An Official Challenge

Feedback and general discussion of Slime Rancher

Re: An Official Challenge

Postby Hibiwiki » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:46 pm

Hoh boy let me tell you what, i'm going to take the ultimate challenge for this one because I keep seeing others posting about getting the slime key and what not. For research purposes I am doing a Pink slime run only. This includes Pink plorts. Only Pink plorts. No gold, nadah.

Godspeed.
Hibiwiki
Plort

Postby NegroFox » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:18 pm

You will be doing that for a LONG time Hibiwiki lol. GOD SPEED.
NegroFox
Plort

Postby Nick » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:39 pm

Thanks for the feedback so far, everyone. Please keep it coming, it's very helpful!
Nick
Developer

Postby SpiralRancher » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:42 pm

Nick wrote:Tanks

WHERE
SpiralRancher
Rancher

Postby dakre18 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:57 pm

Fully upgrade those tanks and it looks like a rocket! The pink only run to 100k would be interesting to see. I may try this weekend when I have more time, just to see how fast i am.
dakre18
Plort

Postby SlimeRancherESP » Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:11 pm

SpiralRancher wrote:
Nick wrote:Tanks

WHERE

Tank Dempsey maybe? XD
SlimeRancherESP
Chickadoo

Postby Skinner » Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:33 pm

-bought jet-pack blew up big pink slime (all my cages (x5) were equipped with music box auto port collector, high walls and air net.
-made largo hybrids of tabby and rock(x6) also honey and boom(x13) also phosphor and pink(x24). I feed these for a while until about day 4 I realized i wasn't making enough.
-Day 4 went out and got a bunch of just pure honey(x37) and boom slimes (x13) and created 4 mint mango trees
-I encountered 1 gold slime
-collected puddle slimes every-time I saw one in the end I had (x24)
-whenever I was waiting for the mint mangos to grow i went out and collect food for my other slimes.
image free hosting
Skinner
Plort

Postby Tribune » Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:33 pm

Main ranch: 1 pond with 13 puddle slimes, 2 corrals with 12 honey/boom largos each (plort-collector, high walls, air net, music), 5 mint mango trees with sprinklers

Grotto: Several (20+) free range phosphor/honey largos, 3 mint mango trees with sprinklers (kept slimes and trees at the bottom area of the cave)

Overgrowth: Several (30+) free range tabby/honey largos, 4 mint mango trees with sprinklers

-Obtained 1 gold plort right after starting the game up which provided for an early extra garden
-Collected 5 puddle slimes in my first run-through of the moss blanket which was nice
Tribune
Plort

Postby Kitana » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:15 pm

100kControl.jpg
100kControl.jpg (254.84 KiB) Viewed 11181 times

-Primary Stats-
Nights slept: 0
Times K.O.ed: 0
Beatrix upgrades bought: All
Ranch expansions unlocked: All
Plots used: All
Gold Plorts found: 3 (Sold none)

Main farm consisted of 3 corrals with 10 slimes each [1 Boom corral, one Honey corral, and one Honey/Boom Largo corral]. Corrals were fully upgraded (minus Sun protection and auto feeder on the Boom corral). The other 5 plots were a Silo (fully upgraded), 2 Coops (fully upgraded), and 2 Gardens (fully upgraded -scare slime).

Grotto consisted of 3 ponds in the lower part (4-5 Puddle Slimes each) and 2 more Gardens in the upper part (fully upgraded -scare slime).

The Overgrowth had 1 Silo (fully upgraded) and 3 more Gardens (fully upgraded -scare slime)

Made a few rookie mistakes at the beginning that slowed me down significantly, hence the late day count. As a result, I'm considering this my control test run. I will try to complete the challenge at least 2-3 more times to solidify my personal average results.

Since I do intend to complete the challenge multiple times, I'm setting a few variables as constants across the board:
- Beatrix will be fully upgraded (if applicable)
- All the expansions will be unlocked
- All plots in use will be at least partially upgraded (if applicable)
- Gold plorts can be collected, but NOT sold (since they're an inconsistent variable that could skew results)

I'm going to try moving a few things around on the next run, hopefully with better results.

