Personal Slime Ideas

Feedback and general discussion of Slime Rancher

Personal Slime Ideas

Postby YongYoKyo » Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:05 pm

Just a topic to organize my Slime ideas that I made up for fun. I'll be expanding on my ideas from the "Your custom slime!" topic, as well as adding some new Slimes I thought up.

Name: Oil Slime

Diet: Fruit

Favorite: Oilive (Oil + Olive)

Slimeology: Oil slimes are an unusual breed of slimes with fire covering their bodies. Their bodies shine with an orange-yellow glow and emanate heat. The oil slime resembles the natural oils found in the fruits and seeds of plants growing in the Far, Far Range. Despite their fierce appearance, oil slimes are actually quite fragile and will dissolve in water. Many ranchers make use of these slimes as a natural bonfire to cook s'mores.

Rancher Risks: Careless ranchers will end up being burned by the flames of the oil slime. Ranchers are recommended to seek out a nearby source of water should they catch on fire from playing with these fiery blobs. Oil slimes should be kept far away from any body of water as they will dissolve from prolonged exposure to liquids.

Plortonomics: As suggested by its flammability, oil plorts are an efficient combustible fuel source. Oil plorts are highly valued as an eco-friendly substitute to gasoline on Earth. They also tastes great in a salad vinaigrette.

Name: Bubble Slime

Diet: Meat

Favorite: Tallow Hen

Slimeology: Bubble slimes are carefree slimes seen sliding around the Far, Far Range. A rainbow sheen covers the semi-translucent white slime, and many small bubbles float around its body. The bubble slime convert the fatty lipids found in their diet of meat into a soap-like substance. Many ranchers are baffled by how these slimes are capable of moving and stopping despite their unruly slippery bodies.

Rancher Risks: Bubble slimes are friendly and playful slimes incapable of causing harm to a rancher. However, this playfulness makes the bubble slimes very difficult to handle. When ranchers come near them, bubble slimes become overly excited and start sliding around in erratic patterns. Ranchers will find themselves exerting a lot of effort just to handle these slimes that refuse to sit still. Bubble slimes are also known for sharing the fun. Any other slime breeds that make contact with a bubble slime will temporarily become slick and slippery themselves and start sliding around randomly.

Plortonomics: Bubble plorts are the most slippery substance in the universe. It is commonly used as an all-purpose cleaner on Earth, capable of washing off filth from any surface. Mothers adore these plorts as a non-toxic soap that does not sting the eyes of their babies and for their pleasant "Eau de Slimette" scent.

Name: Ferro Slime (named after Ferrofluid)

Diet: Veggie

Favorite: Polar Potato

Slimeology: Ferro slimes are a rare slime breed found in the underground coral caverns scattered around the Far, Far Range. It is a silver-grey slime covered in conical studs, and small streaks of purple electricity arcs across its body. Ferro slimes have the unusual ability to attract other slimes towards itself, resulting in large clumps of slimes. When a rancher encounters problems with their devices, a ferro slime is usually to blame.

Rancher Risks: The ferro slime's magnetic personality are the bane of ranchers. Other slimes will be drawn towards the ferro slime, resulting in the unintentional creation of largos and tarrs. The ferro slime's magnetic field can cause nearby devices to malfunction: air nets may become weakened, and plort collectors and autofeeders will occasionally not work.

Plortonomics: Ferro plorts are commonly used in devices and machinery for their magnetic properties. Unlike many other magnetic substances, ferro plorts will not lose their magnetism over time or in extreme temperatures. Children find themselves easily distracted playing with these plorts. Parents are advised to keep them away from the family computer.

I have a couple other Slime ideas I'm deliberating over before I post them, like some sort of Tree/Sapling Slime.
Last edited by YongYoKyo on Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:49 am, edited 5 times in total.
YongYoKyo
Chickadoo

Re: Personal Slime Ideas

Postby DeltaStorm » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:45 pm

This is just shoe horning alot of 'science' into the damn thing. 'The cells replicate the fatty lipids of the meat they eat'

So you're just saying they have cholesterol in their bubbles, which doesn't even make sense at all. If you are so keen on 'science' you would know that cholesterol is a chemical found in the blood and that if there is too much or too less of one type, then you risk stuff like heart disease. Not only that, it's part of fatty foods, and fat is also a lipid, so the bubbles would be carrying excess weight that would never be lost. Replicating a lipid is detrimential to the slime, why is this even here? Stop spouting words when you have no idea what they mean.
DeltaStorm
Rancher

Postby YongYoKyo » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:05 am

There's no need to be so rude; no need to carry over any grudges or bias from another topic to something I did just for fun. I don't see you complaining about whether radiation or explosions are detrimental to a slime's health. Also, I don't think heart diseases would matter to a slime.

