The 5-Day Challenge

Feedback and general discussion of Slime Rancher

Re: The 5-Day Challenge

Postby dewking » Mon May 16, 2016 4:44 pm

EmeraldPlay wrote:
deepfriedoreo wrote:Hello. I played the game in adventure mode for a while on my friends computer before today deciding to buy it for myself after reading the road map and getting pumped for 0.4.0! Needless to say I am new to both the game and the forum, but when I stumbled upon the 5 day challenge I did a search and found this topic so I figured I MUST take part. Here is a run down of the day to day grind:

Day 1:
- On day 1 I cleared the main ranch area, and collected all the carrots, hens, and pogos I could find and got the slime key from the pink Gordo to use on the mossy area. I also got 2 tabby slimes and all the honey slimes I could find. I decided for this run through to not use any corrals, and destroyed the initial one for space later.
Day 2:
- On day 2 I started to plant mint mango farms in the main area of the ranch as a sort of auto food for the largos I was using, and went out to grab more honey slimes to get me all the moneys! At this point I had been completely oblivious to the ranch exchange. I also decided to put down a chicken coop for literally no reason, I am not sure what I was thinking. xD
Day 3:
- When I got back from gathering more honey slimes on this day I remembered I should check the ranch exchange and the prize was 3 golden plort in exchange for 2 tabby plorts and 4 rock plorts, so I went and grabbed some rock plorts to exchange. I also by this day started to notice that I was very low on honey/tabby largo. I saw a picture from one guy on this topic who's area was just flooded and by day 5 I don't even think I had half of that, I could just tell luck wasn't on my side but I kept going strong.
Day 4:
- The same old grind of grabbing honey slimes to turn into largos, and selling all my plorts. I started to notice I could easily break 20k on my run and got really excited. I only had 3 mint mango farms and didn't need any more.
Day 5:
- By day 5 I started to get anxious as I passed 25k I really wanted to reach 30k, but unfortunately it wasn't meant to be. I started to regret going with tabby instead of boom, but at the same time I didn't want to chance the risk. All in all I am happy with this as a first attempt to the challenge. :)

*sigh*
Read my upper posts...
Welcome, too.

Lets not be rude to newcomers, shall we? A lot of people don't know this is an "old" challenge and some people have outdated games where the 5-day challenge mode isn't even an option. I believe this challenge was made as a way to see how far the limits are for the average gamer to see how much money can actually be achieved, regardless to whether you chose to play the correct game mode or not.
dewking
Plort

Postby duskflower » Sat May 21, 2016 9:54 am

dewking wrote:
EmeraldPlay wrote:
deepfriedoreo wrote:Hello. I played the game in adventure mode for a while on my friends computer before today deciding to buy it for myself after reading the road map and getting pumped for 0.4.0! Needless to say I am new to both the game and the forum, but when I stumbled upon the 5 day challenge I did a search and found this topic so I figured I MUST take part. Here is a run down of the day to day grind:

Day 1:
- On day 1 I cleared the main ranch area, and collected all the carrots, hens, and pogos I could find and got the slime key from the pink Gordo to use on the mossy area. I also got 2 tabby slimes and all the honey slimes I could find. I decided for this run through to not use any corrals, and destroyed the initial one for space later.
Day 2:
- On day 2 I started to plant mint mango farms in the main area of the ranch as a sort of auto food for the largos I was using, and went out to grab more honey slimes to get me all the moneys! At this point I had been completely oblivious to the ranch exchange. I also decided to put down a chicken coop for literally no reason, I am not sure what I was thinking. xD
Day 3:
- When I got back from gathering more honey slimes on this day I remembered I should check the ranch exchange and the prize was 3 golden plort in exchange for 2 tabby plorts and 4 rock plorts, so I went and grabbed some rock plorts to exchange. I also by this day started to notice that I was very low on honey/tabby largo. I saw a picture from one guy on this topic who's area was just flooded and by day 5 I don't even think I had half of that, I could just tell luck wasn't on my side but I kept going strong.
Day 4:
- The same old grind of grabbing honey slimes to turn into largos, and selling all my plorts. I started to notice I could easily break 20k on my run and got really excited. I only had 3 mint mango farms and didn't need any more.
Day 5:
- By day 5 I started to get anxious as I passed 25k I really wanted to reach 30k, but unfortunately it wasn't meant to be. I started to regret going with tabby instead of boom, but at the same time I didn't want to chance the risk. All in all I am happy with this as a first attempt to the challenge. :)

*sigh*
Read my upper posts...
Welcome, too.

Lets not be rude to newcomers, shall we? A lot of people don't know this is an "old" challenge and some people have outdated games where the 5-day challenge mode isn't even an option. I believe this challenge was made as a way to see how far the limits are for the average gamer to see how much money can actually be achieved, regardless to whether you chose to play the correct game mode or not.

