Plort Balancing and other suggestions

Feedback and general discussion of Slime Rancher

Plort Balancing and other suggestions

Postby Regal » Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:42 pm

Alright, this is gonna have a few suggestions but let's just start with the most important one: Plort value balancing

Little context, pretty sure I "finished" the pre-alpha. Bought both plot areas, got every slime (except the gold, green slime). And here's what I can tell so far.

Honey slime is OP. First of all, I hate Boom Slime. Sorry if one of the devs like them but I dont. It's so much easier to have 4 plots of honey slimes with the rest being mint mangos then it is to have any other slime. Honey slime dont hurt you, honey ports are worth as much as boom ports, and I can keep more than 20 honey slimes in a pen unlike boom slimes. I can't seem to keep more than 10 slimes without them escaping into another pen. Puddle slimes are worth twice the amount of honey slimes but I can't seem to keep more than 5 puddle slimes in a pond. Rock plorts aren't worth the effort, phosphor plorts aren't worth the effort, puddle plorts aren't as available and take up more space. It seems like honey slimes are the way to go to make huge money with little effort. Also I have honey plorts near other slimes but they could never get out of their pens so the downside of honey plorts is null.
So what do I suggest? Well it's hard for me to say exactly. There's a few things, make honey plorts less valuable, make honey slimes rarer, make honey slimes attract bees or something, make it so you have to have more than a few slime types (but this doesn't help that much).
This is more of a personal thing than anything else but Im not sure why honey is more valuable than minerals from rock ports. Rock ports are used in space crafts and honey ports are bad for you (but that's just my opinion).

Other mini suggestions:
1. When you use the jet-pack it sounds like a slow steady stream of farts (not sure if intentional or not but I don't love it).
2. Maybe slimes could wonder into your ranch or something. I don't even see a reason for Scareslime at all.
3. Less pink slimes, please, for the love of God. Less pink slimes. There are pink ports and pink slimes everywhere and it's so annoying.
4. Some sort of crafting with plorts to make upgrade for your gun thingy.
5. A "Deposit all plorts button" and "Deposit all plorts in current stack" button. (Shooting 200 plorts take a while).
6. You should be able to have more than 1 full stack of the same anything.
7. The ability to capture gold slimes, out of the few hours I've played I've only encountered 1 gold plort and 1 gold slime on different occasions.
8. The ability to teleport to other areas at your base. Walking can be a huge drag. I wouldn't mind paying 1,000 each or something.
9. Another thing about the jet-pack, slightly faster vertical push while using more energy would be nice.
10. Ability to increase your inventory slots, I'm sure you guys were already thinking about it but just in case.
11. Slime entries on individual largos. That'd be nice.
12. Plort market doesn't fluctuate enough to care about making a small loss when you sell plorts. (That's just my opinion, I'm sure you guys are already thinking about expanding it)
13. Those areas with aggro slimes seem super pointless cuz I can just run past them very easily
14. I was serious about less pink slimes. Please............... Please.

Well I think that wraps it up. I'm running around the world looking for stuff but I'm sure I can come up with a million more tiny suggestions (for examples the extra plots you buying being slightly closer to the main area or whatever). If you want some more I'd be happy to share. Good job with what you have so far. I'm kinda in love with this game. It's so beautiful and polished and finding bugs is hard.

Quick edit/suggestion: When you pause you can hear the chickens still clucking. Not sure if it's a bug or not but when I click off the window I can still hear em. Please, stop the clucking.
Pink Slimes. Stop.
Regal
Chickadoo

Re: Plort Balancing and other suggestions

Postby Nakhryn » Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:17 pm

1-3-9-13-14 Are all based on opinion and to be honest they're not really important nor needed.
2-5-6-8-10-11-12 Are pretty good ideas and might be already being worked on.
4 If you could give some examples on what the upgrades would be like, it would help a lot.
And for 7... I'm confused. You say that Honey slimes are too "Op" yet you want to be able to capture golden slimes which produce the most expensive plorts in the game.

And for the first paragraph, it's called progression. Honey slimes aren't really op unless they're Boom Honey largos.
Sometimes I may be blunt, but it's for your own good.
Nakhryn
Rancher

Postby Regal » Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:28 pm

Nakhryn wrote:1-3-9-13-14 Are all based on opinion and to be honest they're not really important nor needed.
2-5-6-8-10-11-12 Are pretty good ideas and might be already being worked on.
4 If you could give some examples on what the upgrades would be like, it would help a lot.
And for 7... I'm confused. You say that Honey slimes are too "Op" yet you want to be able to capture golden slimes which produce the most expensive plorts in the game.

