Re: The 5-Day Challenge

Postby Heiach » Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:32 pm

Can I still submit my efforts?
Heiach
Plort

Postby Heather » Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:36 pm

Welcome Heiach
Heiach wrote:Can I still submit my efforts?

Yes please :)
The more data, the more helpful!
Heather
Admin

Postby LongJoeSilver » Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:33 pm

Woo challenges! :)
So like a couple of other people I did this two ways: once with corrals, once free-range.

Corrals:

Same process as the 100k run:
-Got slime key
-Got honeys, booms, briar hens and mangos
-Fed hens to booms, planted mangos, fed surplus mangos to honeys
-Made honeybooms
-Repeat a couple of times
-Buy Mk1 tank for the vacpack
-Buy overgrowth expansion (I didn't do that on the 100k run)
-Rake in the newbucks
Eventual setup:
-3 corrals with high walls, air net, collector and music, each containing 15 honeybooms
-9 mango trees with nutrient soil & sprinklers

I decided not to bother with puddle slimes because they take too long to collect. I also decided to have fewer honeybooms per corral; with 20 in each, they kept escaping and I sometimes wasn't producing enough food to keep them fed as soon as they got hungry; however with 3 trees for every 15 largos I was producing far too much food, and not enough plorts. Happy medium is probably 2 trees for every 15 largos.

I didn't sleep, die or find any gold plorts, and I ended up with about the same amount of money on day 5 as I had on the 100k run.

Free-range:

Setup: 8 mango trees with sprinkler & soil, and god knows how many largos; 80+ at a guess. Forgot to get a screenie of the farm at its peak :/ I also bought the Mk2 tank and health upgrades.

You can definitely make a lot more money using the free-range method; however my crappy laptop (it's actually below the recommended minimum, but runs fine most of the time) just couldn't handle the number of entities (and explosions! :D) in one area. It was fine at first but by the 4th day the lag was so bad I decided to create a tarr outbreak to halt plort production and then clean up the mess.

If I had a decent machine (soon, hopefully :)) I could've probably made 3 times the amount I did in the end.

I didn't sleep or die but I did find a gold slime in a crate on day 1; it disappeared pretty much instantly but it must've bumped against the other two things that came out (a carrot and a hen) because it left me 2 plorts :D I decided to wait until day 2 and a higher price to sell them; this did however reduce my initial startup funds because I couldn't pick up any briar hens on my first run through the moss blanket.
LongJoeSilver
Chickadoo

Postby Heiach » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:01 pm

Well here it is!

I went with free-ranged honey-boom largos and used all 8 plots for mint mangos. I didn't open either of the 2 extra areas. I had the jetback and energy upgrades, also a health upgrade. I could hold up to 30 of each item. All of my mint mango farms had the soil and sprinkler upgrades.

I started by buying the jetpack and using it (and a crate or a largo slime) to get over the slime gate. I just jumped onto of the "enter here" post with a button on it, with the crate/slime under me for some extra height.
Heiach
Plort

Postby Kitana » Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:11 pm

5day2.jpg
5day2.jpg (254.41 KiB) Viewed 11743 times

Beatrix Upgrades:
- 1Tank upgrade
- Jet Pack

I also didn't buy the pulse wave this time, since running away as soon as I heard one about to blow was a decent enough plan.

This time I only went with the main farm, with 20 Honey Booms and 8 MM Gardens (No screencap because it'd be pretty much the same as every other Honey Boom screencap in this thread), so instead have this:

RandomTabby.jpg
RandomTabby.jpg (169.04 KiB) Viewed 11743 times

Spotted this guy just kinda.... hanging out on top of the Slime Sea, frolicking around and having a good old time. I'm guessing it got boomed out of the Moss Blanket entrance (I've had boom tabbies get blown farther distances....), and it was having such a good time I didn't have the heart to suck it back up.
Kitana
Chickadoo

Postby Seespotbitejane » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:09 pm

Ok, did it again and did better than last time the tiniest of margins. This time was bad luck though.