Exactly. They can play the challenge however they want to, there's no cause for rudeness.
duskflower
Rancher

Postby EmeraldPlay » Sat May 21, 2016 10:20 am

you triggered? sjws?
My avatar was taken from Miomilla's chart.

Not visiting this place as often so contact me on Discord if you want anything from me.
-----
Links:
The partnered Discord server for Slime Rancher I once moderated
Restored prototype features
EmeraldPlay
Treefox

Postby duskflower » Sat May 21, 2016 10:30 am

EmeraldPlay wrote:you triggered? sjws?

Neither, I just don't particularly like rudeness to newcomers because it's happened to me before. Didn't mean to jump on your case, sorry :(
duskflower
Rancher

Postby Indomitus1973 » Sat May 21, 2016 4:28 pm

Quick note: Yes, I know the 5 Day Challenge is old. I just like mixing up strategies to see where I end up...

The strategy: Honey/Boom largos, everything free range. No spending at all. No upgrades, corrals, gardens, or coops. Since collecting plorts is kind of a chore in a crowd of largos, I decided to save collection for just an occasional thing instead of all the time, and I had something specific in mind for day 5.

Day 1: First order of business is to sweep the ranch clean. Can't have any Pink slimes giving me a Tarr outbreak by accident. Then I headed out, collecting every food item I could steal away and carry. With a full load of pogos, carrots, and some hens, I headed for the Pink Gordo. By 2:00PM I had the key. Headed straight for the Moss Blanket to gather as many Honeys and Booms as I could carry back, along with some food items to get the largo process started. Got the ranch started with about 30-40 Honey/Boom Largos. Decided to spend the 100 and demolish the existing corral because it was in my way.

Days 2, 3, and 4: I just kept going through the circuit through the Moss Blanket, gathering all the food I could get, mostly focusing on chickens and mint mangoes if I could find them. (One time through at full speed was about 3 minutes, or 3 hours in the game.) Once or twice I picked up a few more Booms or Honeys to expand the herd. No idea how many I had at the peak number, but I recorded it so I could probably figure it out from the video. A couple times, I swept through the herd and gathered as many plorts as I could carry. I got knocked out once while collecting, and lost about 1000 worth of plorts (bummer).

Early hours of the morning, Day 5: Time to be a jerk. I headed out and gathered up a vac full of pink plorts, came back to the ranch and fired them into the herd of largos. With over a dozen Tarrs now wreaking havoc on the ranch, I decided to take a walk. I knew they would be done killing everything by time I got back, so I made one last walk through the Moss Blanket, gathering up nothing but plorts.
As soon as I reappeared, the Tarrs all burst and vanished. I cashed in what I had, then started collecting the plorts all over the ranch.

It wasn't the best run anyone's done, but it got me over 25k.

One of the Honey/Booms managed to survive the slaughter. I named him Boomy.

EDIT: Here's the actual end of that one. It would have been higher, but I thought it ended sooner, so I killed them all too early.
Happiness is a grotto full of chickens.
Indomitus1973
Chickadoo

Postby Indomitus1973 » Sun May 22, 2016 2:32 pm

Does anyone know what the record is for the 5 Day Rush? ;)

For my second try, I wanted a different strategy. I decided I would go ahead and spend for gardens with all the upgrades except for the scareslime, and fill them all with mint mangoes. The slimes would be honey/booms of course, and free range. No ranch expansions, just the main area.

Day 1: Cleared the ranch and popped the pink gordo. Had the key by 1:00pm this time. (Had better luck finding food for him quickly.) Headed straight into the Moss Blanket, and gathered as many honeys and booms as I could carry, plus some fruit, including some mint mangoes. Yay for luck. Got them settled in, fed them, and collected a few plorts so I could get the first couple gardens started. Then I headed back out and did a few trips through the Moss Blanket to collect chickens, more honeys or booms, and such.

Days 2, 3, 4: Basically kept circling through the world, stopping on the ranch occasionally to collect plorts and build up the gardens. In no time I had 8 fully upgraded mint mango gardens, and between 50 and 60 honey/boom largos to give me their valuable poop. I started circling through more, picking up chickens. Had lots of luck finding briar hens, [Bill Murray voice] so I got that goin' for me, which is nice.[/Bill Murray voice]

Day 5: By this point I was just going through the ranch collecting plorts from all the walls and corners where they would land every time a slime exploded. I went ahead and upgraded my vac tank to 30, so I could carry more plorts. It was totally worth it. By 8:00am on day 5 I was already past 50k, and those booming buggers were pooping faster than I could pick it up.

Day 6: More of the same. Scoop up the plorts and cash them in, fast as I could. I didn't even get all of them. There was probably another 20k-30k still laying out on the ground when the clock hit 12:00. Still... 100,000 newbucks. Yeah, baby.

If that's not a record, it's pretty darn close.

(I did record the session, so I might end up posting the video at some point.)
Indomitus1973
Chickadoo

Postby Indomitus1973 » Tue May 24, 2016 7:33 am

103895 newbucks this time.