And for the first paragraph, it's called progression. Honey slimes aren't really op unless they're Boom Honey largos.

Yes. Everything that I said is an opinion, but that's what makes it a suggestion. Not necessarily super important but just an ideas to make the game a little more polished.

Yes, honey slimes are OP in my opinion (from what I've played so far) because of how tame they are and easy to kept fed and I have way more money than I'll ever need for anything. Haven't really gotten into largos but I dont think you'd be able to keep too many compared to the honey slimes alone (especially if they're constantly exploding).

Also, about capturing gold slimes, yes. Getting a gold slimes every 7 days doesn't seem too OP compared to having 80 honey slimes in 4 corrals.
Pink Slimes. Stop.
Regal
Chickadoo

Postby SpiralRancher02 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:54 pm

@ #11

No. This would result in way too many entries, and this is entirely unnecessary as you can just look at the slimepedia entries of the two parts and combine the information to get all you need to know.
From Pink Slimes to Gold Slimes, every slime has a place in life... Except rad slimes, nobody cares about those.
SpiralRancher02
Rancher

Postby Nakhryn » Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:57 pm

SpiralRancher02 wrote:@ #11

No. This would result in way too many entries, and this is entirely unnecessary as you can just look at the slimepedia entries of the two parts and combine the information to get all you need to know.

Nick said that they are already working on it.
Nakhryn
Rancher

Postby Regal » Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:59 pm

SpiralRancher02 wrote:@ #11

Well the devs feel the need to add largos, I think that there might as well be entries on them to make the game more in-depth. Flesh out the game a little more. Something to do eventually.
Pink Slimes. Stop.
Regal
Chickadoo

Postby xenxander » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:11 pm

I want an uber-expensive upgrade to the vac-gun to allow collecting of largos. It may only be able to collect 1/2 of the current capacity (10, 15, 20, 25) and I wouldn't mind if it took two slots as well.

Even with those restrictions, it would be a huge help.
xenxander
Rancher

Postby Nakhryn » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:17 pm

xenxander wrote:I want an uber-expensive upgrade to the vac-gun to allow collecting of largos. It may only be able to collect 1/2 of the current capacity (10, 15, 20, 25) and I wouldn't mind if it took two slots as well.

No. Everything you're suggesting makes the game extremely easy and boring. You're trying to change the mechanics to fit your style of gameplay. Largos are made to be unable to fit in your Vacpack and we want it to stay that way. It's one of the things that makes them different and it's why you need to be cautious while handling them inside or outside your corral.
Last edited by Nakhryn on Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nakhryn
Rancher

Postby xenxander » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:20 pm

Nakhryn wrote:
xenxander wrote:I want an uber-expensive upgrade to the vac-gun to allow collecting of largos. It may only be able to collect 1/2 of the current capacity (10, 15, 20, 25) and I wouldn't mind if it took two slots as well.

No. Everything you're suggesting makes the game extremely easy and boring. You're trying to change the mechanics to fit your style of gameplay. Largos are made to be unable to fit in your Vacpack and we want it to stay that way. It's one of the things that makes them different and it's why you need to be cautions while handling them inside or outside your corral.

"We" want, or 'You' want? There 'is' a difference. I did mention it could be an 'optional' and 'uber-expensive' upgrade, after all. don't like it, don't use it, right?
xenxander
Rancher

Postby Regal » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:28 pm

Nakhryn wrote:

No. Everything you're suggesting makes the game extremely easy and boring. You're trying to change the mechanics to fit your style of gameplay. Largos are made to be unable to fit in your Vacpack and we want it to stay that way. It's one of the things that makes them different and it's why you need to be cautions while handling them inside or outside your corral.

I don't appreciate the tone you're giving. This is a developing game and everyone is entitled to their own opinions. Just because you dont like an idea that doesn't mean it's not important or necessary. All ideas can lead to even more, bigger ideas. Try to be more open, instead of dismissive.
Pink Slimes. Stop.
Regal
Chickadoo

Postby Nakhryn » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:32 pm

Regal wrote:
Nakhryn wrote:

I don't appreciate the tone you're giving. This is a developing game and everyone is entitled to their own opinions. Just because you dont like an idea that doesn't mean it's not important or necessary. All ideas can lead to even more, bigger ideas. Try to be more open, instead of dismissive.

I understand that. It's just that xenxander's ideas ALWAYS benefit the players too much. I'm just trying to make him realize that.
Nakhryn
Rancher

Postby Viking » Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:45 pm

Nakhryn wrote:

So... 'Stop playing how you want, play how I say'?

