The 5-Day Challenge

Feedback and general discussion of Slime Rancher

Re: The 5-Day Challenge

Postby shiplizard » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:21 pm

Not a good run! Oh well.

I got lucky on the first day, picking up a gold plort, and immediately bought a pond.

I spent most of the first day feeding the pink Gordo and getting the key, then dashed through the mossy blanket grabbing honeys, booms, and puddles. I made honey-booms, and phos-tabs to try to diversify my plorts and not crash the market.

Day three-- badly contained honey-tabs got out, grabbed a boom plort, and went tarr. All my phostabs were wiped out. I also found a gold slime-- and missed every shot at it with pogofruit until I was out of resources. A bad day.

Day four-- grimly upgraded the phostab habittat. Made some honeyrocks. Grabbed a last puddle.

Day five-- 1 coral of honeyrock (with plort collector) , 1 honeyboom (with plort collector), 1 phostab. 1 sprinkler upgraded mint mango tree, 1 sprinkler upgraded cubeberry tree.
Final cash count - about 4K. Oh, well!
Attachments
Screen Shot4 PM.jpg
Screen Shot4 PM.jpg (246.88 KiB) Viewed 13641 times
shiplizard
Chickadoo

Postby xxpixelperfectxx » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:48 am

Free Range No Largo
General Overview
So with the Free Range Honey Boom run I found myself producing a ridiculous number of plorts. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to pick up anywhere near the number produced. I'd enjoyed free ranging quite a bit since it's a lot easier than corralling otherwise, so thought I'd try something I haven't seen posted here and hope it was because no one had thought of it and not just because it was a bad idea lol.
Basically, I decided to only raise non Largo slimes. The downside is of course they're producing half the number of plorts. The upside is they don't get in the way of your vac so you can collect things a lot more easily. (Also, if you're raising Boom/Rock slimes they're much less of a threat since you can just suck them up).
Exploration
I started by bursting the Pink Gordo, then proceeded to collect Honeys, MM, CB, and a stack of pink plorts for quick cash(probably should have got Puddles or Boom Plorts instead, but I wasn't thinking ahead). Dropped all my Honeys at the main ranch and started rushing MM farms. When night fell I gathered a full stack of Phosphors. Once I had the cash I bought the grotto and filled it w/ Phosphors/CBs. Eventually I gathered Booms and Briar Hens/Roosters before filling the overgrowth w/ Coops, but they didn't seem particularly effective for a free range strategy. The 3rd plort type was certainly welcome though.
Plot Distribution
-Filled the Main farm w/ MM farms, the honey's had trouble getting to the 2 plots on the ledge so if I do the run again I'll probably replace at least one of them w/ a pond (inventory management's a lot easier w/ this run so I think it's a good investment.) Bought nutrients and sprinklers for the 4 in the center since that's where I concentrated most of the slimes.
-Grotto was all CB, since Phosphors are so easy to gather I was always producing less than they could eat. The bottom 3 were the most important so I bought nutrients and sprinklers for them.
-Bought 3 coops for the overgrowth, maxed all of them but I'm not sure it was entirely worth while. I'm pretty sure I started breeding chickens far too late in the challenge for them to be worth the investment.
Player Upgrades
-Tank I and Tank II were an absolute necessity. I also bought the sprint energy reduction upgrade which I think was worth it considering how much I was running around. Health and pulse were completely unnecessary so I'm glad I skipped them. I'm not sure if the additional energy would be worthwhile or not, but I'd probably get Jetpack for the next time since it does increase your mobility and I ran around a lot in this run.
In Conclusion
Probably less effective than a lot of the methods here, but I found it to be the most convenient for me. If I do it again I'd want puddles/Jetpack, and I'd definitely change my plan for the overgrowth. Would probably do Booms + No upgrades (Less but more expensive plorts and no real set up besides buying the place) or Rock + 3 Heart Beet Plots (Way more plorts since Rocks are quick to gather and you'd get the favorite bonus, but it also requires more of an investment).
Ended just shy of 15k, but w/ 0 golds, meh market prices, and a few minor screwups I still consider it a success.
Screen Shot 2016-02-24 at 1.07.59 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2016-02-24 at 1.07.59 PM.jpg (163.23 KiB) Viewed 13626 times
xxpixelperfectxx
Plort

Postby z0mbiesrock » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:59 pm

Started with Jetpack and flew to Moss Blanket immediately. **** the Pink Gordo.