[And yes, I know the challenge is about speed, but I figured some slightly more rounded data entailing a more 'complete' result might be helpful too. After all, you can never have too much data :3]
Kitana
Chickadoo

Postby Giftig » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:42 pm

Decided to try the challenge aswell! 11 days.

Cause of action

-feed big pink for key.
-get honey slimes and boom slimes and put them in the same corral to make largos.
-make 8 Mint mango farms and 4 Corrals
-make 2 silos 1 for honey 1 for boom
-make stone / cat largos in the Green area to eat chickens and carrots

saved about 800 of each type before and just selling cat / stone plorts while farming.
Once i saw decent prices i sold it all, took 2 days and luckily the prices kept rising so i made 90k of the 100k in the last 2 days.

Only issue i had trying to make money fast was filling / emptying my bags, would me awsome with a "sell all" button? id gladly pay 30k for that ingame :p

it can probably be done 1 or 2 days faster if you are more agressive with filling your pens and if you make sure to make the stone / car largos in the green area as soon as you unlock it, i was kinda slow on that and probably cost me a good 10-20k in the long run.
Giftig
Plort

Postby crazyman185 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:56 am

Looks like I have the new record.

7 DAYS!

-Went with Honey/Boom Largos cause they give the most expensive plorts and because gardens > coops in food production. Water Slimes sounds like a good idea (since you do not need to purchase upgrades for ponds) but it takes too long to collect enough to outpace Honey/Boom Largos production
-Each corral had 15 Largos (more = hard to feed them all and TOO MANY EXPLOSIONS)
-Took 5 attempts (basically resets before day 3 to be more efficient)
-Got key within 1 hour (in-game clock) and Ignored all Tar and non Honey/Boom slimes.
-The market for Honey and Boom slimes ranged from 29-38 for me.
-Didn't bother with getting music/food dispenser upgrades for corrals, plus Tar scarecrow for garden.
-Did not build any silos, incinerator, or coops.
-Went for Open Range expansion first, then Cave.
-I never slept and I was never knocked out.
-I generally put food production ahead of slime number.
-Missed 2 gold slime opportunities cause I didn't have anything to shoot at them (spawned day 1 + 3).
-I only got health upgrades as a safety net just in case I took too much damage from explosions.
-I only had to re-plant each tree once (first two were another day off from needed a 2nd replanting).

Day by Day Things I Did

Day 1
1st Slime Key Obtained
10 Honey/Boom Largos (1st corral had Tall and Plort Collector upgrade)
2 Mint Mango Trees (no upgrades)
Dash Boots Purchased

Day 2
30 Honey/Boom Largos (Added Air Net to 1st Corral, Built 2nd Corral with the 3 upgrades)
4 Mint Mango Trees (2 upgraded, 2 not upgraded)
Jetpack Purchased
Tank Booster I Purchased

Day 3
45 Honey/Boom Largos (3rd corral purchased and upgraded)
8 Mint Mango Trees (4 upgraded, 4 not upgraded)
Open Range Expansion Purchased
Heart Module & Power Core Purchased

Day 4
60 Honey/Boom Largos (corral 4-6 purchased and upgraded, 5th and 6th left vacant)
8 Mint Mango Trees (All upgraded)
Cave Expansion Purchased
Pulse Wave Purchased (Hoped doing this would speed up other upgrades appearing)
Started saving NB: 11086 at the end of the day

Day 5
75 Honey/Boom Largos (All corrals upgraded, 5 being used, 1 vacant)
13 Mint Mango Trees (All upgraded)
Tank Booster Mk II Purchased
Heart Module & Power Core Mk II Purchased
Saved NB: 33925 at the end of the day

Day 6
90 Honey/Boom Largos (All 6 corrals upgraded and used)
Saved NB: 66998 at the end of the day

Day 7
Stayed at Ranch entire day (1st day doing so)
Wanted to purchase Tank Booster Mk III and Power Core MK III but I guess they come Day 8.
100000+ NB reached at 19:16

