Will Slime Rancher be worth a buy?

Feedback and general discussion of Slime Rancher

Will Slime Rancher be worth a buy?

Postby marcvermette » Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:33 am

Slime Rancher is $20 USD to pre-order, but is it really worth that?

Personally, I like to save money. I have an expensive computer setup which allows me to play all games with no problem, but good games are expensive. I try to follow my $1/hr rule. If a game will not keep me occupied for the same amount of hours as the dollars it cost, I will not buy it. For me, I would consider the current version of slime rancher about a 4 hour game. Once you've seen the things you've seen, and done the things you've done, you've seen and done it all. I know it's not near being done, but when it is, will it still be worth the $1/hr? Developing games is hard, it's a lot of work. It takes time (not to mention that there are currently only 2 developers). If this game is being released in 2016, I have a hard time imagining it being worth buying. Making people want the game isn't as easy as many of you think. Most of you can't wait for the release of the full game, but the number of you that feel that way is a mere ripple in a tall glass of water. I need to know if this game ever will be worth buying. I don't want to waste my time waiting for something that will never satisfy me.

The game definitely has a lot of potential (and I have to admit, it is fun), but it needs time. Rushing the release to 2016 will not help. I believe that the developers either need more time, or more help.

EDIT: I am not hating on the game. I found it to be quite enjoyable while it lasted, but nothing lasts forever.
[the treefox waits silently for her return, but knows in its heart she is gone.]
marcvermette
Rancher

Re: Will Slime Rancher be worth a buy?

Postby Thoran » Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:55 am

You can always wait for the final build to be released and reviews to be out to make a decision. Pre-alpha really is just a taste of what the game will be, you can judge from certain ranch elements like the market alone how much more is scheduled to go, as well as all the WIP areas around.
Thoran
Chickadoo

Postby Geraldine » Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:17 am

So are you asking them to push back the release date?

I agree with the person above me. Wait and see. If you see reviews of the game and don't like what you see then it won't be worth it to you.
Geraldine
Plort

Postby Kiba » Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:20 am

It's a little early to be asking stuff like that, isn't it? The game isn't even fully alpha yet. Obviously it's not going to be worth your money in its current state.
Kiba
Rancher

Postby raynewalker » Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:39 am

Honestly, you played it for 4 hours; I played it for approx 5-7 hours. All of us had different durations that we played it because we all play differently. It's an open-world sandbox game, there's tons of replayability and variations. This game is barely alpha, let alone ready for sale. That's why we're the ones who get to play it for free. Right now, you paid $0 am I right to say? And you enjoyed about 4 hours of gameplay, yea? Doesn't that make the game worth it, according to your "$1/hr rule"?

Your question is "Will Slime Rancher be worth a buy?" and my answer is: Yes. It definitely is. The matter of whether it will be complete by the time it's out is a different story yet. As the other above have said, we will talk about the full game, when the full game comes out.
raynewalker
Rancher

Postby ADcrafter » Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:21 am

If its that price, i, for myself, dont know.
I live in a country where 1 dollar for example is about 4 of our money. I actually dont think i need to explain much more, do i?

I still think i might buy the game, but simply to support monomi park, wich i have a great affection to, but i still wish the price was more...
money is the barrier of dreams.
ADcrafter
Rancher

Postby marcvermette » Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:35 pm

but right now im on these forums arent I? i dont want to waste my time here so i need to know if i should stay active or leave now
[the treefox waits silently for her return, but knows in its heart she is gone.]
marcvermette
Rancher

Postby TurnipKnight » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:24 pm

I believe it will be worth buying. What we see now is surely only a taste of what's to come. As it stands you're right about the lack of content. Due to this I simply wouldn't pre-order until a clearer representation of the final product is released. Until then do your best to support, promote, and contribute to what could be a fantastic game. If you've enjoyed what you played so far you should keep an eye on the updates and maybe post a suggestion here and there. I doubt it will be a waste of your time in the end.
Siht gnivarc rof erom seifirret uoy, tub ti si ruoy deerg taht edam em os.
TurnipKnight
Rancher

Postby SrGhostly » Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:27 pm

I agree with OP, its a good game, but even in its current state, 2016 is kind of wishful,
SrGhostly
Chickadoo

Postby marcvermette » Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:41 pm

SrGhostly wrote:I agree with OP, its a good game, but even in its current state, 2016 is kind of wishful,

thank you
marcvermette
Rancher

Postby RyuKazuha » Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:46 am

Will it be worth buying?

We don't know yet, it's not finished.

However I clocked in 10 hours easily and have been enjoying myself so far. So according to your rule and the fact that the game will get at least two more zones, probably more, I project to have played well over 20 hours of it by the time it hits release. So that's that.

Also I have to say I don't really like this kind of question very much. The prize has been set, just decide if it's worth a buy in its current state and if not, buy it as it hits a state you feel it is worth doing so. Also the current price is in now way bound to represent the current value of the experience.

From a business perspective it's perfectly fine to decide what kind of value will be assigned to the finished product and allow those who find it a good value proposition earlier in development to pay it as the game hits their mark of expectation. Especially as the current Alpha does not require any payment whatsoever to be played.
RyuKazuha
Plort

Return to General Discussion