Got Honey and Boom Slimes, and some Mint Mangos.

Started a lot of gardens, to produce more mintgos.

Once had just 8 health left while feeding them :P

On Day 5, right at the 12:00 mark, I sold all my plorts made before 12:00. I ignored the plorts made after...

After that, I started to have some fun >:>

FINAL RESULT
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
z0mbiesrock
Keeper

Postby Nick » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:26 pm

Thank you all for the great feedback with this challenge. I think we pretty much have what we need here, but feel free to continue to post your results if you're still in the middle of the challenge.
Nick
Developer

Postby LongJoeSilver » Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:26 am

One more post...
Last night I decided to give this another go, with a different method; diversifying my plort production.
Also this was after the 2.5 update.
Day 1:
Slime key, booms, honeys, mangos and a gold plort
planted 4 mangos, made 3 corrals, made honeytabbys, honeybooms, and honeyrocks

Day 2:
Made 4th corral, upgraded corrals, made honeyphosphors
Opened Overgrowth, planted 4 more mangos

Day 3:
Upraded gardens, started raking in the newbucks

About midnight: disastrous Tarr outbreak, all slimes died

Day 4: Morning spent firing Tarrs into the sea and clearing up plorts scattered everywhere, afternoon spent collecting slimes to refill corrals. Also decided to grab a few puddle slimes and replace a mango tree with a pond

Day 5: Rake in newbucks

I had 4 corrals with high walls, air net and plort collector, and one with solar shielding as well, each containing 15 slimes (also after the Tarr outbreak I added music boxes and didn't get any more escapees); 8 gardens with soil & sprinkler producing mangos (one of which I destroyed and replaced with a pond); and the energy, health and tank 2 upgrades. If I hadn't lost almost a day to the Tarr outbreak I could've made a lot more money using this method; nearly as much as by the free-range method. Diversifying your plort production definitely seems to keep the prices falling as much; I had good prices for everything the whole time.
LongJoeSilver
Chickadoo

Postby Aldante » Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:20 am

Well, I know I'm super late, but it seemed like a fun idea, so I did it anyway. I love free-range ranching, especially in the grotto, where it's unbelievably easy. SO! My journey went as follows:

Day 1: Like most of the ranchers here, I immediately made a beeline for the pink Gordo. Stuffin' his fat face til he popped got me into the moss blanket, and from there it was a matter of just grabbing as many honey slimes, puddle slimes, and boom/honey plorts as I could get my hands on. Sold all the plorts, bought a pond and a higher wall for my golden corral, and dumped my haul so I could start milkin out those sweet, sweet plorts. After one run through the blanket, ended up with ~13 honey and 3 puddles. Not terrible, not terrible. Had about 400 smackeroos left over, so I went ahead and made a basic garden, then made a second run through the blanket, picking up nothing but plorts and MMs. Planted the MMs, sold the plorts, and upgraded my garden with sprinklers and soil.

Night 1: Slept, cause farming is hard work.

Day 2: Made another couple rounds through the blanket, grabbing a couple tabbies cause they're adorable, a bunch more honeys, any boom plorts I could find, and any Cuberries I could get my suckers on. Sold the plorts, bought access to the Grotto. Now we're talkin'! Spent the rest of the daylight hours gathering and selling so I could afford a couple fully upgraded farms (minus the scareslime) in the grotto, started some cuberries growing.