Day one: Went straight to the Slime Key, and had a lot of Honeybooms set free-ranging by dawn on day two. I bought the grotto day two but had to wait until sundown to gather Phosphorus slimes to let loose in there.

Day Two: I set up a pond in the Grotto and let loose my Puddle slimes but for some reason the game deleted all by one. They didn't bounce out or anything, just disappeared when I put them in the pond. So that sucked. Evening I was only able to gather a few Phosphorus Slimes. It was weird. Usually I can get over ten immediately but I had to run around and search for them.

Day Three: I upgraded all my 4 gardens and ran back to the Moss Blanket for more Puddles, Boomers and Honeys. I figured I was sitting pretty at that point and just needed to sit back and rake in the cash. But

Day Four: Disaster! About mid-morning I got caught in one too many explosions and I got knocked out and missed all of Day Four. I spent the morning of Day Five ferrying plorts as fast as I could but couldn't really make up the day. I had tons unharvested at 12:00.

If I hadn't died I would have easily three times as many Newbucks.
Seespotbitejane
Plort

Postby mazkanatas » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:18 pm

So I didn't really get that much, but that's partially because I thought the challenge ended at 12am on Day 6 and not 12pm on day 5.... But it's partially because I'm bad at free-ranging, so I relied primarily on corrals.

My setup was to get the key for the Moss Blanket on day one, and then I had a corral of Honey Pink Largos, a corral of Honey Rock Largos, a pond of Puddle Slimes, and I bought the Overgrowth and had Honey Tabby Largos run free-range in there. I had 2 gardens of mint mangos and one of heart beats. All gardens and corrals were maxed out in terms of expansions. Occasionally, I would go out into the Moss Blanket to get Boom plorts (I don't like ranching Booms very much, although that seems to be the more profitable thing to do). The only expansion I got for my VacPac was the jetpack.

Overall, this was a really fun challenge, and if I were to try it again, I think I'd free range Boom Honey Largos and only buy the Pulse Wave expansion for my VacPac, because the reason I dislike ranching Largos is that they always get up in my business when I'm trying to collect plorts!
mazkanatas
Plort

Postby Nick » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:01 pm

Did most of you complete all 5 days in a single session? Or did you save & quit and return to it later?
Nick
Developer

Postby LongJoeSilver » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:57 am

Nick wrote:Did most of you complete all 5 days in a single session? Or did you save & quit and return to it later?

Did the corral run in 2 sessions and the free-range run in one go, although I quit and reloaded a couple of times in an attempt to clear lag :)
LongJoeSilver
Chickadoo

Postby atoriv » Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:36 am

Nick wrote:Did most of you complete all 5 days in a single session? Or did you save & quit and return to it later?

I did one session for each attempt :D
atoriv
Chickadoo

Postby Tribune » Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:21 am

I like to do the challenges in one session so I don't lose track of what I'm doing.
Tribune
Plort

Postby Kitana » Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:28 am

First time was a single session, second round I played until about day 4 then took a break, got to early morning day 5, took another break, and then finished up. Mainly because I couldn't be bothered to type out my findings/adjust screenshots to fit in the 256kb limit at the time. Rough day at work and all that

During the 100k challenge though, I would easily do the first week or so in a single session to get the ball rolling (I still haven't finished the chicken-only run since this challenge took precedence).
Kitana
Chickadoo

Postby MamaKittyKookie » Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:37 pm

Day 1:

- I collected as much slimes and pink plorts I could hold, 20 each.
- Explored all the way to the end of the map, "Kittyland" as I call it.
- I found some rock plorts along the way.
- Added pink slimes to the corral.
- Got to explore at night and found phosphor slime and phosphor plort, but not very many phosphor plorts.
- Total plorts collected: 469

Day 2:

- Went on a food run for my pink slimes.
- Collected the max amount of pink plorts. They are a dime and dozen as I found out! But not very valuable.
- Discovered some slimes come out at night and day. Such as the phosphor and and the tabby's, etc.
- I added phosphor and tabby plorts to the collection of the day.
- I also discovered that if I feed the rock slimes or any slimes in the field (as I call it)...I can collect more rock plorts from the field! They are not rare, but not easily accessible as the pink plorts.
- I took home some rock slimes and tabby slimes and added them with the pink slime.
-I discovered that pink slimes turn into pink rock slimes when they eat a rock plort. Pink slimes turn into pink tabby slimes when they eat a tabby plort.
-I purchased an air net to keep them all contained.

