Are chickens supposed to try to escape?

Feedback and general discussion of Slime Rancher

Are chickens supposed to try to escape?

Postby SpiralRancher02 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:35 pm

Currently I'm using Coops purely for storage of important hens (what do you mean I'm supposed to use Silos?), with 2 right next to each-other, one containing Roostros and the other containing Stony Hens.

While they don't seem able to escape while I'm at my ranch, sometimes I'll come back to find that there are several Hen Hens in my Stony Hen coop and an Elder Hen/Elder Roostro or two. The population of Stony Hens is also slowly increasing.

How is that happening? Are Roostros able to escape their pens? And even then, why/how would they get over the other coop's walls?
From Pink Slimes to Gold Slimes, every slime has a place in life... Except rad slimes, nobody cares about those.
SpiralRancher02
Rancher

Re: Are chickens supposed to try to escape?

Postby JRH99 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:38 pm

Are the coops in the overgrowth? because my chickens in coops seems to disappear with no reason T_T (probably a bug ;-; ).
*Sorry bad english* XD
My suggestions thread!
http://forums.monomipark.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=5226&p=38041#p38041
JRH99
Chickadoo

Postby Nakhryn » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:38 pm

From what I've seen they usually try to escape when there's more than 3 Roostros and/or 12 hens in the same coop (please do not quote me on that). :P
Sometimes I may be blunt, but it's for your own good.
Nakhryn
Rancher

Postby SpiralRancher02 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:48 pm

JRH99 wrote:Are the coops in the overgrowth? because my chickens in coops seems to disappear with no reason T_T (probably a bug ;-; ).

No. And they're not disappearing, the Roostros are somehow moving to a different coop.
From Pink Slimes to Gold Slimes, every slime has a place in life... Except rad slimes, nobody cares about those.
SpiralRancher02
Rancher

Postby Shadowkitsune » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:00 pm

I have seen a few roostros jump really high into the air once they mature from chickadoos, and it usually happens after sleeping. I have yet to see it happen to a hen.
Life Goal: Not get carpel tunnel from stippling 3 hours straight
Probably the most antisocial, sarcastic, shenanigan-inducing human to ever exist-- until you start talking about animals, or music, or art. . . Then I won't shut up. . .
Shadowkitsune
Chickadoo

Postby VivitheWizard » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:15 pm

if the coops are right next to each other, then the roostros may be causing the henhens and stony hens to lay eggs which hatch. The resulting chickadoos and stony chicks have a small chance of growing up into roostros. It may be a bug since they are in different pens, but an understandable one because their pens are only a few steps apart.
VivitheWizard
Plort

Postby Nakhryn » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:22 pm

SpiralRancher02 wrote:
JRH99 wrote:Are the coops in the overgrowth? because my chickens in coops seems to disappear with no reason T_T (probably a bug ;-; ).

No. And they're not disappearing, the Roostros are somehow moving to a different coop.

You do know that Stony Chickadoos and Chickadoos have a small chance of becoming Roostros, right?
Nakhryn
Rancher

Postby KitsuneRyo » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:14 pm

MMmm, I've had henhens and roostros appear OUTSIDE the coop before when they start getting crowded... I thought it seemed similar to how over crowded corrals will have escapes if you are gone too long.... but never had a roostro actually move to another coop. If there's a new roostro inside the coop, there's not one missing from another, so I know it grew from a chickadoo. So... I don't know what to say? You don't have any eldre roostros showing up, and you're not finding the missing roostro wandering around nearby?? Because if not, I'm at a loss.
KitsuneRyo
Rancher

Postby SpiralRancher02 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:47 pm

Nakhryn wrote:
SpiralRancher02 wrote:

You do know that Stony Chickadoos and Chickadoos have a small chance of becoming Roostros, right?

I have no Roostros in that pen, only in the one next to it. No Chickadoos could be produced.
SpiralRancher02
Rancher

Postby Nakhryn » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:48 pm

SpiralRancher02 wrote:
Nakhryn wrote:
SpiralRancher02 wrote:

I have no Roostros in that pen, only in the one next to it. No Chickadoos could be produced.

You don't need a Roostro to produce Chickadoos. It only increases the rate at which Chickadoos spawn.
Nakhryn
Rancher

Postby SpiralRancher02 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:11 pm

Nakhryn wrote:
SpiralRancher02 wrote:
Nakhryn wrote:
SpiralRancher02 wrote:

You don't need a Roostro to produce Chickadoos. It only increases the rate at which Chickadoos spawn.

It says nothing about that in the Slimepedia. And from all previous experience, no Chickadoos are normally produced without a Roostro present in the Coop.
SpiralRancher02
Rancher

Postby Elskah » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:38 am

I had a lot of issues with Hen Hens, Stony Hens and Roostros randomly disappearing from my coops, and I couldn't find them, even after searching my entire ranch... I do know that Roostros and Hen Hens can and will jump out of your coops though. It only happened to me a lot before I upgraded the walls, but even with the higher walls I noticed some were getting out occasionally. With their coops being so close, you could've had a Roostro jump from one into the other. I don't know how likely it is, but the possibility is there.
Those stripes, that tail, that wiggle, wiggle, wiggle.
Elskah
Rancher

Postby Gobledigmus » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:09 am

Elskah wrote:I had a lot of issues with Hen Hens, Stony Hens and Roostros randomly disappearing from my coops, and I couldn't find them, even after searching my entire ranch... I do know that Roostros and Hen Hens can and will jump out of your coops though. It only happened to me a lot before I upgraded the walls, but even with the higher walls I noticed some were getting out occasionally. With their coops being so close, you could've had a Roostro jump from one into the other. I don't know how likely it is, but the possibility is there.

Yeah, you're right, they will jump out of it sometimes if you don't have the High Walls Upgrade. In the description of this upgrade it already tells you that it doesn't only protect Slimes from getting in, but also prevents the chickens from escaping the coop. I can imagine that some chickens still get out with the upgrade if they somehow manage to push each other up into the air if one chicken jumps and then the other one jumps at the already flying one from under it. It sounds hillarious but I can imagine it quite well. ^^

Nakhryn wrote:You don't need a Roostro to produce Chickadoos. It only increases the rate at which Chickadoos spawn.

Are you sure? Because my experience is that there really don't spawn any chickadoos without a Roostro being in the coop. I tried it out when I played the playtest version the first time. I have only put hens in the coops and no roostro, just to find that out. After several days I still didn't see any chickadoos. If the roostro isn't actually needed for chickadoos to spawn the spawn rate without it must still be so low that it's next to nothing.
Gobledigmus
Rancher

Return to General Discussion