Night 2: Gathered as many freakin' phosphors as I could get my hands on. At this point I had the first tank upgrade, so I got a full tank and made my way back to the grotto to dump my spoils into their new home. Fed a couple of them honey plorts to get that ball rolling, dumped in all my honey slimes, then left them to their own devices. Replaced honeys in my one corral with booms.

Day 3: Woke up, went to check on my Grotto, had ~45 honey/phosphor Largos bouncing around, plorting out a goldmine of semi-liquidated assets. Vacced all that up, sold it, spent almost all of it on a second tank upgrade, 3 fully upgraded gardens for more cuberries and a second pond. Was walking to check for puddle plorts when I got blindsided by a crapload of boomslime explosions, got flung into the sea, and spent the rest of the day/night in the fetal position in my cabin crying softly to myself.

Night 3: (see above wallowing in self pity)

Day 4: Time to upsize this combo! Went out and gathered as many honeys as I could (~18) and dumped them into the Grotto del Largo, watched as they pigged out on glowing substances, and gained the power of flight from it. (Comics had it right all along!) Went around, gathering plorts while quietly cussing under my breath every time one got stuck in the vac gun (around 12837123 times in total) sold my stock, checked my booms, was disappointed that I forgot to feed them again, launched them into the incinerator cause who needs 'em?

Night 4: Gathered tons of plorts, tons of phosphors out in the wilderness, accidentally shot like, 3 or 4 plorts into grotto instead of slimes because I'm stupid apparently. That is the WORST place for a Tarr infestation, by the way. I had to build an incinerator in there (should have been where I built my first one, in hindsight) and deal with 'em the permanent, "flamey-horrifying-burnt-tarr-smelly" way. Had around 6 largos left by the end of the night. Not how I want to start my last day of the challenge...

Day 5: Frantically gathering honey slimes to horrifically mutate with glowing poop, I ended up with a final count of around 25-30 Largos. Lost a lot of time and potential gains, but I still say that, if it hadn't been for my own stupid human errors, the Grotto would have been the best free-range location of all. I may retry this another time.

FINAL RESULT:

The Grotto Guru
Aldante
Plort

Postby iSn0wzZ » Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:01 pm

5 days?! No time for corrals! 66K

Zoom in (real dimensions: 1920 x 1080)Image

- ~100 free range Boom/Honey Largos spread across the main ranch and grotto
- As a safety precaution, I bought the first health upgrade (It saved me once)
- No gold slimes were found this play-through
- Every plot was used as a mint mango farm
- Every mint mango farm had a sprinkler upgrade except for 2 in the grotto (due to less largos in that area; less food demand)

Side note: With this method, there's no doubt I could have made 100k in 6 days for the previous challenge.
iSn0wzZ
Plort

Postby iSn0wzZ » Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:10 pm

5 days?! No time for corrals! 66K
[urlfile:///C:/Users/ALEJANDRO/Pictures/qkWen6u.jpg][/url]

- ~100 free range Boom/Honey Largos spread across the main ranch and grotto
- As a safety precaution, I bought the first health upgrade (It saved me once)
- No gold slimes were found this play-through
- Every plot was used as a mint mango farm
- Every mint mango farm had a sprinkler upgrade except for 2 in the grotto (due to less largos in that area; less food demand

Side note: With this method, there's no doubt I could have made 100k in 6 days for the previous challenge.
iSn0wzZ
Plort

Postby TheMightyHoneySlime » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:40 am

Day 1:I Got Rock Slimes Day 2:Bought Jet Pack Day 3: Got High Walls And Made Rock/Tabby Largos Day 4: Decided To Let Them Freerom Day Five :Got A Few Plorts (Couldent Add Picture I Had 227 NewBucks)
I drew this icon
can you see this?
TheMightyHoneySlime
Rancher

