Weather!

Feedback and general discussion of Slime Rancher

Weather!

Postby Sunkiller32 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:16 am

I was playing terraria and I remembered the video trailer of Slime rancher

Now I want to point out in terraria there is a weather event called 'Slime rain'

I think it would be great idea rain of slime applied to Slime rancher game

I don't know how but this would be like main idea

Starmail or an weather upgrade would appear about rain of slime

Slimes will fall from sky (either normal pink ones or all puddle slime)

This would make a cute caos on ranch too hitting air shields

What do you think?
Sunkiller32
Plort

Re: Weather!

Postby Azreide » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:20 am

I'd say it would need alterations (and absolutely no more pink slimes, please), but it has something there for it.
Azreide
Rancher

Postby Elskah » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:05 am

That sounds interesting, especially since it would interact with the air shields. Most of the slimes I have issues keeping inside their corrals are my phosphor/other slime largos, but I now have all of them in the cave section, so all of the air shields on my main ranch are seeming like useless upgrades. Having slimes randomly falling from the sky and threatening the air shields would be awesome as a challenge! Especially if they were pink slimes. I'd be very worried about my largos getting hold of pink plorts.

In Terraria, the Slime Rain spawns all different types of slimes, usually the common greens and a few less-common blues, but there can be rarer slimes raining down as well. To apply that to Slime Rancher would mean you'd mostly have pinks and a few rocks, with maybe some tabbies, booms, honeys and possibly puddles or even golds if you're extremely lucky. Again, though, the obvious issue with this would be Tarr! It would probably be something the player would need to be warned about some time before it starts, so they can set up ponds and stock up on water to combat the inevitable Tarr outbreak.
Those stripes, that tail, that wiggle, wiggle, wiggle.
Elskah
Rancher

Postby skydart » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:34 am

I don't know - you work a long time ar your farm and then with such a "slime rain" all will be gone, if you're unlucky? All slimes changed to something you didn't want, or mutated/tarred, or going wild because of the destroyed air shields?
skydart
Rancher

Postby Nakhryn » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:08 pm

It's a decent idea but there is two big problems with it.

1. You'd pretty much lose everything in your main Ranch when this event happens.
2. Performance issues. People have been complaining about loss of FPS when there are too many Pink Slimes so people with mediocre PCs wouldn't be able to play at all during the Slime Rain.

But I'm sure it could be added with some alterations to it. :D
Sometimes I may be blunt, but it's for your own good.
Nakhryn
Rancher

Postby Elskah » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:30 pm

Very true, my PC is total crap so I've had to reduce down to up to 10 slimes or 5 largos in any given corral in order to be able to move around my ranch with any kind of speed. So the slime rain would probably completely kill my poor laptop. I didn't even think of that until you mentioned it. >.<

You'd probably lose a lot from your main ranch, but the slime rain wouldn't affect anything in your cave expansion (because it has a roof!) and with enough forewarning, you could strategically place ponds and store some water in order to destroy any Tarr that spawn before they cause too much damage. It could also serve as an incentive to ranch with basic slimes instead of largos, since if a slime rain starts, you could just vac up all your slimes and sit and wait for it to be over. :P Overall I think it's an interesting mechanic to add to the game and I'd love to see it implemented somehow! (Especially since it interacts with the air shields. I don't need air shields for anything but my phosphor/tabby largos, and it would be awesome for them to be more useful.)
Elskah
Rancher

Postby Nakhryn » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:37 pm

Elskah, you do know there's a hole in the ceiling of the Grotto, right? xD
Nakhryn
Rancher

Postby GreenNinja » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:14 pm

Adding to your suggestion, I'd love the idea of adding weather conditions to the game and having new slimes that only spawn in specific types of weather, like some sort of Electric Slime that only appeared in storms, or Ice Slimes that spawned when it was snowing.
GreenNinja
Plort

Postby Elskah » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:21 pm

The hole in the Grotto ceiling is very small and wouldn't allow many slimes to fall into it during a slime rain, so anything in the cave area would still be mostly safe. Plus, it's not directly over any spots where you can put corrals, so it wouldn't be dangerous for your air shields, and the slimes probably wouldn't be able to get into the corrals.

About Ice Slimes, I was thinking there could be more biomes. Or, since the player is in a desert area, maybe other ranchers on the Range Exchange could be located in different biomes (tundra, marsh, etc.) and offer you slimes specific to those areas in exchange for slimes and plorts from the desert (like the Rock slimes). That would be an interesting way to obtain rarer slimes. :D
Elskah
Rancher

Postby Nakhryn » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:45 pm

Oh right... corrals. I totally forgot that there were corrals in the Grotto. My Honey Phosphor largos are completely free in it and all my gardens are producing Cuberries. :P

Woohoo my 200th post. :3
Nakhryn
Rancher

Postby Elskah » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:52 pm

I have 3 types of Phosphor largos in the grotto and one corral of Phosphors waiting for the Rad Slimes to be added. I can't really let them all wander freely. XD
Elskah
Rancher

Return to General Discussion