Major Crash on Mac (El Capitan 10.11.1)

Feedback and general discussion of Slime Rancher

Major Crash on Mac (El Capitan 10.11.1)

Postby Hexlash » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:01 pm

During one of my play throughs, my entire mac crashed and had to restart. I believe I had just walked out of a chicken coop (After I discovered some slimes had gotten to all my Roosters!) and I pressed a key. I think it was 'w' but I'm not certain. The game froze, and then faded to a black screen informing me my mac had crashed.

Upon startup, I agreed to sending an error message to Apple, and the window with further information popped up. It had messages referencing the kernal having encountered a possible memory leak. I am unsure if this relates directly to the game, but I have never encountered this error before. I was also running a google hangouts call, if that could provide any more evidence into the crash.

(Edit*) Hardware: Macbook Air Mid 2013, 4GB, 1.3 GHz Intel Core i5, Intel HD Graphics 5000 1536 MB
I'm glad the game saved my progress before the crash, though!
Hexlash
Rancher

Re: Major Crash on Mac (El Capitan 10.11.1)

Postby Hexlash » Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:59 pm

It occurred once more, so I was able to recall more details.

The sound freezes and the game becomes unresponsive right before it fades to the error message. This time I was standing at the top of a wall overlooking the (latter part of) Moss Blanket.

Part of the debug info retrieved from mac's error report after restart, if it means anything to you:
*** Panic Report ***
panic(cpu 0 caller 0xffffff8016728dd4): "zalloc: zone map exhausted while allocating from zone kalloc.4096, likely due to memory leak in zone kalloc.4096 (454774784 total bytes, 111029 elements allocated)"@/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/xnu/xnu-3247.10.11/osfmk/kern/zalloc.c:2543
Hexlash
Rancher

Postby Nick » Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:49 pm

I'll pass this info along to Mike, thanks.

I don't know what's causing that but I'm wondering if perhaps a mac air is a little lightweight for a physics-heavy 3d game like SR. The specs seem ok but you never know with a laptop. My guess is onboard graphics card might have some difficulty with everything that's going on. For reference, have you played any other visually comparable games to SR on it? Like I said, just a guess until we can dig deeper.
Nick
Developer

@Nick

Postby Hexlash » Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:02 pm

I agree that perhaps my Mac Air just can't handle it, but I have played Skyrim with no problems before.

If you need any system data, or me to test anything, I'll be glad to do it. In the end it could just be an isolated issue, and maybe you'll get an idea of the minimum system requirements.
Hexlash
Rancher

Postby Nick » Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:06 pm

While every game is certainly different, Skyrim is no slouch so maybe it's something else. In any case a bug report if you see anything degrading or suspicious could help but any other logs you've got, send em our way.
Nick
Developer

Postby Fate » Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:08 pm

Air can usually handle these things, its not too heavy on the processor. Maybe corrupt data or faulty extraction? I'd check into it.
Fate/Prometheus~
Fate
Chickadoo

Return to General Discussion