Things I could have done to improve:

-First 2 days I fiddled outside the ranch a bit 2 much, could have been more efficient
-I could have ignored crates
-I could have skipped the Jetpack and Blast Wave upgrades
-I missed both Gold Slime spawns
-I could have done more slimes per corral but no idea if that would have been more efficient

Last Thoughts
If executed perfectly + crazy good luck with market prices, before 12:00 on Day 7 possible
Sub 7 days looks impossible (unless someone makes a different super efficient strategy)
Selling large amounts of plorts is tedious, wish we could sell them in bulk
Last edited by crazyman185 on Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:48 pm, edited 6 times in total.
crazyman185
Chickadoo

Postby NapalmFlame » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:42 am

Judging by the 7 and 8 day completions, mine was pretty inefficient. I think sub-7 may be possible if using 7 honey boom largo corrals, if they're brought into production quickly enough. I'd say it isn't likely though.

First days were pretty solid, used the jetpack skip to pass the door on day 1, though feeding the gourdy would probably have been just as quick. First run picked up honey and boom slimes in moss blanket, and unlocked overgrowth and grotto at about day 4. Overfilled them with honey tabbies and honey phosphors though, collecting became a bit of a nightmare. Probably still more efficient to rely on honey booms entirely just for the convenience of the plort collector, but free range was relatively quick. I used the other gourdies as quick sources of phosphor and tabby slimes to make up for pretty low spawn rates.
NapalmFlame
Chickadoo

Postby kyttias » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:06 am

The first three days are crucial! These are more specific tips accumulated from my first and second attempts (JUST for the first three days), in case you want to implement any of them:

day 1 - Create a garden with your initial cash and plant the Pogo Fruit you can find beside your hourse. Gather ALL the food, leave immediately doing nothing else, steal ALL the Pogo Fruits and Carrots you can find, and unlock the next area (the Moss Blanket) via the Pink Gordo's key.

Once in the Moss Blanket, gather as full a possible inventory as you can, backtracking multiple times as necessary - the time spent getting here just isn't worth a second trip today, so be thorough! I recommend bringing home Honey Slimes, Boom Slimes, Mint Mangos and either Honey or Boom Plorts (whichever you feel you'll have more of). Do NOT be tempted to bring home Puddle Slimes!! You need the money from the plorts NOW!

Now that you're home, deposit the Plorts, gather the Pogo Fruit from your garden, and put ONLY the Honey Slimes in the corral. Then shove their faces full of the Pogo Fruit... and immediately reap the profits by sucking both the Honey Slimes and their Plort back up. Sell the Honey Plorts, upgrade that corral to have High Walls and and an Air Net -- and toss in all your Boom Slimes but only half of your Honey Slimes. Plant a Mint Mango garden (in ADDITION to your Pogo Fruit garden, not replacing it, no need to waste that food just yet).

If you have enough left over, create a second corral with no upgrades for the other half of your Honey Slimes. If not, don't worry about it, since you won't be feeding them enough food to transform them all, and just dump them all into the same corral. Feed them the remaining Mint Mangos.

day 2 - For today, focus on free ranging Rock Slimes & Largos in their natural habitat for early profit. Gather at least 20 Rock Plorts and 20 Pogo Fruit to return home with (even though they're not a Honey's favorite, they'll appreciate the surplus food). Should you choose to return the Moss Blanket now (and whenever), it's definitely worthwhile to stay and collect as many Honey and Boom plorts as possible. I recommend only returning with Honey Slimes from now on. If you can't afford to fully upgrade a pen, they're easy to feed and suck up, so keeping a few small ones on hand doesn't hurt. And when you're done with your Moss Blanket visit, tend to your babies, then go out for another free range Rock Slime run. Upgrade as you see fit, but I recommend you try to make more gardens before upgrading the second pen.

day 3 - Upgrade your gardens! By the end of day three your goal is to have four Gardens (with Nutrient Soil and Spinklers) and four Corrals (ALL with High Walls and Air Nets, at least TWO of them with Plort Collectors, Auto-Feeders and Music Boxes). Even if they don't all have slimes in them to their fullest yet, they will soon, yeah? Oh, and don't do a lot of running back and forth selling plorts unless A) you need to buy something real bad, B) the collector is nearly full, C) you've upgraded your tank.

