First Impressions and Suggestions

Feedback and general discussion of Slime Rancher

First Impressions and Suggestions

Postby Monkeychow01 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:39 pm

So first things's first....GREAT game. I saw you on paulsaurjr's channel, and had to pick this game up. It has a hint of "Elebits" (donno if you played that...different game...but it's an itch that I have been meaning to scratch and this did it). I'm also compulsive, so this ALSO scratches that itch. Going to start this off on "great job"! This game is going to catch on if you keep going with it the way you are!

Ok so here's some suggestions from playing this for multi hours today :

- At first I didn't see any purpose to buy to Auto-Feeder. Then after quite a while of playing, I saw that food decays on the ground. But it took me quite a while to notice that. I would just chuck food into the corals, and not think anything of it. It's not easy to notice with a bunch of slimes in there that they "decay". So my suggestion would be to find a way to let new players know that food "decays".

- For some reason, even if "soothed", and musiced, and "happy" (per looking at their faces), if you have a ton of Slimes in a coral, they still group up in one corner and stand on each other. Now I can think of multiple reasons for this : going for other food? Seeing other slimes they want to go towards? Going towards a garden next store? Bug? But it's something to look into. I found it weird.

- New bug made me cry (I already reported it to you guys). I had to save to go eat...came back and my silos were empty!!!!! Spent a lot of time saving up..and they were gone :( They were in the caves if that helps anything.

- So it took a while to realize this, but Gardens eventually "run out". It's hard to tell when they are "empty" though. Outside of checking the button, or trying to chuck another food in, I couldn't easily tell they were empty and I needed to "save one" to put into it. You might want to add some sort of visual indicator that the garden is "spent". The hard part is "when" it goes dead. For instance, it's not instantaneous. The tree disappears AFTER I already left and picked everything up. So just something to play around with.

- Could we have the ability to "sell" some of our equipment instead of paying 100 to "sack" it? Especially in the early game when you realize you didn't need to build certain things, or wanted to "move" them, then it's costing you quite a lot to "rebuild". Worth it to think of potentially another way around this.

- Find a way to give you the ability to make corals "bigger". When you start making Largos, they add up. and it makes it tough to put the same amount into the corals. Since you only have a limited amount, it makes it tough to find the right balance.

- Slight bug, but maybe not really? If you vaccum too close to the Poop collector? It will fly out all over the place. Sometimes right back into the coral! I think it's a distance thing. If you're too close, it flies. But it's not intuitive how close you need to be.

- Something weird that I found was that very early game you can get the Phospho Slimes at night. You then build up the corals to keep them, which includes the solar protection. You spend all that money just to find out that the caves are a better home. Then you have to sack the old one (see previous point), and build a new one. The progression of this seems off. Might be something to look into.

- End game - So after a day of playing? I THINK I've gotten through it all, and tons of money. That's probably quicker than you want right? I'm not sure the right thing is to slow everything down *per say*, but it might help in making it take longer to get through everything. I'm not sure of your roadmap, but it might be something to think about what your end game might be.

So again, please don't take any of the above as bad. I love the game. I think this has great potential. Just wanted to throw my 2 cents in for things to look at.
Monkeychow01
Chickadoo

Re: First Impressions and Suggestions

Postby Nakhryn » Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:13 pm

Alright. For points 3 and 4 it's been fixed in version 0.2.2 . For #8 you don't have to destroy the corral that you made for your phosphor slimes as all the other types of slime (except Puddle) can live in a fully upgraded corral. #7 Is just that you're standing too close and it's not really something that they could fix without changing the Plorts collector completely. For #2 it's totally natural that they're going to try to escape if they're 20 in the same corral. And finally, selling stuff you don't need would let you outpace the game in the first 2-3 days instead of 5-6.

P.S: Sorry for my poor sentence structure. It's 2 am and I'm kind tired. Q_Q
Sometimes I may be blunt, but it's for your own good.
Nakhryn
Rancher

Return to General Discussion