Suggestions and Ideas to Improve Gameplay

Feedback and general discussion of Slime Rancher

Suggestions and Ideas to Improve Gameplay

Postby Smith » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:53 am

This game is wildly addictive even in it's early testing form. It is also accessible and lots of fun for players at any age which is something kind of rare among new titles. I think these are it's best attributes that should be kept in mind when bringing new ideas forward. The biggest problem I hear anyone having right now is advancing their ranch to the point where they run out of things to do and get bored so they can either stop playing or start a new game. This will no doubt diminish as the developers continue to build on the game and add more features and complexity but having our ideas to pick through when making their own can only be a good thing. I've been thinking about this game a ton and want to share some of my ideas. Tell me what you guys think and share some of yours.

Keep in mind this is all just ideas to toss around. Nothing has to remain the same. I might update this if more ideas come.

1. Add consumable items to spend newbucks on. This could increase play time without turning the game into a grindfest. As it is, anything you spend newbucks on is a perminent upgrades and once you have them all you are at the end of the game. If you had to buy feed for hen hens, or fertilizer for crops, periodically you could have something else to spend your newbucks on to slow how fast you progress your farm. Other ways to slow how fast you progress would be making things more expensive or reducing plort prices but I feel that would just make it feel like grinding between upgrades. This way you can always have something to spend your money on.

2. Ideas to make higher tier slimes that are more interesting to keep and care for:
- A type of slime that eats other slimes and makes plorts. They could be made to roam at night and try to get into your corrals and there could be things you can buy to keep them out like traps, fences, or scareslimes. Or make them scared of hen hens. They could be kept on the farm and fed unwanted slimes to get plorts. That would make pink slimes really useful in late game. Maybe they could scrare the other slimes if they are kept too close.
- A type of slime that has a very limited selection of foods it can eat without dieing but will eat whatever it finds and accidentally kill itself so you need to take extra care what food you leave around it.
- An electric type that will shock you or other slimes that get close. A shock could piss off any other slimes it hits causing them to go full agro at the player if close.
- A Slime that will ram other slimes or hen hens and make them fly really far. I mean like the distance the vacuum gun can shoot something when aiming level. They could ram the player to the same effect for added difficulty.
- Slimes that die if they get wet.

3. Some plorts could be used for something other than just selling. Like boom plorts or electric plorts to power ranch equipment, or plorts to be fed to hen hens, or different ones used to make items the player can keep in inventory and use like healing plort goo or something to fast charge your energy, or using tabby plorts to make a goo that makes you jump higher and run faster for a few seconds.
Smith
Plort

Re: Suggestions and Ideas to Improve Gameplay

Postby nerdygamer » Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:46 am

if the future plot does not have it (i have a feeling a plot is already planned) what about boss battles? bigger than largo slimes that you have to defeat creatively like a puzzle game and they explode into slimes and plorts when defeated? better interactions between npcs on the trading post (chicken npc is best npc) and plorts that affect the environment like smith said, like water puts out fire obstacles, fire burns wood obstacles, explosion blows up rocks zelda style, etc?
nerdygamer
Plort

Postby shokrum » Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:41 am

a way to connect an auto harvester from the garden plots to the desired pen maybe? like take the pongofruit tree plot, add a auto harvester, and connect that to the feeder of your pink slime corral
shokrum
Plort

Postby Azreide » Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:24 am

I very much like all of these ideas, especially the 3rd. A developer response on this would be good.
Azreide
Rancher

Postby lodsofemone » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:09 pm

having a crafting system and using plorts with it would be a great idea
and for a slime that eats other slimes, i really think the Tarr should be factored into it. Maybe by making the tar they leave on the ground vacuum-able and then using it to make some tarr but not quite tarr monstrosity that makes tarr plorts.
for the roaming aspect, i think it could be taken a lot further. Full on tarr invasions, maybe even human (or vaguely humanoid) robbers! but fending them off would depend on what level of combat is planned, if it develops past just throwing stuff into the ocean or a furnace
lodsofemone
Plort

Postby Elskah » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:17 pm

Maybe if you vac up the tar that a Tarr leaves behind and feed it to a Pink Slime, you get a Docile Tarr or a Tarr Slime kinda thing, that won't actively try to hurt the rancher (but it can still hurt you like a rock slime can) and can eat meat or other slimes to make Tarr Plorts. And tying into the crafting system, the Tarr Plorts can be used to make scareslimes, and maybe other things to help the player against wild Tarr.
Those stripes, that tail, that wiggle, wiggle, wiggle.
Elskah
Rancher

Return to General Discussion