Viva Pinata anyone?

Feedback and general discussion of Slime Rancher

Viva Pinata anyone?

Postby Sporeo » Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:43 pm

So far, I have to say this game shows a lot of promise with its cute graphics and its basis. There's lots of room for expansion and I enjoy mixing up the slimes to get crossbreeds. I have to say though that it gets a bit redundant to head out into the world and come across the same slime accumulations in specific areas. This predictability can be a bit dull, along with the way that slimes are simply stored on the farm in boxes. I think that Viva Pinata could be a great game to use as inspiration for expanding on this game to bring more exciting elements into it. I really would like to see the exploration factor kept and built upon, while I would also like to see more options for expanding on, and personalizing ones farm. Right now it is too simple to gather the slimes by simply progressing further in the linear world, and I think that adding some sort of 'attraction-based' element could add a more fun challenge to getting fancier slime-breeds.
Sporeo
Plort

Re: Viva Pinata anyone?

Postby TurnipKnight » Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:23 pm

So true. There are a lot of elements from viva pinata that could translate into slime rancher nicely. Attracting new slime could be so much more than just "run to end of map".
Siht gnivarc rof erom seifirret uoy, tub ti si ruoy deerg taht edam em os.
TurnipKnight
Rancher

Postby Inq » Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:44 am

I was thinking the same, probs something like that planned for later phases of development.
Inq
Plort

Postby Kiba » Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:20 am

I did get a serious Viva Pinata feel playing this game. Gosh I loved that game and its music and its colors. So relaxing. So happy. So muCH CANDY I HAVE TO HAVE MORE
Kiba
Rancher

Postby Sporeo » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:44 pm

Glad to hear I'm not the only one. I think some specific elements that are fitting are the following:

Control to grow specific plants to attract slimes; with the more open world element (keeping the exploration aspect intact) this could be done throughout the world so that, say, if you grow phosphor's favourite fruit, they are more inclined to spawn/be transmuted in the area, but this requires that the user actually take care of the trees to create that ability. If you were to also grow something that attracted/transmuted a slime that is 'incompatible' with phosphor's in the same area, then you raise a higher risk of the tarr spawning. This allows for huge customization and control of the whole world with a more complicated ecosystem rather than static elements that are unchangeable.

Control over land elements (terraforming); with the open world in tact, allow creation/destruction of elements such as lava, water, sand, grass, dirt, etc., with these elements playing a role in slime-criteria to spawn/transmute/breed.

Actual breeding rather than simply feeding plorts; certain breeds of slimes should be much harder and rarer to attract and gain whereby one needs to work themselves up to being able to meet requirements needed of those slimes (whether it's multiple food resources, certain slimes that they may or may not eat themselves, and land requirements like water/grass/fire/darkness, etc). Plorts can still be useful for making money, perhaps for changing breed colours, or also for perhaps a chemistry element where multiple types of plorts are combined to make other ingredients/seeds/foods/etc.

Specific homes for slimes which still allows for open-roaming; in VP homes are simply used for breeding/sleeping and decoration; the option to build fences to enclose the pinatas exists, but is not a requirement as the garden itself is enclosed from the rest of the world, and it is still in the user's hands as to where they place these barriers if they place them at all, versus simply having evenly placed boxes throughout that are static. Where I see SR differing is in the larger world where - at least right now - the farm is not customizable (sad-face) and the slimes are required to be in a cage to stay on the land (also sad-face). I LOVE the idea of keeping both a farm, and an open-world element to collect slimes, but the cages really limit the creativity as a requirement to 'home' animals. Basically, I see a combination of these elements working for SR: open-ended, customizable world with free-roaming slime-spawns in all areas according to requirements being met for spawn/transmutations to occur, with the ability to cluster-organize these sections with fencing and such to enclose them (ie, 'home' them).

These are just a few ideas as I think there's a lot to ask if we compare VP to SR, and I wouldn't expect SR to mimic VP as a game, but I do think that it is a great example for a similar genre of god-type/farm-type game.
Sporeo
Plort

Postby SrGhostly » Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:28 pm

i was thinking some sa2 chao garden elements could really get this game to go far.
SrGhostly
Chickadoo

Return to General Discussion