From here on out it's really sheer profit. If you can accomplish the above by noon on Day 4, you'll definitely make it before Day 10. Push harder, guys!

I'm not totes sure on if the Tabby Gordo is worth doing, but if you continue doing Rock Plort runs in your spare time, it very well may be for the teleport home. If that's the case, suck up all the chicks and chickens on the way to the Moss Garden, feeding the Tabby Gordo what little you can, and leaving the chicks behind to grow up.
kyttias
Plort

Postby Rockmuncher » Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:02 pm

Got it on day 13. Like a lot of people, I fed the pink slime on the first day, grabbed as many honey and boom slimes as possible and bred honeybooms. I made 6 gardens with mint mangos and made a couple ponds for slime puddles. My prices were fairly low on the exchange, so it took longer than expected.
Rockmuncher
Plort

Postby Maryse » Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:25 pm

I decided to give it another go.

I have:
  • 6 corrals (high walls, net, plort collector) with 10 Honey Boom Largos each.
  • 4 gardens (nutrient soil, sprinkler) with mint mangoes.
  • 1 pond with 15 Puddle Slimes.
  • 1 silo (no upgrades).

Gold slime encounters:
Day 1: Went too close to a gold slime, it disappeared.
Day 2: Saw a Gold slime spawn then it flew away, hit a tree and disappeared.
Day 4: Another gold slime spawned, flew right into a wall and disappeared.
No Gold Plort collected.

I got knocked down once because I wasn't paying attention to my health when closed to my Largos. The only player upgrade I bought was a tank expansion.
I went straight for the Pink Gordo to get the key and get Honey Slimes ASAP. Only touched Honey and Boom slimes (and Phosphor slimes once 'cause I didn't have anything to do in my ranch). I only bought the Overgrowth, no Grotto.
Maryse
Plort

Postby Kitana » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:17 pm

100k2nd.jpg
100k2nd.jpg (237.04 KiB) Viewed 11095 times

-Primary Stats-
Nights slept: 0
Times K.O.ed: 0
Beatrix upgrades bought: All
Ranch expansions unlocked: All
Plots used: All
Gold Plorts found: 2 (Sold none)

Uggggggh this playthrough did not go as well as I had hoped it would. For the first 6 days everything went super smoothly! I had all the expansions unlocked, 8 Mint Mango farms working at full capacity, 3 corrals with 10 Largos each (20 Honey/Booms, 10 Honey/Phosphors), 4 ponds (only 2 had Puddles in them at the time). Life was good.

But then on Day 7, I had a sllliiiigght Tarr incident that wiped out a good 3rd of my Largos. Whoops. Still, I was on perfect track to wrap up around Day 12! ....until the Plort market crashed. Oi.

I wasn't originally going to go with the Phosphor Largos, but I accidentally tossed the wrong plort into the wrong pen, and one thing led to the other. Mistakes were made.

No surprise, the chickens were holding me back in the first go-round. But it made me think..... just how much were they holding me back?

So, next run will be a comparison experiment-- 3 Corrals, 10 Honey/Booms each, but with Briar Coops instead of Mint Mango Gardens. Puddle Slimes will still be a part of the ranch, as well as free-range plort/resource collecting.

This is probably going to end horribly.
Kitana
Chickadoo

Postby Kupsy » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:59 am

I wanted to be more helpful than this but I just didn't do as well as I thought I would :(

Well as you can see I finished on day 17.

