Game is not even out yet it's been pirated already.

Feedback and general discussion of Slime Rancher

Game is not even out yet it's been pirated already.

Postby raynewalker » Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:44 am

both v0.2.1 and v0.2.2 is out on the the "non-conventional" websites for everyone's use. Is it still piracy if it's free? Is the game getting too popular for its own good?
raynewalker
Rancher

Re: Game is not even out yet it's been pirated already.

Postby Krakob » Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:02 am

I'd argue this piracy isn't much of a problem. The pre-alpha kind of functions like a demo. Either way, the game will be super easy to pirate when it's out since it'll have a DRM-free release. I'm sure Monomi are very much aware and if they would've found piracy worrying they would've had stricter testing and DRM on release.
Krakob
Admin

Postby Alrom » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:00 am

I find that trying to fight piracy is kinda of a waste of time. And most often than not DRM kinda screws with the people who actually purchased the game.

I rather not mention names but a certain game with simple graphics got pirated a lot. In the end it was very well received, everyone talks about it and I'm sure it sold pretty well.

Meanwhile another really good game that was on early access had monthly updates. Then the dev spent two, almost three months trying to create a launcher to deal with piracy. In the end it was a gigantic waste of time and for a good week most people who brought the game couldn't even play it.
Alrom
Chickadoo

Postby Regal » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:12 pm

Alrom wrote:I find that trying to fight piracy is kinda of a waste of time. And most often than not DRM kinda screws with the people who actually purchased the game.

I rather not mention names but a certain game with simple graphics got pirated a lot. In the end it was very well received, everyone talks about it and I'm sure it sold pretty well.

Meanwhile another really good game that was on early access had monthly updates. Then the dev spent two, almost three months trying to create a launcher to deal with piracy. In the end it was a gigantic waste of time and for a good week most people who brought the game couldn't even play it.

I can only assume that second game you're talking about is either Diablo 3 or Sim City?
Pink Slimes. Stop.
Regal
Chickadoo

Postby Nakhryn » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:20 pm

IGGames pirates a lot of Free games and doesn't tell his "followers" (?) where to get it just to make money off of them. Anyway we shouldn't worry about piracy for now. It's not like we can do anything about it.

EDIT: The Open Pre-alpha is now CLOSED. You need to Pre-order the game in order to be able to play future Pre-alpha updates.
Sometimes I may be blunt, but it's for your own good.
Nakhryn
Rancher

Postby Blazing » Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:10 pm

Piracy will never be defeated but if worked together something powerful can be produced. At this very stage and time "any publicity is good publicity" and so that's why the game got greenlit so fast.
Do hit us up at The Sora League's Pokemon Showdown Server.
We are currently opened for Challengers and Members.
Hit the link above and be magically teleported to our server.

Youtube, Steam

See you on the Ranch!
Blazing
Chickadoo

Postby KitsuneRyo » Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:38 pm

Not sure Monomi Park is too worried about all that.... They're not putting updates out publicly any further, and the game is releasing this year..... In a way, they've already cut the piraters off at the pass. Their game demo is taking the internet by storm, it powered through Greenlight, and in general things are looking WAY up for them. I'm eagerly waiting for more news... if the new improvements are too much for me to wait for, I'll pre-order. If not, I'm okay waiting for the Steam release, which still supports Monomi.
KitsuneRyo
Rancher

Postby MaddamValky » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:14 pm

I actually pirated the later version to make sure I really enjoyed it before buying it... and yes, I did buy it :) but I probably am a rare breed on the internet.. I kinda feel that people really should pay for the game if they want to support game devs specially when a game is so worth it like this one is :)
MaddamValky
Plort

Postby foussi » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:03 am

Why do they pirate it if the download is plain easy.
foussi
Rancher

Game is not even out yet its been pirated already

Postby BrendaDexy » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:06 pm

I highly doubt that. I'm expecting the game to start getting pirated within the next month or so. Besides, where did you get that source?
BrendaDexy
Plort

Return to General Discussion