The Game's Future, And Improvements

Feedback and general discussion of Slime Rancher

The Game's Future, And Improvements

Postby dom1nati0n » Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:22 pm

I'll start with the state of the game from my initial experience.

Slime rancher is charming and has just enough gameplay aspects to really be considered an Alpha in my opinion. It plays, and plays well. That's a good thing coming from all the pre-purchased games in my library eating up HD space but none of my free time, to an unpolished, but actually fun experience. I think you chose a great time to make your game public, in terms of development progress. I don't know how much further you're going to/willing to expand, but I hope it's to great lengths.

This game reminds me of Monster Rancher (of course :P) and I can see a similar format following that would be successful.

1. Complete your concept of what Slime Rancher 1 is supposed to cover as your concept. Keep the price low. 15$ is a standard price for many games nowadays. 20$ is a stretch.

2. Don't go all in on Slime Rancher 1, It has potential as a series, as your development skills grow, as the maps get larger, as the slimes expand into a larger variety, you'll be able cover a longer period of time like Zelda, or Pokemon. I can see myself revisiting Slime Rancher when No. 4 comes out in 2020.

3. Never take away, Always Add. That's the biggest mistake I see developers make with series, they take away, where it's not needed. Just add content, give us a bigger world to play in, add more slimes, and toss in a few cool mechanics.

4. When you decide you've found the winning format for your game, Stick to it. Pokemon never changed, and it had that winning format. You're onto something here, don't get too wild with it. Just make it better. Who knows what that means, because your game is phenomenal as it stands. But keep fueling that fire with content.

5. When you have a game world that is expansive, a large arsenal of slimes, and that winning format is keeping everyone slime ranching until the sun comes up, release dlc content. Do not rush this. Do not start throwing Dlc out like it's candy. Find the form of your game, and when you feel like you've done all you can, Sell us skin sets, I'd pay 5$ right now for interesting reskin packs for all my slimes. Be reasonable, Look at Dungeon Defenders 1, as a sustainable dlc model. A Map, A character, and access to finding new content on your own. 5$ They did the Dlc game right.

Alright so that's how I see Slime Rancher being successful in my mind. Doesn't mean it's true, it's pure opinion from a guy who really cares about what he spends his money on when it comes to games, and who's been playing since before the dawn of Indie by quite a few years.

Now onto things I want to see with Slime Rancher 1

1. Don't go all in. (I know this is repeating myself but I feel it's important. I want to have Slime Rancher 2 to look forward to.)
Your graphics and skills will improve, use this game as a way to master your game concept, then release on other platforms, I wanna be playing Slime Rancher on my NDS or the next best thing one day (Even if it's not a 3d rendition)

2. Give me another tool. I don't care what it is, your vac feels important, and I love it. And I'm an old Harvest Moon Fan. Give me tools for farming (don't make it automated), Give me cows, and a milk machine, Give me a Loyal companion dog who louses around and barks too much. I don't care, I want more tools, I feel like I'm playing 3D Harvest moon and I love it.

3. Crafting. Man, You've probably heard this too many times already lol, But add it if you feel that it can be done well, and if you don't, then just leave it out.

4. Pets. Everyone likes pets, Give me a room in my house, that allows me to throw a slime in the corner who I can feed and he chirps. It doesn't matter, it doesn't have to be a slime, it can be anything. People love pets.

5. 3rd Person. Does it really matter to me personally? Not really. But I like the concept.

6. Hats. Slimes need hats, And everyone knows it. I'm throwing my money at the screen and my slimes don't have any hats yet. And that makes everyone a little sad. :/

7. Hunting. And i don't mean the nasty kind. It'd be cool to have larger environments to find and seek out rare slimes. I'd love to have to do some unconventional baiting/trapping or just generally looking in hard to reach spots to find that elusive slimebro.

Alright that's all I have for now. I wish you the best of luck, I love your game, it's great as is. I just want to see it blossom into the best Pokerancher Moon 8. Slime.
dom1nati0n
Plort

Re: The Game's Future, And Improvements

Postby DeltaStorm » Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:33 pm

The fact people already want a sequel just shows how good this game is.
DeltaStorm
Rancher

Postby Nakhryn » Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:57 pm

Ideas for DLCs and/or a Slime Rancher 2 aren't hard to come by. They can go to the moon, another planet, underwater and as the map gets bigger taming a Slime and using it as a mount would be fun too. It could be for jumping higher (for players without the jetpack) or just going faster in general. There's still so much to do that I'm pretty sure they'll HAVE to make a Slime Rancher 2 to fit half the ideas the community is going to come up with.
Sometimes I may be blunt, but it's for your own good.
Nakhryn
Rancher

Postby coolm5224 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:04 am

BOATS
i saw you didnt mention boats but i think it would be cool to have a boat behind your house to sail to (possibly randomly generated) islands
Thanks to SpeedXaaa for the amazing avatar!
coolm5224
Rancher

Postby Kiba » Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:34 am

Methinks you're focused too much on the idea of a sequel. A big game-killer is coding while only thinking about the games coming after the one being worked on in the present. Let the devs put in what they want to put in and think of a sequel when this game is done.
Kiba
Rancher

Postby Nakhryn » Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:34 pm

coolm5224 wrote:BOATS
i saw you didnt mention boats but i think it would be cool to have a boat behind your house to sail to (possibly randomly generated) islands

Pretty sure this is not gonna happen. If the other 3 zones are going to be as big as Dry Reef, the map should be big enough to keep us occupied for a good while. And there's the obvious problem that randomly generated islands are a pain to code. :V
Sometimes I may be blunt, but it's for your own good.
Nakhryn
Rancher

Return to General Discussion