There are some valid points here. The pink slimes are a massive pain, especially for those of us with bad computers. I don't even like leaving my ranch because the massive build up thats been created makes it horrible to even walk around.
On the point of sucking up largos: Why not exactly? It really isn't difficult to handle them in the ranch, starve them for a day and put a pile of food behind your house. The only thing this would do is make it easier to get wild ones out of the way to suck up the things you want. Its a convienence thing, no game's style should be 'We have a frustrating minor mechanic that gives a headache'.

Also agreed with Regal: Pink slimes are bloody annoying and really need to be held back some and the aggro slimes are entirely pointless.

My own suggestions now (Ain't I a talker?)
1. Change how largos are handled. Instead of it being the result of every slime mixing make it a sort of failed experiment, implement actual slime breeds you have to make yourself.
2. Tarrs are pointless to a rancher, I only deal in largos and I've never had one in the ranch. They only show up in the field because of all the pink slimes. Even then they're pointless as they go away on their own and hardly target the player.
3. Make plort able to be used on the ranch. Pink plort could be used in everything as the multipurpose one, a sort of base material. Rock can be used to make higher tier corrals. Tabby can be used to give small speed and jump buffs that lose effectiveness the more you use it (An off period to readjust). Phosphor slimes to make your jet pack or flashlight better. Honey slimes can give a daily energy boost and heal a bit of health, or build corrals that aid breeding/attracting slimes. Boom plort to make the incinerator and pulse upgrade, maybe a vac gun sucking speed upgrade. Puddles to build water/farming structures. Rad plort when they come out can give more energy resources or power some structures.
4. Undersea exploration would be cool. Take a look into the slime sea just to check out whats down there, maybe raise special slimes in an undersea ranch extension.
5. Remove the existing aggro slimes, instead have any slimes in a corral you neglect to feed go aggressive and actively try to escape.
6. A extra inventory slot upgrade. Just one, maybe two.
7. This is more for when there are tons of slime types. But when there are only allow a few to exist in each range, the other types you have to make via plort feeding or the range exchange quest thing. Gives an incentive to do those little quests, you could slowly but surely build up a corral of rare exotic slimes.
8. *Alternative to plort use. Have a plort processor, plonk some in and get a resource out. Say tabby plort, shoot some in with a shot of honey plort and you get an energy drink that gives a day long buff.
Viking
Plort

Postby DeltaStorm » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:00 am

Viking wrote:
Nakhryn wrote:

So... 'Stop playing how you want, play how I say'?

There are some valid points here. The pink slimes are a massive pain, especially for those of us with bad computers. I don't even like leaving my ranch because the massive build up thats been created makes it horrible to even walk around.
On the point of sucking up largos: Why not exactly? It really isn't difficult to handle them in the ranch, starve them for a day and put a pile of food behind your house. The only thing this would do is make it easier to get wild ones out of the way to suck up the things you want. Its a convienence thing, no game's style should be 'We have a frustrating minor mechanic that gives a headache'.

Also agreed with Regal: Pink slimes are bloody annoying and really need to be held back some and the aggro slimes are entirely pointless.

My own suggestions now (Ain't I a talker?)
1. Change how largos are handled. Instead of it being the result of every slime mixing make it a sort of failed experiment, implement actual slime breeds you have to make yourself.
2. Tarrs are pointless to a rancher, I only deal in largos and I've never had one in the ranch. They only show up in the field because of all the pink slimes. Even then they're pointless as they go away on their own and hardly target the player.
3. Make plort able to be used on the ranch. Pink plort could be used in everything as the multipurpose one, a sort of base material. Rock can be used to make higher tier corrals. Tabby can be used to give small speed and jump buffs that lose effectiveness the more you use it (An off period to readjust). Phosphor slimes to make your jet pack or flashlight better. Honey slimes can give a daily energy boost and heal a bit of health, or build corrals that aid breeding/attracting slimes. Boom plort to make the incinerator and pulse upgrade, maybe a vac gun sucking speed upgrade. Puddles to build water/farming structures. Rad plort when they come out can give more energy resources or power some structures.
4. Undersea exploration would be cool. Take a look into the slime sea just to check out whats down there, maybe raise special slimes in an undersea ranch extension.
5. Remove the existing aggro slimes, instead have any slimes in a corral you neglect to feed go aggressive and actively try to escape.
6. A extra inventory slot upgrade. Just one, maybe two.
7. This is more for when there are tons of slime types. But when there are only allow a few to exist in each range, the other types you have to make via plort feeding or the range exchange quest thing. Gives an incentive to do those little quests, you could slowly but surely build up a corral of rare exotic slimes.
8. *Alternative to plort use. Have a plort processor, plonk some in and get a resource out. Say tabby plort, shoot some in with a shot of honey plort and you get an energy drink that gives a day long buff.