Day 3:

- I went out on a food run and came back with the max load of carrots and pogo fruits. I fed them to the slimes and at first they were having a party feast! I was collecting their plort and getting "Bitten" by the rock slimes. I bought an auto plort collector. Somewhere in all that action, the tar slime crashed their party and created chaos on my ranch. All the slimes escaped the air net enclosure. The enclosure was still in tact.
-I lost a day of money collecting.
-I died.

Day 4:

- I just separated the slimes, but not really good. I just put the rock slime in the corral and let the pink slimes and pink tabby slimes roam.
- I went on a food run.
- Came back and fed the slimes to discover that if you feed one thing kept in a corral, the free roaming slimes will surround it and try to get the food. In the process, a pink tabby slime got into the pink rock slime corral and the tar came out again! ARG.
-I had to take care of that mess and lost time on collecting plorts.

Day 5:

- I spent the day collecting plorts from the field, instead of my ranch.

Notes:

1. I was thinking a separate vac container would be nice to hold just food. So that you can collect other important things along the way, instead of having to just do a "Food run." Turn around, go back, feed the slime, then go back out for other things. I understand that is the reason for the garden, but I still find that tedious with the amount allowed to hold in the vac.

2. I find myself going back and forth, back and forth through the same map when I haven't discovered the others yet. It can get tiring and boring real quick. However, I am addicted to cuteness. The game is too cute! I love collecting money and the sound effects the plort market makes. I like being able to experiment with slime evolution and farming. All of those qualities of the game holds my interest until I discover a new area. I just don't like the monotonous back and forth motion. I did notice, teleportation options in the game. But, how about a teleportation option on our screen? Instead of waiting till the end of the map to use it?

3. Also, it is a fun solo game. But it does get quite lonely and have no one to give a tour of your ranch to. How about a multiplayer option? I am inspired by other ranchers and their ranch decor via youtube. I just don't want to have to go to youtube for reference of such. I have to exit out of the game to do so. I also understand there are multiplayer safety issues to consider as well. Just a thought if we can maybe link family members/friends that also play the game. Rather than a multiplayer MMO thing.

Final thoughts:

I think, more options are definitely needed. I am enjoying the cuteness and the game. I look forward to the final results!

P.S. The time is not exactly 12 pm, because at this point I was trying to figure out how to do a screen capture within a game via mac. I ended the challenge at 12 pm though.
Attachments
slimerancher5daychallenge.jpg
slimerancher5daychallenge.jpg (96.99 KiB) Viewed 11690 times
Last edited by MamaKittyKookie on Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:01 pm, edited 4 times in total.
MamaKittyKookie
Plort

Postby MamaKittyKookie » Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:38 pm

First time using a forum. Please, let me know if posted my efforts correctly...?
Last edited by MamaKittyKookie on Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MamaKittyKookie
Plort

Postby MamaKittyKookie » Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:38 pm

One sitting for me.
Last edited by MamaKittyKookie on Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MamaKittyKookie
Plort

Postby Heather » Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:47 pm

MamaKittyKookie wrote:First time using a forum. Please, let me know if posted my efforts correctly...?

Welcome!
Very thorough, thank you :)
Heather
Admin

Postby asdfghjklinkin » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:53 pm

sorry for the odd screenshot, for some reason the game's screenshot option removes stats and newbucks and stuff.