If you couldn't tell already, the Bubble Slime idea was based on soap made from animal fat. I could've overcomplicated things and mention alkaline solutions and triglycerides but that wouldn't fit.

The "pseudoscience" parts of the Slimeology is modeled after the Slimeopedia pages for the Honey Slime, Phosphor Slime, and Boom Slime; such as the replication of natural substances, slime cells, chemical compounds in the plorts, and slime scientists. Though the Ferro Slime is a bit too complicated, I admit.
YongYoKyo
Chickadoo

Postby DeltaStorm » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:16 am

YongYoKyo wrote:There's no need to be so rude; no need to carry over any grudges or bias from another topic to something I did just for fun. I don't see you complaining about whether radiation or explosions are detrimental to a slime's health. Also, I don't think heart diseases would matter to a slime.

If you couldn't tell already, the Bubble Slime idea was based on soap made from animal fat. I could've overcomplicated things and mention alkaline solutions and triglycerides but that wouldn't fit.

The "pseudoscience" parts of the Slimeology is modeled after the Slimeopedia pages for the Honey Slime, Phosphor Slime, and Boom Slime; such as the replication of natural substances, slime cells, chemical compounds in the plorts, and slime scientists. Though the Ferro Slime is a bit too complicated, I admit.

Yes, but atleast the slimes, according to you have reasons to justify this happening.

The bubbles wouldn't be be able to store fat within them, unless you have scientific prof bubbles are magic and can keep fat in them.

The point I was making is: How can you complain about my ideas being far-fetched, when yours is equally far-fetched.

oh wait but i did the ghostly slime for fun, so you shouldn't criticize my ideas. -your amazing logic.
DeltaStorm
Rancher

Postby SpiralRancher » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:17 am

YongYoKyo wrote:Oil slimes are an unusual breed of slimes with fire covering their bodies.

I'm fairly sure an Oil Slime that is constantly set on fire would be a pretty bad thing to keep in a ranch, let alone try to vacuum and store into the VacPack. I assume dousing one with water would solve the probl-
YongYoKyo wrote:Oil slimes should be kept far away from any body of water as they will dissolve from prolonged exposure to liquids.

So much for the idea.
YongYoKyo wrote:Also, I don't think heart diseases would matter to a slime.

I guess it probably would matter a big deal to the people on Earth the Bubble Plorts would be sold to, though.
Last edited by SpiralRancher on Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
SpiralRancher
Rancher

Postby Azreide » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:19 am

Don't argue. This is a videgame, one that is clearly fantasy. Things don't need to make absolute sense. From a gameplay perspective they seem fine.
Azreide
Rancher

Postby YongYoKyo » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:25 am

DeltaStorm wrote:Yes, but atleast the slimes, according to you have reasons to justify this happening.

The bubbles wouldn't be be able to store fat within them, unless you have scientific prof bubbles are magic and can keep fat in them.

The point I was making is: How can you complain about my ideas being far-fetched, when yours is equally far-fetched.

oh wait but i did the ghostly slime for fun, so you shouldn't criticize my ideas. -your amazing logic.

There you go with the grudges. I wasn't complaining about your Ghostly Slimes being far-fetched; I was complaining about how "spirits" and "ghosts" wouldn't fit the sci-fi, futuristic-Earth setting of Slime Rancher.

As I mentioned, the Bubble Slime is basically soap now; the slimes turn the fat into soap through an unmentioned process. The bubbles aren't fat bubbles, but soap bubbles.
YongYoKyo
Chickadoo

Postby YongYoKyo » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:32 am

SpiralRancher wrote:
YongYoKyo wrote:Oil slimes are an unusual breed of slimes with fire covering their bodies.

I'm fairly sure an Oil Slime that is constantly set on fire would be a pretty bad thing to keep in a ranch, let alone try to vacuum and store into the VacPack. I assume dousing one with water would solve the probl-
YongYoKyo wrote:Oil slimes should be kept far away from any body of water as they will dissolve from prolonged exposure to liquids.

So much for the idea.
YongYoKyo wrote:Also, I don't think heart diseases would matter to a slime.

I guess it probably would matter a big deal to the people on Earth the Bubble Plorts would be sold to, though.

Yeah, maybe I should remove the "non-toxic" label to the bubble plorts.

There's not much reason for why the Oil Slime is on fire, other than an excuse to have a "fire slime."
YongYoKyo
Chickadoo

Postby SpiralRancher » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:37 am

I can't recall the last time I hamfisted my thoughts against someone else hamfisting theirs. Good times.
Azreide wrote:Don't argue. This is a videogame, one that is clearly fantasy. Things don't need to make absolute sense. From a gameplay perspective they seem fine.

