My Review so far & Suggestions for the Future

Feedback and general discussion of Slime Rancher

My Review so far & Suggestions for the Future

Postby Wasthereonce » Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:37 pm

I've really enjoyed this game so far and have had minimal issues. I put in 8+ hours and explored all (I think) of the accessible areas and some of the blocked-off areas as well. It's fun and addictive to try to get all the slimes and take care of them. I do have some complaints though, and because the game is still in development, they are not complaints criticizing their final product, just on what the game is so far.

Here we go (Some of these I'm not sure if they were supposed to be intended, or a bug.):
1. The game feels linear. I'm not sure if this is what you intended or not, but it doesn't feel right in this environment.
2. Sometimes the garden's produce is thrown around the ranch, not under their tree or above their soil.
3. The gardens have to be replanted, and it's not clear when they have to be replanted.
4. There's no real end goals. Once you upgrade all your plots, then what?
5. Some areas are always being bombarded by the Tar Rainbow Slimes. It's almost impossible to get rid of them all. Most of the time, I have to leave the area.

Suggestions to fix complaints:
1. Make more multiple paths that connect to different islands and back to each other. And some areas need to be open plains. Every place I've seen so far have walls all around them, which makes the game feel claustrophobic and really help contribute to the linear feel.
2. I figured this one is a bug, so just have them harvestable like they are in the wilds and not pop off without vaccing them up.
3. Add a counter to how many fruits or veggies are in the garden, ready to seed it. Or put a in-game time counter to how long the plant has until it needs to be replanted.
4. Some kind of crafting system would help. I'd like to see more decor you can put around the ranch. Or maybe there are other ranches you can buy later in the game? Some kind of breeding system would be cool as well. And better quests, because there are some quests I would never do. For example: 30 Pink Slimes & 15 Rock Slimes for 5 chickens & 8 carrots? No way!
5. Either put less variation of slimes in the same areas, or make Tar Slimes easier to kill. When you hit them with water, they usually bounce far away and become difficult to hit, all while their friends eat away at the poor innocent slimes.

Also a few bugs:
1. Muting all the sounds from the in-game menu will not mute things like shooting water, explosions from Bomb Slimes, Slimes that collide with the player and cracking open crates.
2. Some Memory leaks I presume, because 1 thing lags the game, you take care of that thing, and the lag continues.
3. My Puddle Slimes keep disappearing from their pond. They're in the cave, so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Now for my personal suggestions:
1. More upgrades for the existing plots.
a. Example: Incinerator Upgrade: Burning Slimes gives you a plort of their type.
2. More plot types.
a. Example: Very expensive portal plots to take you to places you've already unlocked.
3. Some Breeding mechanics to get you special slimes that can produce more than 2 types of plorts using a stable method.
4. Nerf the Jetpack or Add content on the inaccessible walls. I can literally get anywhere in the map with it fully upgraded.
5. More interaction with slimes, like playing with them.
6. Some puzzles to reach places of interest.
7. Add some statues you either find or craft to display in your bedroom or on a plot.
8. More ranches you can buy with unique environments! Extremely expensive though!
9. Also an Upgrade to the Slots the Vacuum has (instead of 4 it would be to 5, then 6, etc.).
10. Being able to find Stony Roosters to compliment the Stony Hen Hens, so Roosters can only breed with their single type.

If you took the time to read, thank you very much. I wouldn't give this much feedback if I didn't believe in this game so much. Even though it's in alpha, I think this could be a greater game than it already is. Thank you Monomi Park so far, and I am definitely a customer!
Wasthereonce
Plort

Return to General Discussion