Range Exchange update?

Feedback and general discussion of Slime Rancher

Range Exchange update?

Postby Shugarshock » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:46 pm

I'm not sure if this has been thought of before. If it has, ignore me XD

I was thinking, when I use the range exchange, no matter what I've unlocked or achieved, I generally get the same requests. I was wondering if what the other NPCs asked you for could be updated each time you discover something for the Slimepedia.

For example, say you unlock the Moss Blanket and vac up some honey slimes. You hear the little ding noise, and the Slimepedia has updated with the honey slime info, right? So now that the game knows that honey slimes have been "discovered", Mochi Miles can ask for honey plorts. Maybe when you vac up a mint mango, Oden asks for some. This can really vary up the way the range exchange works.

It could also provide a larger incentive to explore. After a while, the only thing that keeps me in a save file is challenging myself to complete the Range Exchange for the day.

It's just a thought, but what do you guys think?
Shugarshock
Rancher

Re: Range Exchange update?

Postby EmeraldPlay » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:53 pm

That'd be nice, however the first requests (when NPCs introduce themselves) you'll get from them should be with basic items/slimes, no matter what.
My avatar was taken from Miomilla's chart.

Not visiting this place as often so contact me on Discord if you want anything from me.
-----
Links:
The partnered Discord server for Slime Rancher I once moderated
Restored prototype features
EmeraldPlay
Treefox

Postby Shugarshock » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:58 pm

Of course! it has to be fair. What I'm suggesting is an increase in what they ask for when a new item/slime is discovered/entered into the slimepedia. We can't have Mochi asking for Rad Plorts on the second day!

Speaking from a coding perspective, if the set up for any NPC using the Range Exchange is a randomized pull from a select group of items, is it possible to add to that group? Or, conversely, is it possible to block access to particular parts of the group so that they are not selected until a certain requirement is met?

Think of it this way: Mochi Miles is an NPC that will only ask you for plorts. At the beginning of the game, she will ask for pink, phosphor, tabby, and rock plorts. This group of items, plorts, is what the game randomly pulls from in order to create an order on the Range Exchange. If you later "discovered" a honey slime (in the game's terms, vacuuming it up and registering it in the Slimepedia), would it not make sense for honey plorts to be added to the group of plorts Mochi can "choose from"?

(don't mind the colors btw. I'm having way too much fun in the html of this, auhuehuehue~)
Shugarshock
Rancher

Postby EmeraldPlay » Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:11 am

It should be rather easy to do and implement for devs.

Not visiting this place as often so contact me on Discord if you want anything from me.
-----
Links:
EmeraldPlay
Treefox

Postby Nick » Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:27 pm

You're all actually describing how the system works: another rancher should never request anything you can't actually obtain. So if you unlock the moss blanket, ranchers will now ask for moss blanket stuff.

If you're not experiencing this, please let me know!
Nick
Developer

Postby EmeraldPlay » Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:54 am

I'm not.

In one of my saves I unlocked both the Moss Blanket and the Indigo Quarry and watched every day up until day 30 what others ask for on the exchange to test this. Not even once someone requested anything that's exclusive to these two areas.

-----
Links:
EmeraldPlay
Treefox

Postby Shugarshock » Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:51 pm

I'm definitely not either. I never get anything other than requests for the following items:

- pink plorts / slimes
- phosphor plorts / slimes
- rock plorts / slimes
- tabby plorts / slimes
- carrots
- heart beats
- pogo fruit
- cueberry
-Hen hen
- Stony Hen
- Roosters
Shugarshock
Rancher

Postby asdfghjklinkin » Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:36 pm

I've never been asked for anything from the Moss Blanket. I don't remember if I have been asked for anything from the Indigo Quarry.
I'm Linkin.
asdfghjklinkin
Rancher

Postby Shugarshock » Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:24 pm

If this is an issue for a lot of people, should we just wait for Nick and the gang to see this post again? I'd imagine it would be a terrible idea to just bombard him with emails and tweets and pms about it. I'm just glad that we found the error tbh! And its just a minor thing, so its not game-breaking XD
Shugarshock
Rancher

Postby Nick » Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:03 pm

We're looking into it, thanks.
Nick
Developer

Postby Shugarshock » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:45 am

Yay! Thanks Nick <3

I guess we should close this thread down, huh?
Shugarshock
Rancher

Postby Nick » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:19 pm

We found the source of the problem and it will be fixed in the next update.
Nick
Developer

Postby Shugarshock » Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:38 pm

Hey I hate to be a bother, but I'm still not finding any new range exchange requests. I'm on Day 21 and I've explored both the Moss Blanket and the Indigo Quarry. Is there a certain number of range requests I need to complete in order to unlock new requests?
Shugarshock
Rancher

Return to General Discussion