Location: Somewhere in the Far, Far, Range, I'm not sure where

Postby stevonnie » Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:44 pm

5-Day Challenge: Didn't actually ranch

I decided to try going 5 days without adding any slimes to my ranch at all. I just walked through the map collecting stray plorts, and feeding fruits and hen hens I had gathered on the way to wild slimes. Day 1 was dedicated to getting the slime key, which took about half of the day. Otherwise, I just walked/ran! No upgrades to my vac pack or the ranch. I only managed to get 1 gold slime plort, and I focused most of my energy on getting honey, boom, and puddle plorts. I'll definitely be trying this challenge again. :)
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-03-05 at 8.38.50 PM copy.jpg
Screen Shot 2016-03-05 at 8.38.50 PM copy.jpg (202.55 KiB) Viewed 13480 times
stevonnie
Plort

Postby Fehzor » Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:54 pm

Noon, day 5:

End of day 5:

Day 1:

I collected as many rock slimes and tabby slimes as I could, as well as carrots. These were flung into the main area, and formed the basis for my starting farm.

I earned about half the slime key on this day by feeding every fruit in existence and some hen hens to the big pink slime (gordo? is it called?)

I found three gold slimes, but suck at harvesting them and only got 1 drop.

Day 2:

I collected as many pink slime plorts as I could and earned the rest of the slime key. I then went about building up the farm, such that all 8 plots were garden + some upgrades. I sold zero rock/tabby plorts, and as many pink plorts as possible. This built up the price of rock/tabby plorts.

Day 3:

I began selling rock/tabby plorts. These gave me enough to buy the wilderness area, where I stored boom/honey slimes and built gardens in which housed mint mango trees. That night I went out and free-farmed phosphor plorts using the excess fruits, which I had no use for..

Selling the rock/tabby/phosphor plorts made the value of honey/boom plorts rise drastically.

A pond was also established, so as to help lower the price of water plorts and raise the price of honey/boom.

Day 4:

I built a silo. The silo was filled with 200 boom/honey plorts. I harvested rock etc. plorts. Not much happened on this day.

Day 5:

I sold out harder than Minecraft, dumping my plorts into the machine for 70+ each. It was amazing.

I jumped from literally 500ish to 50K at noon and 69K at midnight, the true end of the test.
Fehzor
Rancher

Postby blinkinn » Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:00 am

i think i could have done better. i should have just went with my first instinct and opened up the grotto as soon as i had the money. also i thought the pond would be a good idea because on my other file i regularly found 2 - 4 puddle slimes on each run through moss blanket, but this time i was finding 1 puddle slime for every 3 or 4 trips, that space could have been better spent as a garden.

these are the major events that happened, also throughout there was random scrounging for plorts to help make a quick buck and random feedings / plort collection with respect to my slimes. i did this all in 1 seesion, because i saw the challenge and thought "why not", i am apparently rusty thoughconsidering my score relative to others here.
Day 1
unlocked moss blanket, by feeding the pink gordo all of the random food lying around the beginning zone

immediately went into moss blanket to collect puddle and honey slimes.
--honey = 20
--puddle = 1

collected mint mangos to seed my gardens.

built 2 gardens (mint mango)

upgraded starting coral with high walls

1 gold plort found

Day 2
upgraded coral with sky net and plort collector

built 3 gardens (mint mango)

built silo (to store reserve seed stock of mangos)

built pond, put puddle slime that had lived in my vac pac for a day in the pond <-the pond did make money but that space would have been better spent producing mangos

collected honey and puddle slimes
--honey = 20 to 30 (i stopped really keeping count)
--puddle = 2

1 gold slime found, failed to harvest

Day 3
built 1 garden

upgraded all gardens with sprinklers and soil

upgraded vacpac storage to 30

collected slimes
--honey = 20 to 30
--puddle = 1

Day 4
unlocked grotto

built 3 gardens (cuberry)

upgraded grotto gardens with sprinklers

collected slimes
phosphor = 15
boom = 10
puddle = 1

lower grotto section populated with phosphor / boom largos

1 gold plort found

2nd half of day dedicated to feeding slimes and gathering / selling plorts

Day 5
spent entire time feeding and collecting as much as possible

blinkinn
Rancher

Postby birchmark » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:39 pm

I'm currently doing this. I don't have the results yet as I have not finished but I have been recording myself as I go. I have the first recording here and the second one is uploading to youtube atm. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLTdx2tlqgSoSuv1m8LFlHJ601n16-6WQz
birchmark
Plort

