New Corral + Slime Suggestion!

Feedback and general discussion of Slime Rancher

New Corral + Slime Suggestion!

Postby Fallowsthorn » Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:42 am

TLDR: Build a compost heap, supply it with rotten fruit and veggies, and watch it attract Shroom Slimes.

Long version: it seems kind of weird that rotten fruit just vanishes when you suck it up, and also that a working farm doesn't have any kind of "natural recycling," as it were. So, why not solve one problem with another?

Option A: add a "compost heap" or similar option alongside the corral, coop, pond, etc, options. This would let you potentially have more than one.

Option B: you know that space between the house and the Plort Marketplace? You know how it doesn't have anything in it? We can fix that! In this case, that would be the only compost heap on the ranch (though perhaps an upgrade could be purchased that allows more than one?).

Regardless of how it's set up, the compost heap would require a certain amount of fruits and veggies (doesn't really matter if they're rotten or not, at this point, since ripe food becomes rotten food without intervention) before it would be functional (like, imagine if you had to fill ponds manually before you could do anything with them). At this point, you would be able to purchase a Plort Collector and Autofeeder, etc, for it. After a certain amount of time (randomized within a certain interval, like maybe a week IG), Shroom Slimes would begin to appear in your compost heap, and as long as you keep them supplied with produce, they'll produce plorts for you.

Shroom Slimes, like Puddle Slimes (at least as far as I know), cannot create or become Largos. They are mostly rooted in place, but when they're occasionally spotted bobbing and rolling around, their pale cream underside can be seen. The rest of their body is a rich red color, with white spots scattered irregularly on their tops. Potential short description: Their plorts are surprisingly popular among the college-aged children of the wealthy elite. Average value would be around 45. (I am not sure how balanced this is, please bear with me.)

Other notes/ideas:
- Your compost heap, depending on size, would max out at about 6-10 slimes.
- Autofeeder could potentially be called "Fermenter" and only dispense rotten food? Or maybe Fermenter is the only way to feed them, since they don't bounce around as much.
- You can vac up Shroom Slimes, but they need the nitrogen-rich environment of the compost heap to survive, and will wither if left anywhere else too long.
- ??? If anyone else has suggestions, I'll add them here!
Fallowsthorn
Plort

Re: New Corral + Slime Suggestion!

Postby Gobledigmus » Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:03 am

Sounds very interesting. But the game would still need to let fruit and veggies disappear over time, otherwise it could occur that you have endless heaps of them laying on your farm leading to a bad game performance or even crashes.
So if you could recycle the rotten fruits I would say they should still disappear if you let them lay on the ground for too long.

Also the compost heap would need more use than just as a coral for special kind of Slime species otherwise it wouldn't make sense to implement it, even if there existed a Mushroom Slime (then I would just put it into the coral like every other Slime except for the Puddle Slime). The pond can also be used for getting water instead of only functioning as coral for the Puddle Slimes.
Gobledigmus
Rancher

Postby Fallowsthorn » Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:20 pm

Yes, of course, stray objects would clean themselves up if left alone, the same way Slimes/Plorts/Tarrs/any other thing does. For that matter, I think rotten food cleans itself up already - the only difference here is that it would be an interactable object.

I see your point about the compost heap being too specific. How about this: when you build/make/purchase/get the compost heap, you automatically get a % bonus to any gardens you have (whether that's in the form of faster growing, a better yield, whatever), and that bonus can be upgraded. Or it could be modelled more like the pond, and you could vac up nutrient soil from it, which would... uh, be helpful somehow, I'm not quite sure yet. Water refills ponds and neuters/kills Tarrs, so... I'm still thinking along the lines of a farming bonus, since it logically follows.
Fallowsthorn
Plort

Postby Nakhryn » Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:35 pm

Fallowsthorn wrote:Yes, of course, stray objects would clean themselves up if left alone, the same way Slimes/Plorts/Tarrs/any other thing does. For that matter, I think rotten food cleans itself up already - the only difference here is that it would be an interactable object.

I see your point about the compost heap being too specific. How about this: when you build/make/purchase/get the compost heap, you automatically get a % bonus to any gardens you have (whether that's in the form of faster growing, a better yield, whatever), and that bonus can be upgraded. Or it could be modelled more like the pond, and you could vac up nutrient soil from it, which would... uh, be helpful somehow, I'm not quite sure yet. Water refills ponds and neuters/kills Tarrs, so... I'm still thinking along the lines of a farming bonus, since it logically follows.

But Farming is already extremely fast and efficient. Devs would need to change the growing rate of the veggies and the fruits to make this slightly usefull. But the idea isn't bad.
And maybe you could find some Shroom slimes in the caves because it wouldn't make any sense to impliment slimes exclusively spawning in your Range.
Sometimes I may be blunt, but it's for your own good.
Nakhryn
Rancher

Return to General Discussion