I think mine went fairly well.

got slime key
went to moss blanket
grabbed 18 honey or boom slime
stuck them in a corral
grabbed pink plorts to upgrade corral with plort collector, high walls and air net
created largos
bought pond
4 puddle slimes
went back to moss blanket
gathered enough slimes for about 20 largos to 2 corrals
eight mint mangoes
built 2 farms with sprinklers with mint mangoes
built 1 corral and upgraded it
created largos
about 40 largos early day 2
went back, about 20 more boom or honey slimes, 4 more puddle slimes
built 1 corral and upgraded it
created largos
2 more gardens with mint mangoes
fully upgraded all gardens
bought tank booster 1
went to moss blanket day 4 and collected many, many chickens
fed chickens to 60 largos
collected plorts

I was still rolling in plorts when the screenshot was taken.
I think it is important to note that I gained over 10000 newbucks in day 5. Went from 20000 something to 40000 something.
I think it is also important to note that on day 3, my sales were going down significantly, so I didn't harvest plorts from honey or boom slimes and went out to collect tabby/phosphor/rock/pink plorts, and I collected pink plorts three times.

I think I did well.

Edit: Also, I did this all today, but I got bored a few times so I exited the game to go on forums lmao
I'm Linkin.
asdfghjklinkin
Rancher

Postby hsidnomeL » Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:58 pm

A single sitting for me. Just how I do challenges really. :p

*Edit* Was going to record a play through, but sadly my computer decided to no record the game right.
Last edited by hsidnomeL on Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hsidnomeL
Plort

Postby MamaKittyKookie » Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:32 pm

Heather wrote:
MamaKittyKookie wrote:First time using a forum. Please, let me know if posted my efforts correctly...?

Welcome!
Very thorough, thank you :)

Awesome! Thank you, for the welcome!
MamaKittyKookie
Plort

Postby ZenofireX » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:40 pm

1 session for each challenge. I made a plan and just go for it, pausing to take notes and screenshots at the end of each day. If I was interrupted though, I don't think I'd have trouble stopping and starting it back up again.
ZenofireX
Rancher

Postby Dreaxslar » Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:13 am

5DC2_GUI_Resized.png
5DC2_GUI_Resized.png (224.75 KiB) Viewed 11652 times

2nd Attempt

Day 1:
-Planned which Largo I would use; settled on Rock Tabby.
-Collected 11 Rock and 7 Tabby Slimes, 8 Carrots.
-Made carrot garden, some largos.
-Collected 1 Rock and 5 Tabbies, 1 Heart Beet (crate).
-Made beet garden.

Day 2:
-Gardens, Sprinklers, Nutrient Soil.
-Pulse Wave, 1st Health Module, 1st Energy Module.
-Discovered how nice Pulse Wave is for harmful slimes.
-Fed up with constant damage: 3 corrals, high walls, air nets, plort collectors

Day 3:
-Largo Fountain bursts from a corral. Lose 10 largos.
-Got frustrated with this build. Went on anyways.

Days 4, 5:
-Another garden. Get more slimes.
-???
-Profit.

Final Thoughts:

I know how unprofitable Rock Tabbies are, but I wanted to challenge myself and keep doing something other than a Honey Boom run. I went in with the intention of not going to the Moss Blanket at all, especially since I cheesed it last time. However, the constant state of near-K.O. from free-range and the expense of corrals made it hard to get more NB on hand than was needed.

(Also, both of my runs were one session each.)
Dreaxslar
Plort

Postby EldarMasterGamer » Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:02 am

There is no image, and will never be done.
1. PRT SCR doesn't work for me.
2. Screenshots get taken only in background, not the stats/newbucks.
So, i don't know what i am going to do, without image. I know there's no PROOF without images, but i can't literally do it. Sorry.

Wow. I have never been so excited. A total 15000 newbucks is confirmed.

Day 1
I instantly bought Tank Booster (for plorts and food) and went to collect a total 50 types of food to feed Gordo.
After a Slime Key, i went to find 15 honey slimes and 5 boom slimes and some Mint Mangos, and turned them into Largos. And i got just 2000 newbucks.

Day 2
I started farming more honey+boom largos and puddle slimes and i bought the garden for Mint Mangos, Pond for puddle slimes. The insanity of a corral was the explosions that Air Net couldn't bear it.
I instantly got rid of 10 Honey+Boom slimes so i could have some space.

