pm

[UPDATE!] So, uh, I got lost in Pokemon Sun/Moon for a few days and then Thanksgiving happened, but I've gotten back to my challenge run! Some things I've noticed so far:

*At the beginning, money is very tight and everything is slow.

Your newly-tamed Largos aren't hungry when you first pick them up because you just fed them. The lowest-maintenance Feral Slimes available at the start of the game are the Pink Rock Largos out past the Phosphor Gordo's cave, which is about as far from your ranch as you can get without a slime key. There's a natural food source in that little canyon, which makes it harder to keep track of which ones you've fed intentionally and which are accidental.

*Everything starts speeding up once you get your second set of Largos going.

The cave leading into the Indigo Quarry is near enough to your ranch that you can run the Pink Phosphors to a shaded corral during the day without them dissolving. (I'm assuming that they can still dissolve when they're on your vac nozzle, but I guess it's possible that I'm wrong.) You can also get them on the islands between the Dry Reef and the Moss Blanket, but that spot is further away, only works at night, and has a natural food source (the cave does not). Whether the Indigo Quarry's connecting cave having about three times more feral slimes than the connecting islands is a good or bad thing may be a matter of perspective.

Right now I'm saving up for some upgrades, but I'm undecided on whether I'd rather go for the feral Rad Booms in Indigo quarry or go Hunter hunting in the Moss Blanket. I'll keep y'all updated.

EDIT:
Hoo boy. Those feral Rad Booms are the most dangerous thing I've ever had to wrangle on the Range. Their location makes it very easy to simply fall to your doom, and you have to sit them down more than a couple times during the long trek home.

I'm also starting to realise that there are a few slimes beyond the Puddle one that you simply can't normally get in Feral form (e.g. the Crystal one and Tabbies, as far as I can tell), and I'm unsure how to proceed. Should one have to use Hunter plorts to get these bad beans?
Pigcatapult
Rancher

Postby WOLRUS » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:57 pm

On that, inside the Moss blanket, there are a bunch of feral honey hunters. I hate them to the ends of the world, as the get in the way so much. On crystals, they're nasty to begin with.
WOLRUS
Rancher

Location: The infinite void in the depths of the universe...kidding, an oasis in the Glass Desert.

Return to General Discussion