Slime Rancher involves science (SLIME science) and economics. There has to be enough sense to maintain consistancy for players to help understand and direct what they should do and why.

For instance, it took me a stupidly long while to understand the apparent lag and idleness in Tabby Slimes' behavior when interacting with objects and what was up with the exclamative sound effect whenever they were present. Were it not for the description stating that they like to steal objects, I wouldn't have figured out the sense in putting the two occurances together and would have sooner sent a bug report about this when for all intents and purposes it was intentional all along.
SpiralRancher
Rancher

Postby Azreide » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:39 am

I'm meaning fantasy as in something that doesn't exist, it's not within the bounds of reality as we currently know it. But my main point is you shouldn't be having an arguement about this.
Azreide
Rancher

Postby SpiralRancher » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:53 am

Azreide wrote:I'm meaning fantasy as in something that doesn't exist, it's not within the bounds of reality as we currently know it. But my main point is you shouldn't be having an arguement about this.

Only as long as a concrete dictation (behind why I* shouldn't be having an argument about this) is anything but a fantasy in itself.

...which would null the point of asking other to stop arguing about it or arguing over that point in the first place. In which case it'd probably be best to let a thread develop on its own as not to hinder freedom of constructive discussions.

* Unless that was not a formal "you", then just people in general.
SpiralRancher
Rancher

Postby Azreide » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:14 am

I have no problem with constructive discussion and debate as long as it's not something with a genuine ill intent behind it :P
Azreide
Rancher

Postby Elskah » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:19 am

The oil slime sounds like a lot of fun; I'd personally want to make oil/boom largos and watch the chaos.

I do think the bubbles being made from fat into soap is kind of weird, but as Azreide's pointed out, the entire setting of Slime Rancher is fiction, and more than a little weird in itself. The idea of a bubble slime sounds absolutely adorable!

The Ferro slime messing with the corral upgrades seems like they'd be more of a nuisance than anything, though. It doesn't seem like there'd be any reason to keep them unless their plorts are ridiculously valuable, and even then I'd probably incinerate them, since they'd be more high-maintenance than I'd like. I think that idea needs a few tweaks.
Those stripes, that tail, that wiggle, wiggle, wiggle.
Elskah
Rancher

Postby YongYoKyo » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:05 pm

Elskah wrote:The oil slime sounds like a lot of fun; I'd personally want to make oil/boom largos and watch the chaos.

I do think the bubbles being made from fat into soap is kind of weird, but as Azreide's pointed out, the entire setting of Slime Rancher is fiction, and more than a little weird in itself. The idea of a bubble slime sounds absolutely adorable!

The Ferro slime messing with the corral upgrades seems like they'd be more of a nuisance than anything, though. It doesn't seem like there'd be any reason to keep them unless their plorts are ridiculously valuable, and even then I'd probably incinerate them, since they'd be more high-maintenance than I'd like. I think that idea needs a few tweaks.

When I was thinking about the Bubble Slime, I figured it would need to be made of soap. Many of the types of Slimes gain their properties either from their diet, environment, or an external source. Unless some rancher illegally (would it be illegal?) dumped hundreds of pounds of soap into the Slime Sea, the Bubble Slime would need a more natural source of soap. The first thing that came to mind is soap made from lye (made from wood ashes) and lard (animal fat). Wood or ashes aren't really available food sources for slimes, so I went with meat.

Yep, the Ferro Slime needs quite a bit of tweaking. Their plorts should be a bit on the pricey side. The main idea around the malfunctioning upgrades is to make ranching these Slimes more interactive. Once you get your ranch going and fully automated, you become so detached from your Slimes. You spend more effort messing with your Coops and Gardens than you do inside your Corrals. The Ferro Slime is my idea on trying to encourage the rancher to manually feed their Slimes and collect plorts, without having to introduce a new major mechanic. Though, it needs to be tweaked and balanced enough so that ranching these Ferro Slimes would be worth the effort.
YongYoKyo
Chickadoo

Postby Elskah » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:24 pm

Maybe going along with the Ferro Slime and the idea of more interactive ranching, there could be an upgrade for corrals (that the Ferro slimes couldn't deactivate) like a high-gravity upgrade, that makes it so slimes inside the corral can't be caught in the vac stream, but plorts and food can. It would probably need to be able to be toggled on and off though, otherwise if you needed to move your slimes for any reason you wouldn't be able to.
Those stripes, that tail, that wiggle, wiggle, wiggle.
Elskah
Rancher

Return to General Discussion