Day 3
Not much to say, i never entered The Moss, ever on this playthrough. And doing a quest, a tarr outbreak on The Dry Reef happened. All i did is wait (there are 10 tarrs, could ended up dying if i fought.). I was still farming.

Day 4
I never did exchanges. I never entered the tabbys place on this playthrough. All i did is farm. 11000 newbucks, yikes!

Day 5 (00:00)
I kept farming with their favorite fruit. The Plort Market kept selling 25-33 newbucks.

Day 5 (9:00)
I released all of the Honey Boom Largos.

Day 5 (11:00)
I farmed puddle plorts.

There was NO UPGRADES on Garden. Corral has High Walls, Air Net and Plort Collector.
No Overgrowth and Grotto. NO SLEEP! (Gameplay for 1 hour and 33 minutes)
I was farming other types too, except Tabby Plorts.

This is a corral run.

My first post. Shoutout to Kubz Scouts.
Last edited by EldarMasterGamer on Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:49 am, edited 5 times in total.
EldarMasterGamer
Plort

Postby EldarMasterGamer » Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:03 am

My image doesn't display newbucks help
Last edited by EldarMasterGamer on Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
EldarMasterGamer
Plort

Postby EldarMasterGamer » Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:10 am

No, i threw all Honey Boom Largos to freedom.
And they will rule my ranch.
EldarMasterGamer
Plort

Postby LaDestitute » Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:27 am

Made 13k in five days for my first attempt at the five day challenge, using a free range strategy with Honey Boom Largos. I might attempt this again, now that I've learned some better ways to do this.

Day 1:
Things went off without a hitch. Bought the Jetpack as soon as I spawned, and started sprinting towards the Moss Blanket as fast as I could. When I got there, I used the Jetpack exploit to climb the outer walls and get into the Moss Blanket prematurely. As soon as I got in, I ran towards the teleporter while gathering as many Boom Slimes, Honey Slimes, Mint Mangos, and Briar Hens as I could.

When I got back to The Ranch, I made kind of a noobish mistake on my first day. Stuffed all of the Slimes into a single Corral, fed them and accidentally made +20 Largos trapped in a tiny-arse corral. I quickly got them all out to roam as much as they wanted, and went ahead to collect the spoils. After the chaos stopped, I used my hard earned Newbucks (about 800?) to build a single Farm and a Coop. Stashed my last Mint Mango and Briar Hen into their respective places, as well as demolished the only Corral so the slimes had nothing impeding them and that they could roam free as they pleased.

Day 2:
Quickly realized that +20 exploding Largos can get really crazy fast. I collected some plorts before I ended up being knocked back three times in a row and then got knocked out. Hooray. An entire day wasted, and I could of standed to make a lot more if I hadn't been knocked out. D:
Bloody bastards also ate my last Briar Hen, as well as the extra one I threw in from yesterday. I decided from here on out that having four Farms with one Mint Mango tree each probably was a better plan.

Day 3:
Fed them a little, I think, then I set out to gather more food so I could make a bit more Newbucks to build three additional farms, as well as purchase all the player upgrades available currently. Came back, fed them, made enough to upgrade the ranch as I pleased for the moment. Spent the rest of the day feeding them and running about outside of The Ranch to collect chickens. Things got pretty tedious from overcrowding and constant explosions keeping me from collecting Plorts as much as I possibly could.

Day 4:
A repeat of Day 4, mostly. Make a whole lot more this time, since I was far more focused on Plort production. I made 10k during Day 4 (or was it Day 3? I was so caught up in speedrunning this challenge, I forgot), so I was rather happy I at least hit that personal goal there relatively quickly.

Day 5:
My production of Plorts seemed to have run down majorly, purely because the Largos stopped being hungry. It was also that I realized my Largo herd was starting to dip in population, so I figured I maybe should of brought back fresh slimes to thicken the herd as well as make alternating feeding times.

I didn't make much at all this day, and ended up with a total of 13620 Newbucks by 12:00 PM on Day 5.
LaDestitute
Rancher

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion