DRM free?

Feedback and general discussion of Slime Rancher

DRM free?

Postby malwilson » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:45 pm

First off i really enjoy your game so far and am looking forward to seeing where it will go.
However if its drm free whats really stopping anyone from just downloading the game without buying it like Terraria or something. I know a lot of people have only bought it because it was like 2$ on a steam sale or something.
Maybe i don't understand it, and someone could explain it better.
malwilson
Plort

Re: DRM free?

Postby Nakhryn » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:52 pm

It's going to be added on steam, hence why it has been greenlit. And hopefully Slime Rancher WILL require Steam to download and play the game at ALL times.

P.S: I might be totally wrong about what DRM is. If so, please enlighten me.
Sometimes I may be blunt, but it's for your own good.
Nakhryn
Rancher

Postby malwilson » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:58 pm

I was looking at their humble bundle https://www.humblebundle.com/widget/v2/ ... fLzikDZexU and it says you get a steam key along with a drm free version.
malwilson
Plort

Postby Regal » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:03 pm

malwilson wrote:First off i really enjoy your game so far and am looking forward to seeing where it will go.
However if its drm free whats really stopping anyone from just downloading the game without buying it like Terraria or something. I know a lot of people have only bought it because it was like 2$ on a steam sale or something.
Maybe i don't understand it, and someone could explain it better.

Don't worry about that stuff. The devs know what they're doing. Just worry about playing the game, find bugs and suggesting stuff.

(Note: This is not a comment to dismiss your concerns but plenty of games are DRM-Free and doing fine. I'm sure the devs know what they are doing.)
Pink Slimes. Stop.
Regal
Chickadoo

Postby Krakob » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:16 pm

DRM free means less time spent developing and/or implementing DRM and happier customers, as they'll have no issues with DRM. DRM is also the reason a lot of people choose to not buy certain games (especially among the Linux / FOSS people), so it is perhaps good for sales too.
Krakob
Admin

Postby malwilson » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:18 pm

So is the DRM free version a give away version for your friends or something?
malwilson
Plort

Postby Regal » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:36 pm

malwilson wrote:So is the DRM free version a give away version for your friends or something?

Sorta. Let's use the humble bundle for example:
The game Bastion is on there, so I can download it to my computer then install it and play it. But DRM free means I can go to my friends computer (or give him my log in info), log into my humble bundle account, download the game and install it on his computer. And we would both have a copy of the game now. You can only download it from my account but I can go onto any computer and download it there. Even a library computer.
Pink Slimes. Stop.
Regal
Chickadoo

Postby Krakob » Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:04 pm

Note that even if it's possible to very easily copy DRM-free games, it's still illegal to share in that sense. The primary appeal of DRM free is less support needed and higher customer satisfaction; no dev actually designs explicitly for ease of piracy.
Krakob
Admin

Postby Regal » Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:35 pm

Krakob wrote:Note that even if it's possible to very easily copy DRM-free games, it's still illegal to share in that sense. The primary appeal of DRM free is less support needed and higher customer satisfaction; no dev actually designs explicitly for ease of piracy.

Yeah! Don't do that. Super not ok.
Pink Slimes. Stop.
Regal
Chickadoo

Postby LordOmega » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:05 pm

Krakob wrote:DRM free means less time spent developing and/or implementing DRM and happier customers, as they'll have no issues with DRM. DRM is also the reason a lot of people choose to not buy certain games (especially among the Linux / FOSS people), so it is perhaps good for sales too.

exactly this.
Devs usually think having DRM their games will protect them from pirates, it almost never works for more than a few days and can ruin the experience for regular players
LordOmega
Plort

Postby Pigcatapult » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:42 pm

malwilson wrote:So is the DRM free version a give away version for your friends or something?

No. It's not. DRM-free is not an invitation to pirate it any more than a store not having a motion sensor that goes off when people walk through the door is an invitation to rob it.

It's DRM-free because the devs have chosen to trust their consumers instead of inconvenience all of the honest customers for the sake of temporarily staving off pirates.
Pigcatapult
Rancher

Return to General Discussion