First impressions

Feedback and general discussion of Slime Rancher

First impressions

Postby Fangel » Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:34 pm

Woo! So first thoughts on the game - everything is super cute! Artstyle is great, and day/night cycle is pretty good in length. Controls are responsive, although the player does move rather quickly (which is fine for because of how open the world is). If a field of view option is ever added it's gonna feel like quake in here.

Here are a few things that stuck out, other than the goofy little fun premise of the game:

Discovering the slime filter was a bit of "this is annoying" on my end. Having the vac gain a visual change when it's got the slime filter on would be wonderful, and if it's not explained in the tutorial anywhere, have it be explained sometime after you feed your first slime.
    Building on the slime filter, having some sort of slime filter for various other items would be good, such as "fruits", "plorts", etc. If I only want plorts from the slimes I don't want to be sucking up the carrots I just fed them in mass. Perhaps this could be achieved by a keybind that limits item pickup to only what is in your currently active slot?
    Tabby slimes seem to be marked as having a fruit diet, and although they chomp down on them, they eat hen hens to turn them into plorts.
    The mouse cursor remains active until you click on the screen after the first load into the game, at least in windowed mode.
    After playing for a while and sorting things out, I realized that I really wanted more space to hold slimes in. There's a perfect amount of space right now, but in the future I know I'd have to get rid of one type of slime to get another unless the corals got an option to prevent slime largos from happening inside of them, as a toggleable upgrade.

Haven't had too many technical problems thus-far. My antivirus held back the game for a moment, claiming something about the data folder not being next to the game(when it very much was), so then I disabled the antivirus and tried to relaunch the game and it launched twice. I use Avast if that's any help. Haven't had it happen again so that's cool. The game did stop responding once I alt-tabbed out of fullscreen, so that might be something to look into in the future. Looks like the game saved my progress regardless, so that's nice.

Overall it's a cute little time sink for now, and I'm sure the more I find myself in the game the more I'll discover and reflect on.
Fangel
Plort

Re: First impressions

Postby Nick » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:47 am

Unfortunately, the slime filter is a left over legacy feature we scrapped that somehow made its way into this build. If you've become used to using it I'm sorry to say it'll be gone in the next build.
Nick
Developer

Postby Fangel » Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:16 am

Aw shucks. It actually is really useful, and some sort of vacuum filter ability would make the game start definitely feel less frustrating. I was going to straight up suggest the slime filter until I checked the controls and saw exactly what I was going to suggest just sitting in there.

I understand the corrals having some of the abilities as upgrades (ie. plort gatherer and auto-feeder), but the slime filter let me go out and grab all the wild plorts from under a bridge without the angry rock largos being pulled up in the chaos. If the slime filter is leaving having an item filter is still a suggestion I'm fond of.
Fangel
Plort

Postby Nick » Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:28 am

Yeah I can definitely understand, but we ultimately things like the slime filter not only complicated the SR's pretty simple control scheme (something I really want to preserve) but it also took away from the intended chaos in vac-ing and sorting things in the world. That latter might prove to be mostly unwelcome in managing corrals but that remains to be seen.
Nick
Developer

Postby Fangel » Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:45 am

Ahh. Simplicity and chaos do make the other a bit more stand-outish. Next time I jump into the game I'll see exactly how I would play without the filter since I discovered it after about 15 minutes of play, because in theory I would just suck up everything in the area then launch the slimes I don't want into the stratosphere since the ones I've been wrangling so far are very plentiful. As it stands I pretty much launch things I don't want into the ocean or over cliffs.

I will say that allowing us to treat all items like a large object once our inventory is full would at least be nice. Would allow easier sorting of things when there's a large variety.
Fangel
Plort

Return to General Discussion