He wasn't even talk to you or OP. Keep to yourself.
DeltaStorm
Rancher

Postby Gobledigmus » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:04 am

@ Nakhryn: Even though I also don't like the idea of being able to suck in largos because that would make everything too easy I also think that you could have said that a little more friendly.

@Viking:
To 2.: I agree. Tarr are a little too weak at the moment. They could be made a little faster and aggressive towards the rancher, because even on places that are full of Tarr (which will never exist in the playtest version if I don't just ignore the Tarr outbreak, because they're just too weak for now and I bet the publishers will make them a little more dangerous even without our suggestions). Their speed in eating other slimes is good enough, but towards the rancher they appear to be very weak.

Because of the pink slimes: I don't have any problems with them and I think for mostly all newer games you will need a pc that can handle situations like that. I really love those endless cute piles of Pink Slimes and enjoy them everywhere they are.

To 1.: I don't know exactly. It could be very interesting to see more specific largos instead of just being exact the mix between two Slimes. But I also really enjoyed it the way it already is, because that way you can mix up the Slime's features how you need them and by that adapt to different strategies of ranching. I don't exactly know what of both I would like more.

To 8.: I would also really like an alternative use for plorts that isn't too overpowered. Mixing of only two plorts for a day long buff sounds way too easy to me, but there could be other ways, for example a new building you could buy where you put in certain amounts of (different) plorts for certain recipes. Those recipes could be randomly found in the already existing crates (besides the other things that you can get out of them) and all have their own Plort costs for being manufactured.
I could even imagine plorts as an additional cost for certain upgrades so that you can only progress towards those upgrades if you were able to get some plorts of a certain Slime.

To 4.: Undersea Exploration as a new area sounds nice. Imagine you already visited nearly all places on the island, but now you want to see more: After having seen mostly everything else you will have unlocked an upgrade that allows you to dive into the Slime Sea and discover some things there. But in my opinion you should only be able to enter into the Slime Sea at certain spots on the map as a kind of entrance into it. The other spots of the Slime Sea are way more acidic and would decompose you even with the Diver Upgrade. That would prevent the upgrade from being overpowered and only make it to be some kind of key to a new level of the map, nothing more.

To 5.: There can't be enough dangers in the game. Removing the already-easy-to-deal-with aggro Slimes would be unneccesary as long as there won't appear other dangers in exchange to that.

To 6.: A single inventory slot upgrade for a huge amount of money seems quite reasonable to me, but also isn't thaaat important. It still would be nice.

But I really also wish a more challenging gameplay... But well, discussing that would belong into another thread.

@Regal:
I love the Boom Slime. It's one of the small amount of Slimes yet that are at least a little dangerous. And I love some challenges. :)
But I agree with the Honey Slime thing: Of course it's just some kind of progression that you get a more valuable type of Slime later on, but I would also wish that it had some more peculiar features to it. Something that differs it from the Pink Slime in more than only it's Plort's worth. But it's also okay as it is, because the market price for the honey plorts can still go down and make the more dangerous Slimes be worth more money than the Honey Slime.
But yes: A little decrease in the Honey Plort's worth would be nice. It doesn't have to be much to change the gameplay a lot.

I don't like the ideas that simply make the game more easy for the player, for example being able to catch the Gold Slime. Also that doesn't make sense, because the only thing that makes the Gold Slime so special is that you absolutely can't catch it and also can't mix a Slime with it's Plorts to a largo. That's why it is worth so much money. The Slime seems to be for that kind of players that love treasure hunting: They will wander out into the wilderness only to find crates and/ or the Gold Slime and get some of it's Plorts. That's what the Gold Slime is about and I like it.

To the Pink Slimes: The same that I wrote to Viking: I love them the way they are and the huge piles of those small, cute looking Slimes are warming my heart like nothing else. :D

Teleporting... Hmm... No, that won't be needed. I can already see that there will be many new paths you can wander through in the later versions of the game. You could use them as a shortcut, so teleporting would be unnecessary.
When the player wants to get somewhere he should at least have to travel a little bit. Yeah, if there were no shortcuts teleporting to some kind of checkpoints wouldn't be bad, but I think there are enough ways that make your trip to the other places of the map way shorter, so that teleporting isn't needed. But who knows? Maybe the publishers will add some more teleporting to the game.

Yeah, the Aggro Slimes are really to easy to deal with. Just run past them.
I think there should be some kind of Slime that can make it more hard for you to get past it and will be used as a part of the largo combination for the aggro Slimes in the future.
But well... They are probably not meant to be a great danger, but rather introduce you to the fact that such aggro Slimes exist. They are the first naturally existing aggro Slimes you see in the game, so that's not that big of a deal.
I'm sure that the publishers will add some way more dangerous aggro Slimes in future areas where you also have a hard time at dodging them because of small paths and areas, the need to jump from platform to platform over the Slime Sea, and other things like that.