On the first day I got two gold plorts, sold them for 200 each. I, like many others, fed the big pink gordo for the key asap to get into the mossy area for honey/boom slimes (and puddles, 'cos money and adorable)...
I think the mistake I made compared to most people was not expanding as much, I bought the cavern ranch expansion but not the other one, I only had four corrals and two ponds, the rest were cuberries/mangoes/heartbeets.. I ended up with a ridiculous amount of cuberries.
Also from day 8 onwards for about 4 days the stock market was like nope, I don't even want your plorts, and the prices were just terrible so I didn't sell for a while. In retrospect I probably should've just ignored it and sold them anyway, instead of waiting around.
And finally, on days 10 and 16 I had Tarr related disasters due to my completely ethical methods of keeping around 15+ Honey-Booms in one Corral.

tl;dr - My run wasn't the most successful or useful, but hopefully people can learn from my mistakes, expand more, etc :p Good luck to everyone else who does this <3
Also I will admit to getting distracted a lot when the slimes were being cute lol... When they stack themselves up and keep running around how can you NOT stare?
Kupsy
Plort

Postby Vinsmoke » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:06 pm

I would like to take part in this :D

** Will update this post**
Vinsmoke
Plort

Postby Brushbell » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:22 pm

This was a really fun challenge to attempt but I have to say there NEEDS to be some way to automatically cash in all the plorts in your tank at once. standing there shooting plorts into the stock market became torture after a while
Brushbell
Plort

Postby LongJoeSilver » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:33 pm

9 days. Could've been 8 but I made a couple of mistakes.

-Got Key
-Got honeys, booms, mangos and some briar hens
-Fed hens to booms to get startup funds
-Planted mangos
-Went back out for more honeys & booms and some puddle slimes & plorts
-Made honeybooms
-Spent first 4-5 days upgrading and making repeated trips out to get plorts and puddle slimes
-Accidentally destroyed one of my mango trees
-Accidentally replaced tree with second pond
-Destroyed pond and replaced with mango tree
-Spent 4 days intensively feeding slimes and collecting plorts

My setup was:
-5 mango trees with nutrient soil and sprinklers
-2 corrals each containing 20 honeybooms and upgraded with high walls, air net, plort collector and music box ('cause I thought it might stop them escaping so often)
-1 pond with 10 puddle slimes

I also wasted money on some probably unnecessary vac-pack upgrades, although the mk3 tank was useful for collecting plorts.

I actually made 100k a bit before the screenshot shows, but I didn't realise the in-game screenshot function doesn't show the HUD and spent money on a jetpack to get that shot from the top of my roof, so then had to earn some more to get the 100k screenshot.

Oh, and I didn't sleep or get knocked out.

Hope you find this useful, devs :)

edit: pictures didn't work. I put the url between the img things; anyone tell me what I did wrong?
2nd edit: fixed pictures, thanks tribune :)
Last edited by LongJoeSilver on Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LongJoeSilver
Chickadoo

Postby Tribune » Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:19 pm

LongJoeSilver wrote:edit: pictures didn't work. I put the url between the img things; anyone tell me what I did wrong? Here's the album link: http://imgur.com/a/QgPWp

Try copy/paste the BBCode (Forums) link found to the right side of your pictures on imgur.
Tribune
Plort

Postby LongJoeSilver » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:22 pm

Tribune wrote:Try copy/paste the BBCode (Forums) link found to the right side of your pictures on imgur.

Thanks, I'll try that... when imgur stops having a hissy fit because it's overloaded or something.

btw I also agree with the need for a sell all button - why not make it so that when you stand in front of the plort market, pressing E will sell everything in the selected tank? While we're about it, why not press E next to the plort collector to fill a tank? :)
LongJoeSilver
Chickadoo

Postby Nick » Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:25 pm

Thank you all for participating in this challenge. We got what we needed and have posted a new challenge. Check it out!

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1572
Nick
Developer

Postby imaginamagica » Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:13 pm

I'm sorry, but I will have to rescind my participation in this challenge. Things are getting extremely tricky in my last semester of school, so I have to focus on that first.

I'll be rejoining this community fully when I'm done though. Love this game and am excited to see where it will go. :)
Just your friendly neighborhood game designer.
imaginamagica
Rancher

Previous

Return to General Discussion