Did basically the same as last time, plus upgrading my tank to 30 immediately, then up to 50 when I was able, upgraded my heart module all the way (so I could take a few blasts in the face without getting knocked out), upgraded the power module to 150, and bought the dash boots. I was pretty much able to keep up with the slimes' plort production this time, but I think I had fewer of them in the herd. From about day 3 to the end, I was just collecting and cashing plorts.
I was actually in the process of cashing in some plorts when the time ran out.

Factor in that I had some slow control response times from time to time, a couple glitches (shot a mango straight through a wall and kept getting stuck on the sprinklers) and quite a few mistakes thanks to a dying keyboard battery and a sore mouse wrist and just being tired, and I think next time can be much higher.

Indomitus1973
Chickadoo

Postby FoxXxSio » Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:02 pm

EDIT by Heather:
Below post as translated to English by Google Translate for our community
From the beginning , I tried to run to raditsionnym slugs , but failed. Then I decided to run to the side of mushrooms .
At the beginning just bought a tank to 30. Then I went to feed the pink boss , all right , here are some current boxes disappear into the walls . Okay , I got the key and immediately ran to open the door in Moss. He began to look for chalu transparent cat , but he knew that because of them, I 'm losing money and decided Sobieraj honey goo and slime magma , crossed their views. Pump over why the shoes . Over time, on day 3, 5 I have built gardens with green fruits and 3 pens . All the pens I prokochal to 3 stages . The gardens all prokochal , to produce a crop faster. By the end of 3 days , I scored 10,000 money, and scored 25,000 by the end of 4 days . If started immediately catch the honey and magmatic slugs , I think I could break the record , up to 60,000 of money . [/ Size]
Screenshots had to compress . My nickname to the incentive of the same FoxXxSio.

=======================
С начало, я пробовал бегать к радиционным слизням, но не получилось. Потом решил в сторону грибов бегать.
В начале купил сразу танк до 30. Потом пошёл кормить розового Босса, всё хорошо, вот тока некоторые ящики исчезали в стенах. Ладно, получил ключ и сразу побежал открывать дверь в Мосс. Начал искать по на[size=150]
чалу прозрачных кошка, но понял что из за них я теряю деньги и решил соберать медовую слизь и магму слизь, скрестил их виды. Прокачал зачем то ботинки. Со временим на 3 день я построил 5 огородов с зелёными плодами и 3 загона. Все загоны я прокочал до 3 стадий. Огороды все прокочал, чтоб быстрее добывать урожай. К концу 3 дня я набрал 10.000 денег, а к концу 4 дня набрал 25.000. Если бы сразу начал ловить медовых и магматических слизней, то думаю мог бы побить рекорд, до 60.000 денег.[/size]
Скриншоты пришлось сжимать. Мой ник в стиме такой же FoxXxSio.
Attachments
20160809011007_1.jpg
Конец 12:00 5 день.
20160809011007_1.jpg (182.54 KiB) Viewed 7256 times
20160809010531_1.jpg
27.000денег
20160809010531_1.jpg (181.17 KiB) Viewed 7256 times
Last edited by Heather on Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: translation
FoxXxSio
Plort

Postby tberty » Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:29 am

Plumpette wrote:Try taking a printscreen image while in game, (how on windows, how on mac)

And then copy paste the screenshot into an image editor and save it. (example, windows paint, gimp, photoshop)

Then upload it to a forum post with the "Upload attachment" tab below when making/editing a post, next to the options tab.

Oh, now I knew how to take a screenshot in Mac. So simple.
tberty
Plort

Postby Legion » Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:01 pm

The record seems to be 114,087 from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbItz3xqZSM.
They got really lucky since they got a gold slime right at the start, and were able to get 20 honey slimes and 20 boom slimes in one trip! The most I ever got on the first trip was ~30 slimes all together.

I got 47,830 with crystal/boom largos, then I saw the above video and could tell how OP honey slimes were, so I got 104,780 with honey/boom largos. I think I can probably get about ~125,000 if I try again and don't die, don't waste money on the Lab area, and don't waste as much time freeranging (although you have to freerange a bit at the start).

I don't know why the other guy was able to get so many slimes to spawn, but I compensated by making frequent trips back to get more, and even unlocked the Indigo Quarry using a 2nd key just to get ~10 more boom slimes. At the end I probably had about 60 honey/boom largos. The other big difference is that I planted 2 Pogo gardens at the start so I could get one harvest of ~30 Pogos before switching them to Mint Mangos.
rsz_1slimerancher-2017-02-11-08-20-24-88.png
best crystal/boom attempt
rsz_1slimerancher-2017-02-11-08-20-24-88.png (129.98 KiB) Viewed 6865 times

rsz_1slimerancher-2017-02-12-12-37-54-26.png
best honey/boom attempt
rsz_1slimerancher-2017-02-12-12-37-54-26.png (127.85 KiB) Viewed 6865 times
Legion
Plort

Previous

Return to General Discussion