A faster way to deposit all Plorts would be great. At the moment depositing the Plorts is a really boring thing. You stand there for a minute holding the left mouse button.
It wouldn't make you overpowered on any way, it would only get rid of the long waiting time that is included with depositing a huge amount of Plorts.

I bet the publishers will make it possible that you can have more than one stack of something. If they don't, then that is obviously intended for the reason of balancing.
Also I'm sure that they will make the market fluctuate more than it does at the moment. Why shouldn't they? :)
Last edited by Gobledigmus on Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gobledigmus
Rancher

Postby Regal » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:52 am

Gobledigmus wrote:@ Nakhryn: Even though I also don't like the idea of being able to suck in largos because that would make everything too easy I also think that you could have said that a little more friendly.

@Regal:
I love the Boom Slime. It's one of the small amount of Slimes yet that are at least a little dangerous. And I love some challenges. :)
But I agree with the Honey Slime thing: Of course it's just some kind of progression that you get a more valuable type of Slime later on, but I would also wish that it had some more peculiar features to it. Something that differs it from the Pink Slime in more than only it's Plort's worth. But it's also okay as it is, because the market price for the honey plorts can still go down and make the more dangerous Slimes be worth more money than the Honey Slime.
But yes: A little decrease in the Honey Plort's worth would be nice. It doesn't have to be much to change the gameplay a lot.

I don't like the ideas that simply make the game more easy for the player, for example being able to catch the Gold Slime. Also that doesn't make sense, because the only thing that makes the Gold Slime so special is that you absolutely can't catch it and also can't mix a Slime with it's Plorts to a largo. That's why it is worth so much money. The Slime seems to be for that kind of players that love treasure hunting: They will wander out into the wilderness only to find crates and/ or the Gold Slime and get some of it's Plorts. That's what the Gold Slime is about and I like it.

To the Pink Slimes: The same that I wrote to Viking: I love they the way they are and the huge piles of those small, cute looking Slimes are warming my heart like nothing else. :D

Teleporting... Hmm... No, that won't be needed. I can already see that there will be many new paths you can wander through in the later versions of the game. You could use them as a shortcut, so teleporting would be unnecessary.
When the player wants to get somewhere he should at least have to travel a little bit. Yeah, if there were no shortcuts teleporting to some kind of checkpoints wouldn't be bad, but I think there are enough ways that make your trip to the other places of the map way shorter, so that teleporting isn't needed. But who knows? Maybe the publishers will add some more teleporting to the game.

Yeah, the Aggro Slimes are really to easy to deal with. Just run past them.
I think there should be some kind of Slime that can make it more hard for you to get past it and will be used as a part of the largo combination for the aggro Slimes in the future.
But well... They are probably not meant to be a great danger, but rather introduce you to the fact that such aggro Slimes exist. They are the first naturally existing aggro Slimes you see in the game, so that's not that big of a deal.
I'm sure that the publishers will add some way more dangerous aggro Slimes in future areas where you also have a hard time at dodging them because of small paths and areas, the need to jump from platform to platform over the Slime Sea, and other things like that.

A faster way to deposit all Plorts would be great. At the moment depositing the Plorts is a really boring thing. You stand there for a minute holding the left mouse button.
It wouldn't make you overpowered on any way, it would only get rid of the long waiting time that is included with depositing a huge amount of Plorts.

I bet the publishers will make it possible that you can have more than one stack of something. If they don't, then that is obviously intended for the reason of balancing.
Also I'm sure that they will make the market fluctuate more than it does at the moment. Why shouldn't they? :)

This is how you kindly reply to a thread.

You can love pink slimes all you want but once you actually reach mid-game to late-game they can be super annoying with plort everywhere. I wish I knew where the screenshots were saved so u could see all this crap everywhere. Have to go around and shoot pink plorts into the sea.

At least we can agree on the honey slime. Maybe the value of plorts can decrease the more you give. Wouldn't it make sense for all these ranchers to be only interested in the most valuable plort on the market and we would see an increase in even pink plort value cause all ranchers go for boom slimes and honey slimes eventually?

Being able to capture the gold slime makes perfect sense. What makes it any different from other slimes? It's made of gold? I think it should be treated like a regular slime. I'm 20 days in and have seen 2 gold slimes. I noticed you gotta hit it with stuff in order for stuff to pop out. How about we just treat them like regular slimes that need to be fed and poop out gold plort every few days? I would have 2 gold plort by now at day 20, them pooping out plorts valued at 500. I can keep 25+ honey plorts in a area, honey plorts are usually worth 30~ making my profit over 750 per corral. And here I am getting 500 from a gold slime every once in a while that was super hard to catch.

