Slime Rancher Playthrough

Feedback and general discussion of Slime Rancher

Slime Rancher Playthrough

Postby Medium » Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:23 pm

System I am using:
Macbook Pro Retina 13-inch (Summer of 2014)
8 GB Ram, Intel Core i5, 2.6 GHz
Mac OSX v10.9.5

Going to try to record my plays and see if I bump into anything weird along the way:
Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3V8bD25gmIU
Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2nbRm6 ... e=youtu.be
Part 3: https://youtu.be/mWJztJMJuBY

Part 1 thoughts:
-Cute, and I'm glad it's available on Mac OSX (not to mention it runs well on OSX)
-Fluid controls, I like how I'm able to sprint, considering the size of the world
-Tutorial could have gone on for longer, imo
-Parts of the tutorial had stars indicating where the player was suppose to go (for example, stars indicating where the already built corral was), were not really obvious. The first time I played through, I didn't notice the existing corral (derp) and went ahead and built a new one. Maybe something that is more newbie friend would be a tracker arrow on the bottom indicating which way player should be moving at the beginning as a guide

*Adding thoughts along as I go
Last edited by Medium on Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:52 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Medium
Plort

Re: Slime Rancher Playthrough

Postby Medium » Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:09 pm

Part 2: https://youtu.be/N2nbRm6CW0o
More notes:
- I didn't really know corrals could be upgraded (I was very confused when tabby cats started jumping out of mine and I just thought they weren't store-able until, well, I realized I could upgrade the corrals - maybe add something in a tutorial for this?)
- Tarr: Keep these a hidden surprise until players get hit with one. But, once hit, I would make some tutorial popup saying: "Shoot water at these to defeat them!" I only knew because I had other friends playing Slime Rancher as well
- Map + overlay map please!
- I didn't look in upgrades for this specifically, and I will next time I play, but I hope there are upgrades to your inventory. Maybe like a backpack and the quick slots on the bottom can be items that players want for immediate use
- Still find it annoying when I'm in corral and want to collect items other than slimes but the slimes get sucked into my VAC as well. Maybe have an option, or possibly an upgrade to have the VAC selectively suck in stuff while in the Corral?
Medium
Plort

Postby Kiba » Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:36 pm

The post I'm replying to is already a few days old so you may already know this, but...

Your corral upgrades can include an automatic plort sweeper that'll suck out just those for you into a ported chamber on the corral's corner. You can then schlorp the plorts from the ports, of course.
Kiba
Rancher

Postby Medium » Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:52 pm

Oh cool, thanks I'll check out the upgrade next time!
Medium
Plort

Postby Medium » Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:52 pm

Part 3: https://youtu.be/mWJztJMJuBY
Thoughts & Notes:
~Please more backpack space ;-; please.
~Slimes seem to be jumping out of Corrals a lot for me, it's probably because I have too many in them, bought high wall upgrades for all of my corrals, how many slimes can fit into 1 corral without jumping out? I had ~8 rock slimes in one and they were fine for 1 day but then started to jump out. I'm guessing the more agitated and upset they get, the more likely they'll jump out
~Slimes have facial expressions, sweet
~Still kind of confused on how to use the coop, is it just a place where we place baby chickens for safety? Is there a breeding thing we can do? (My roosters were actually eaten earlier on so I have no clue)
~What's the point of the roof upgrade for the corral? (The upgrade that covers the top of the corral for a limited # of hits) I imagine people would just buy the high walls upgrade that is permanent to prevent their slimes from jumping out rather than this temporary cover. Maybe make this upgrade cheaper?
EDITS:
~Garden? I think I did everything right by shooting a vegetable into the...uh thing..but does anyone know how long it takes for them to grow? An improvement to this would be to have a timer where the player can see how long it would take.
Medium
Plort

Postby SpiralRancher02 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:12 pm

Medium wrote:~What's the point of the roof upgrade for the corral? (The upgrade that covers the top of the corral for a limited # of hits) I imagine people would just buy the high walls upgrade that is permanent to prevent their slimes from jumping out rather than this temporary cover. Maybe make this upgrade cheaper?

It's permanent. It takes a few hits, then automatically recharges in a few seconds for free, you don't have to repurchase it.

Medium wrote:~Please more backpack space ;-; please.

Already exists. Notice that little button next to a shopping bag screen on your ranch? Press the button to buy a few things, including more vacpack space (+10 for each upgrade, up to 50).

Or do you mean more item slots? Those upgrades increase the space in each slot, but not the number of slots.

Medium wrote:~Slimes seem to be jumping out of Corrals a lot for me, it's probably because I have too many in them, bought high wall upgrades for all of my corrals, how many slimes can fit into 1 corral without jumping out? I had ~8 rock slimes in one and they were fine for 1 day but then started to jump out. I'm guessing the more agitated and upset they get, the more likely they'll jump out

Yeah. Remember to feed them daily so they'll be happy. Also, an air net might help (I can see why you didn't get one earlier, if you thought they were temporary).

Medium wrote:~Still kind of confused on how to use the coop, is it just a place where we place baby chickens for safety? Is there a breeding thing we can do? (My roosters were actually eaten earlier on so I have no clue)

Yes, there is breeding - Place a Roostro near a Stony Hen or Hen Hen and they'll start laying eggs, producing Chickadoos. If there are more than 12 adult chickens, no more eggs will be laid until some are removed. Chickens aren't able to lay infinite eggs, after a while they'll turn into elder hens (which can't lay any more eggs, but they can be used as a snack for some slimes).
From Pink Slimes to Gold Slimes, every slime has a place in life... Except rad slimes, nobody cares about those.
SpiralRancher02
Rancher

Return to General Discussion