Postby birchmark » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:44 pm

Here is the second video: https://youtu.be/VAaMakS_k5Q
birchmark
Plort

Postby EmeraldPlay » Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:18 am

birchmark wrote:I'm currently doing this. I don't have the results yet as I have not finished but I have been recording myself as I go. I have the first recording here and the second one is uploading to youtube atm. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLTdx2tlqgSoSuv1m8LFlHJ601n16-6WQz

Wasn't this finished like a month ago?
My avatar was taken from Miomilla's chart.

Not visiting this place as often so contact me on Discord if you want anything from me.
-----
Links:
The partnered Discord server for Slime Rancher I once moderated
Restored prototype features
EmeraldPlay
Treefox

Postby birchmark » Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:09 pm

I came across this challenge when it was already old, but I didn't think there was an end date on it, anyway. I thought it was an open challenge to do and submit stuff for whenever, like the challenges on games like the Sims. Obviously a lot of people did it at the same time because they saw it at that time, but I thought it was just a challenge to do when you felt like it.
birchmark
Plort

Postby EmeraldPlay » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:24 am

birchmark wrote:I came across this challenge when it was already old, but I didn't think there was an end date on it, anyway. I thought it was an open challenge to do and submit stuff for whenever, like the challenges on games like the Sims. Obviously a lot of people did it at the same time because they saw it at that time, but I thought it was just a challenge to do when you felt like it.

Let's wait until in 0.3.0 the Five Day Rush game mode comes out. Maybe there will be leaderboards?

Not visiting this place as often so contact me on Discord if you want anything from me.
-----
Links:
EmeraldPlay
Treefox

Postby birchmark » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:32 pm

My third and final video finishing the 5 day challenge. https://youtu.be/z9qJHSyd3Gk
birchmark
Plort

Postby Lottom » Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:52 am

At day 5, 12:00 I have around 16.500 newbucks. I f*cked up on day 2 and fell in the water. Had to rest almost an entire day -.-

Couldn't post pic because for some reason my screenshot is 1.4 mb and it only allows about 256 kb.
Lottom
Plort

Postby dewking » Wed May 04, 2016 7:11 am

For the first 3 days it was going rough with only having around or under 500 newbucks, but I cracked down on days 4-5 by just collecting plorts. These were the only corrals I had, with no other section unlocked and no Gordos busted.
Gold plorts were my savior.
dewking
Plort

Postby EmeraldPlay » Wed May 04, 2016 8:21 am

dewking wrote:Image

For the first 3 days it was going rough with only having around or under 500 newbucks, but I cracked down on days 4-5 by just collecting plorts. These were the only corrals I had, with no other section unlocked and no Gordos busted.

What?

Don't you know that there's Five Day Rush mode in the game? :/
We really need a place to post our results.

Anyways, welcome to the forums.

-----
Links:
EmeraldPlay
Treefox

Postby dewking » Wed May 04, 2016 5:19 pm

EmeraldPlay wrote:

What?

Yes I created a new game separate from my main game to do the challenge, assuming I did it correctly, that is!
dewking
Plort

Postby EmeraldPlay » Thu May 05, 2016 4:34 am

dewking wrote:
EmeraldPlay wrote:

What?

Yes I created a new game separate from my main game to do the challenge, assuming I did it correctly, that is!

Actually, you have to wait until Day 6 at noon. The game will then end and show results, like how much you spend, which plorts gave you the most money and so on.