I used my jetpack to get around for a bit. It didn't look like any shortcuts were in the areas being developed. There could have been but I doubt it.

I actually met the Tarr before I saw any aggro slimes. There's really no point for them. I get hit even with 100 health and I just walk past them. Dont even have to run cuz I know there's no other dangers ahead.

Also I dont agree with the "Can't be enough dangers in the game" comment you made to viking. Removing something pointless like aggro slime polishes the game. Just imagine a food type that can't be eaten, like fish. But there aren't any slimes that can eat them. There's no use for it, you would remove it. Same thing with the random aggro slimes. I WALK past them just to show them my dominance. Never take more than 40 health.
Pink Slimes. Stop.
Regal
Chickadoo

Postby Elskah » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:15 pm

I think the point of the pink slimes is to be ridiculously annoying? Having less of them would kind of defeat the purpose. But maybe there could be an upgrade for your vacpack so that you can toggle on/off whether or not you can pick up pink slimes and/or pink plorts?

I do agree that the honey slimes seem to be rather overpowered if that's what you're going for, but I'm enjoying my game with some honey/tabbies, boom/tabbies, rock/tabbies, and a cave of 4 phosphor largo corrals. :3 There doesn't seem to be a need to min/max like you're suggesting, since I've got about $10k sitting around and not being used currently. Plus, I'm not sure what the base value of a honey plort is, but the first time I sold honey plorts they were worth about $50 each, and then for the next 3-4 days they were worth between $20 and $33. I ended up having almost 200 plorts in my silo, because I didn't want to sell them for half their value. (I guess this also ties into the market thing? It got pretty annoying for me over a few days when my boom, honey, and puddle plorts lost a quarter or half of their value and wouldn't go back up. That's where my tabby and phosphor plorts became useful, because their values don't fluctuate nearly as much!)

I think the Scareslime is supposed to be for people that have slimes that they let roam loose on their ranch (although I don't see why that would ever be a good idea). There's too much distance between the entrance of the ranch and where the slimes start to spawn for them to randomly wander in on their own, although I have had it happen a few times. In another thread, someone suggested a "slime rain" random event, which I thought would be awesome. Every now and then, random slimes falling on your ranch, messing with your air shields, and dropping plorts into your carefully-maintained largo pens would be so chaotic, but so hilarious. It would definitely be challenging though, so I can see why some people wouldn't like it. Maybe there could be a difficulty setting? Like, easy difficulty = plorts are worth tons, upgrades are cheap, less chance of Tarr, etc. Medium difficulty = Slime Rancher as we know it. Hard difficulty = plorts are worth next to nothing, upgrades are slightly more expensive, more aggressive wild largos, and chances of slime rain. I feel like that would be really hard to implement, but now that I've thought about it, I really want it to happen. >.<

Deposit all plorts/moving one stack of items at a time instead of one by one? Yes. Please.

I agree that saying honey slimes are overpowered and then suggesting we be able to capture gold slimes doesn't make much sense. The point of gold slimes is that they're rare and elusive, and difficult to get anything out of. Maybe instead of capturing gold slimes, there could be an expensive corral upgrade that allows the slimes in the corral to eat gold plorts, and thus become gold largos? For example, a gold tabby largo would eat meat and typically drop 2 tabby plorts, with a relatively small chance of dropping 1 gold plort. When it eats its favorite food (in the case of tabbies that would be stone hens), it's guaranteed to drop 2 tabby plorts, and the other 2 plorts have a high chance of being tabby and a small chance of being gold. (I hope that makes sense. >.<) It would make it slightly easier to get gold plorts, but it would be expensive to make and not be ridiculously profitable, so I feel like it would be more fair than just having gold slimes on your ranch.

I agree that the teleporter at your base should be 2-way! Even if it costs some money to teleport, I'd really prefer it to running all the way from my base out to where the mint mangos grow to check if there are any more puddle slimes in the river. >.<

Having more than one stack of the same thing? And more inventory slots? Again: YES. PLEASE.

About the largos: Individual entries seem a bit pointless, but I agree they would flesh out the game a bit more. I'd at least like a general entry on both largos and gordos as you discover them, because when I first saw them I had no idea what they were. I only had one corral to start with and I found a Tabby slime on my first day, so I just tossed it in with my pink slimes. Rest in peace, tabby slime, you will be missed. (Well, I guess it's probably still out there, considering I just tossed it into the slime sea. But still.)

And about xenxander's idea with vac'ing up largos, I do think that it kind of defeats the purpose of them being largos. Maybe for a very high price you could buy a "largo vacpack" type thing, with only one inventory slot, that can hold (at base?) up to 5 largos of a single type. Since it would be a separate vacpack that you could switch to, it wouldn't have your health/energy/jetpack/sprint/etc upgrades that your normal vacpack has, either. And you wouldn't be able to switch back to your normal vacpack while your largo vacpack had slimes in it. So it would really only be useful for moving largos between corrals on your base, or maybe picking up largos and bringing them back. But like the pink slimes being made to be annoying, I think largos are made to be nearly impossible to move with any kind of efficiency. If you wanted to change that, there would have to be some pretty strict limits in order to make it fair. At least that's my opinion.

I agree that Tarr are too weak! (See my above suggestion of slime rain and difficulty levels.) I also think there should either be a reason to tame Tarr/keep them on your ranch, or a kind of slime that eats other slimes to make plorts. (Would give us a use for all those pink slimes!)

Using plorts for other things is another idea I want to see implemented. I actually had an idea for a type of slime, like a trash or compost slime, that eats fruits and/or vegetables to make compost plorts, which you can use to fertilize your gardens and speed up their growth. O:

Don't take anything I said here too seriously, and I'm sorry for the long rambling >.< I just like adding on to other people's suggestions! I really do like most of the ideas in this thread :D
Those stripes, that tail, that wiggle, wiggle, wiggle.
Elskah
Rancher

Postby Gobledigmus » Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:13 pm

Elskah wrote:I think the Scareslime is supposed to be for people that have slimes that they let roam loose on their ranch (although I don't see why that would ever be a good idea).

It actually works out great! I already did that with various types of Slimes, even with Rock Tabby Largos and Boom Honey Largos. It even seems to be way more effective to not build any coral at all in the current playtest version, because there are no dangers that would walk all the way to your ranch and mess that ranching strategy up, even though you don't put the Slimes into corals. That way you have a lot of free construction places left. It's very efficient when you build like four fully upgraded gardens except the Scareslime Upgrade so that they can feed themselves there and you don't even have to care about them (you only need to replant the seeds after some days like always). This already works from the beginning but first you will need to build multiple gardens without upgrades because a new garden is cheaper than the sprinkler upgrade that doubles the growth of your plants.
I could also tell you more about that, but all this information doesn't really fit into that thread. I already posted about that in another thread in this forum but I guess I'm not allowed to post a link to that thread here without a very good reason.

Elskah wrote:[...] but it would be expensive to make and not be ridiculously profitable, so I feel like it would be more fair than just having gold slimes on your ranch.

I don't think that it's only about the fairness with the fact that you can't capture the Gold Slime. It's even more because the mysterious Gold Slime's concept is all about finding him every now and then instead of being able to fully capture it.
Even though your ideas sound reasonable there's still the problem that the story of the Gold Slime tries to make it mysterious and unknown. Somewhere in the game you can read that people claim that the Gold Slime is a pure myth and doesn't even exist. Everything that is special about the Gold Slime would be destroyed if you could capture it and the now so mysterious Gold Slime would become quite boring for most of the community.
It could be quite an adventure for a player searching for Gold Plorts, even though it may possibly not be quite as efficient as just ranching other valuable Slimes over the same amount of time you need to catch a Gold Plort.
Just finding it and looking at its shimmering texture can pay off for the player. But that depends on the player of course.
If he could just get any Gold Plorts by ranching a Slime on any way all the hype about the Gold Slime wouldn't exist anymore and after the first Gold Plort you found you wouldn't even try to find a Gold Slime anymore. Why should you if you already have the chance of dropping Gold Plorts with the Slimes in your ranch by mixing them to a Largo as soon as they eat a Gold Plort?
The fact that you want to be able to capture it even though you seem to get more Newbucks another way makes it very probable that you think about it the same way. Imagine you could capture it. The Gold Slime would become boring after about two hours of having it in your ranch, especially if you had more than just one of them.
Also if you could create Largos that have a chance of dropping Gold Plorts: One is already worth a lot of money, but imagine you use the Plorts it drops to create even more Gold Largos. For every single Largo you get by that you would have another free Gold Plort producing Slime. There would be no way to balance that if the developers don't decrease the price of Gold Plorts by a massive amount. But if they did the Gold Plorts itself wouldn't be special anymore at all.

Elskah wrote:Don't take anything I said here too seriously, and I'm sorry for the long rambling >.< I just like adding on to other people's suggestions! I really do like most of the ideas in this thread :D

Nothing to worry about, why shouldn't you write some longer posts? ^^
That's what this forum is about: Discussing suggestions for the game and report problems you may find while playing it, isn't it? ^^
Last edited by Gobledigmus on Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Gobledigmus
Rancher

Postby Elskah » Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:43 pm

That's all very true, and I do agree that the Gold Slime shouldn't be captured, but I suggested a solution for the people that would want it to be tameable.

Thank you for all of your kind words! I usually worry that I'm being too wordy when I write long posts, so having positive feedback is really nice <3 I'll be sure to check out your other thread on letting slimes wander, too. It sounds interesting if you can manage to keep your slime varieties down to just a few... but I want to have all of the Tabby Largos. >.<
Elskah
Rancher

Postby Regal » Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:13 pm

Gobledigmus wrote:I don't think that it's only about the fairness with the fact that you can't capture the Gold Slime. It's even more because the mysterious Gold Slime's concept is all about finding him every now and then instead of being able to fully capture it.
Even though your ideas sound reasonable there's still the problem that the story of the Gold Slime tries to make it mysterious and unknown. Somewhere in the game you can read that people claim that the Gold Slime is a pure myth and doesn't even exist. Everything that is special about the Gold Slime would be destroyed if you could capture it and the now so mysterious Gold Slime would become quite boring for most of the community.
It could be quite an adventure for a player searching for Gold Plorts, even though it may possibly not be quite as efficient as just ranching other valuable Slimes over the same amount of time you need to catch a Gold Plort.
Just finding it and looking at its shimmering texture can pay off for the player. But that depends on the player of course.
If he could just get any Gold Plorts by ranching a Slime on any way all the hype about the Gold Slime wouldn't exist anymore and after the first Gold Plort you found you wouldn't even try to find a Gold Slime anymore. Why should you if you already have the chance of dropping Gold Plorts with the Slimes in your ranch by mixing them to a Largo as soon as they eat a Gold Plort?
The fact that you want to be able to capture it even though you seem to get more Newbucks another way makes it very probable that you think about it the same way. Imagine you could capture it. The Gold Slime would become boring after about two hours of having it in your ranch, especially if you had more than just one of them.
Also if you could create Largos that have a chance of dropping Gold Plorts: One is already worth a lot of money, but imagine you use the Plorts it drops to create even more Gold Largos. For every single Largo you get by that you would have another free Gold Plort producing Slime. There would be no way to balance that if the developers don't decrease the price of Gold Plorts by a massive amount. But if they did the Gold Plorts itself wouldn't be special anymore at all.

I think I have the right to capture gold slimes if I want. They aren't any different from other sliimes, just rarer. Change the slime mechanic to match other slimes and put it so u can feed it every other day, we're good.
I want it more as a trophy rather than a actual money maker.
Pink Slimes. Stop.
Regal
Chickadoo

Postby Greenly » Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:44 pm

It would be nice to capture them but i don't believe it's necessary.

If they were to be catch able, maybe to balance the gold slimes, upon vacing they no longer drop "real" gold plorts but instead drop "fools" gold plorts. They would be worth pink, rock, tabby, or phosphorus plorts, possibly? That way, you can still capture them but the elusive wild ones would still have the more valuable plorts.
Greenly
Plort

Postby Elskah » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:53 am

Greenly wrote:It would be nice to capture them but i don't believe it's necessary.

If they were to be catch able, maybe to balance the gold slimes, upon vacing they no longer drop "real" gold plorts but instead drop "fools" gold plorts. They would be worth pink, rock, tabby, or phosphorus plorts, possibly? That way, you can still capture them but the elusive wild ones would still have the more valuable plorts.

+1 to this. Sounds like a really good idea for people wanting a Gold as a trophy!
Elskah
Rancher

Postby Gobledigmus » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:59 am

Greenly wrote:It would be nice to capture them but i don't believe it's necessary.

That's a great idea, I really like it. That way the Gold Slime would still stay as special as it is and keep the worth of it's Plorts at the current height.
Gobledigmus
Rancher

Postby Regal » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:03 pm

I feel like if the gold slime had an even lower spawn rate and can only be found in a super dangerous area with tarr all around I think that it would be worth capturing them IF they changed the gold slime mechanics to regular slime mechanics. (Hope that made sense)
Pink Slimes. Stop.
Regal
Chickadoo

Postby Regal » Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:03 pm

How do we know if devs have noticed our threads?
Pink Slimes. Stop.
Regal
Chickadoo

Postby Pigcatapult » Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:47 pm

Regal wrote:How do we know if devs have noticed our threads?

We don't.
Pigcatapult
Rancher

Return to General Discussion