-----
Links:
EmeraldPlay
Treefox

Postby deepfriedoreo » Tue May 10, 2016 5:28 pm

Hello. I played the game in adventure mode for a while on my friends computer before today deciding to buy it for myself after reading the road map and getting pumped for 0.4.0! Needless to say I am new to both the game and the forum, but when I stumbled upon the 5 day challenge I did a search and found this topic so I figured I MUST take part. Here is a run down of the day to day grind:

Day 1:
- On day 1 I cleared the main ranch area, and collected all the carrots, hens, and pogos I could find and got the slime key from the pink Gordo to use on the mossy area. I also got 2 tabby slimes and all the honey slimes I could find. I decided for this run through to not use any corrals, and destroyed the initial one for space later.
Day 2:
- On day 2 I started to plant mint mango farms in the main area of the ranch as a sort of auto food for the largos I was using, and went out to grab more honey slimes to get me all the moneys! At this point I had been completely oblivious to the ranch exchange. I also decided to put down a chicken coop for literally no reason, I am not sure what I was thinking. xD
Day 3:
- When I got back from gathering more honey slimes on this day I remembered I should check the ranch exchange and the prize was 3 golden plort in exchange for 2 tabby plorts and 4 rock plorts, so I went and grabbed some rock plorts to exchange. I also by this day started to notice that I was very low on honey/tabby largo. I saw a picture from one guy on this topic who's area was just flooded and by day 5 I don't even think I had half of that, I could just tell luck wasn't on my side but I kept going strong.
Day 4:
- The same old grind of grabbing honey slimes to turn into largos, and selling all my plorts. I started to notice I could easily break 20k on my run and got really excited. I only had 3 mint mango farms and didn't need any more.
Day 5:
- By day 5 I started to get anxious as I passed 25k I really wanted to reach 30k, but unfortunately it wasn't meant to be. I started to regret going with tabby instead of boom, but at the same time I didn't want to chance the risk. All in all I am happy with this as a first attempt to the challenge. :)

deepfriedoreo
Plort

Postby EmeraldPlay » Wed May 11, 2016 5:02 am

deepfriedoreo wrote:Hello. I played the game in adventure mode for a while on my friends computer before today deciding to buy it for myself after reading the road map and getting pumped for 0.4.0! Needless to say I am new to both the game and the forum, but when I stumbled upon the 5 day challenge I did a search and found this topic so I figured I MUST take part. Here is a run down of the day to day grind:

Day 1:
- On day 1 I cleared the main ranch area, and collected all the carrots, hens, and pogos I could find and got the slime key from the pink Gordo to use on the mossy area. I also got 2 tabby slimes and all the honey slimes I could find. I decided for this run through to not use any corrals, and destroyed the initial one for space later.
Day 2:
- On day 2 I started to plant mint mango farms in the main area of the ranch as a sort of auto food for the largos I was using, and went out to grab more honey slimes to get me all the moneys! At this point I had been completely oblivious to the ranch exchange. I also decided to put down a chicken coop for literally no reason, I am not sure what I was thinking. xD
Day 3:
- When I got back from gathering more honey slimes on this day I remembered I should check the ranch exchange and the prize was 3 golden plort in exchange for 2 tabby plorts and 4 rock plorts, so I went and grabbed some rock plorts to exchange. I also by this day started to notice that I was very low on honey/tabby largo. I saw a picture from one guy on this topic who's area was just flooded and by day 5 I don't even think I had half of that, I could just tell luck wasn't on my side but I kept going strong.
Day 4:
- The same old grind of grabbing honey slimes to turn into largos, and selling all my plorts. I started to notice I could easily break 20k on my run and got really excited. I only had 3 mint mango farms and didn't need any more.
Day 5:
- By day 5 I started to get anxious as I passed 25k I really wanted to reach 30k, but unfortunately it wasn't meant to be. I started to regret going with tabby instead of boom, but at the same time I didn't want to chance the risk. All in all I am happy with this as a first attempt to the challenge. :)

*sigh*
Read my upper posts...
Welcome, too.

-----
Links:
EmeraldPlay
Treefox

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion