Suggestions

Feedback and general discussion of Slime Rancher

Re: Suggestions

Postby marcvermette » Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:34 pm

aooga321 wrote:I'm going to try to keep my suggestions as realistic, implementable, and in the spirit of the game as possible. I'll also try to not repeat other's suggestions too much.

1. Ability to input how many food items an auto-feeder shoots out and how often.
2. Increased Vac Slots (expensive upgrades)
3. Game needs some gold sinks, especially in late game (naming slimes, ranch aesthetics, temporary boosts, etc.)
4a. Vastly reduced slime spawns (water slimes are the only type that require a bit of work to acquire at the moment, it should feel special to find the slime you are looking for)
4b. The ability to breed slimes (balancing may be an issue here)
5. Slime death (As ranchers, our slimes should be precious. A visual indicator of when they are about to die.)
6. Reworked chicken farming (chicken coops are very under powered right now, they produce too slow. And although it's a bug, you can't create more stony hens)
7. Replace the pulse upgrade with a reverse suction upgrade (imagine the fun of scattering slimes with an overpowered leaf blower!)
8. A method of transporting auto-harvested plorts faster. (Late game, it's easy to spend an entire day just sucking up and selling plorts. Not really fun.)
9. Slow down the mid-game (There's a point where you start making money insanely fast and can buy all the upgrades, pens, etc in just a few days.)
10a. A slime that interacts with farming in some way (perhaps it produces it's own type of fruit or it's plorts can be used as fertalizer)
10b. A slime that hoards collected food inside of it. It expands as it collects and you can see the items inside of it. Sucking the slime will cause it to stick to the vac, extracting the food inside. (It'll eat what it needs from it's hoard when it is hungry, but otherwise makes for a useful harvester)
11. Seasons and/or Weather (small things like water slimes spawning in the rain have a huge impact on immersion)
12. Slime temperance (aggressive to other species, aggressive to only their own species, aggressive to slimes with the same diet, shy slimes, defensive slimes, follow you around slimes, etc.)

From here on I'm just going to have different slime suggestions
-Sticky slime that can climb walls
-Mini slimes (work together kind of like an ant colony)
-Hoarding Slime (as above, see 10b)
-Nocturnal Slime (sleeps during the day, eats at night only)
-Pest Slime that sometimes spawns near your crops (better have tabby or scare-slime on guard)
-Imitation slime (Always looks like and behaves like a different slime, but changes upon eating different plorts or randomly for survival when very hungry. Unintended largos anyone?)

added :D
[the treefox waits silently for her return, but knows in its heart she is gone.]
marcvermette
Rancher

Postby marcvermette » Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:16 am

is anybody actually paying attention to this? or should i just stop lol
[the treefox waits silently for her return, but knows in its heart she is gone.]
marcvermette
Rancher

Postby Ghandhikus » Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:27 am

Attaching my suggestions written on steam. The list is quite large and detailed.
http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/file ... 016285371/
Game designer and programmer.
fb.com/TheIslandsGame
Ghandhikus
Chickadoo

Postby ashtrainer27 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:08 pm

alright I COMPLETELY agree with all your ideas except the clear slime one. I mean it's a great idea and all, but you said it like it was just ONE plort. and where would you find it? Again i LOVE the ideas, but think of what someone could do if they bred clear slimes, got ONE gold slime, and just went to town with it?
But I DO think that they should add these ideas.
ashtrainer27
Plort

Postby MoltenFox » Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:21 pm

here are some that i thought up in my 12 hours of straight playing the game
1: general upgrades for the ranch expansions that branch (example: farming / free-roam (no corral's) / corrals and say you pick free-roam you get a choice of 3 more like auto plort collection / auto seed gardens / auto chicken feeder; then etc etc)
2: access to upgrades sooner or make them harder to get or have to do/buy research to get some of the good ones
3: (I'm sure this has been said before) a simple pet slime that follows you while you're at the ranch and stays nears the house when your not on the ranch and maybe can help you and/or have special upgrades by feeding it plorts
4: upgrade to put cameras in your ranch and if you go inside your house you can view them
5: a balcony on top of the house with a chair you can sit on just to overlook your ranch because who doesn't want just to sit there and look at their ranch
MoltenFox
Plort

Postby Xebwar » Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:52 pm

Here are a few things that came to my mind that haven't been mentioned, or my expansion on ideas.

Thief slime: a rare nuisance slime that steals from your ranch (silos, dispensers, plort collectors, gardens, chickens, etc.). It is extremely fast and hard to catch. Does not produce plorts itself.

Appearance:
*invisible(like a wavy distortion)/transparent before it is startled (whether from being sucked up, or close proximity to player)
and/or
*raccoon/bandit mask

possible aspects to consider (Can be all, none, or any combination of these. Other suggestions are welcome :)):
*Can go through corral walls
*Can only steal a certain number of items at once before scurrying off to its lair.
*Whether or not it drops the items it picked up when spooked or sucked up.

Different implementations of how you might deal with them (Any one of these):
*Cannot be fully sucked up (similar to largos and Tarrs)
*Can slip out of vac on its own if not disposed of soon.
*Must use an object (like water, for instance) to shoo/scare it away.

Rarity can be directly proportionate to how much of a nuisance he is to deal with. A nuisance slime like this will require the rancher to keep a closer eye out on his/her ranch and add more of a challenge to the game.

Other ideas:

*Usage for slimes or their plots in the wild, like using boom slimes/plorts to destroy walls to get to other areas, or to break rocks to get special materials.
*Special altars where you can craft one-time upgrades using plorts (like an extra VAC tank).

To expand on the pet slimes idea,
I’m going to assume that you are all referring to having a slime(s) wander the ranch without causing trouble, but what about slime companions? For instance, you could have a reputation with a slime and if you are on good enough terms, it will follow you around in the wild, and you can give it orders (perhaps a super rare “shiny” subspecies so the game doesn’t have to keep track of the reputation of every slime in the game. It can even look and behave the same as its brethren until you are on good terms with it). This would go well with my idea for slime usages in the wild, like telling your boom slime to blow up a wall or a phosphorus slime to fly you to a place your jetpack couldn’t take you (be careful not to have it out past daybreak ;)), or even a slime to guard your ranch from things like thief slimes or keep your other slimes in check.
Xebwar
Plort

Postby Kimparo » Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:26 am

1. I would like the plots to be slightly more spread out and larger. I don't mind them being square, but they seem so stale and cramped.

2. Upgrades to make the walls reduce or completely stop explosions from boom slimes from escaping.

3. Decorating the farm in places and the inside of your home. I'd love to take the Sulphur plorts, put them on a string, and hang them up in the groto...

4. Some form of mid/late game automation for collecting/selling plorts from your collection stations. Nothing overpowered. It needs some major or minor risk that makes it worse than doing it yourself besides saving time.

5. Upgrades and settings to the auto feeder. Let us select when to feed, how much to feed, and have more than one type of food stored in it.

6. I bet this is already planned, but spacing out the slimes and/or adding more along the way so the progression is a bit slower. Currently you go, Pink, rock, taby/sulphur, boom/honey/puddle. With the jump from taby and sulphur to boom/honey being massive.

7. Combining slimes for max profit isn't very risky so long as you have all the upgrades for the walls and roof and don't stuff 20 boom slime combos in one pin. But no one wants them to just randomly go Tarr and ruin everything. There's VERY little risk of an extra plort flying into a pin, even more so at current late game where you just do boom and honey. So something to change this up.

8. I'd like to see slimes, both wild and in a pin, not yeld as much all the time without their fave food. Normal food = 0-1 plort and fave = 1-2 plorts. Even a process in which you go through to tame them to get past this to current settings of 1 per normal food and 2 per fave, would be nice.

9. I believe weather is already planned, but yeah. That'd be nice, bring out new slimes too and alterations/replacements of existing ones. Instead of pink ones everywhere, we could have muddy slimes that leave 'lil mud splats when they jump and move as they track mud everywhere.

10. Another slot to hold items after a while, so we have 5 instead of just 4. Maybe even an upgrade to let us hold 100 water on the side.

11. Slimes to fight back against the Tarr. I don't see why a rock slime doesn't roll into it to send it flying away, or why a boom slime doesn't explode on it.

12. Bug slimes. They're half the size of normal slimes, you need at LEAST 4 for them to survive in a pin and combining them in anyway with a another slime makes the size slightly smaller than current combinations.
Kimparo
Plort

Postby marcvermette » Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:40 pm

im still working on making this thread neater
marcvermette
Rancher

Postby toadbert09 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:40 pm

I definitely agree with the reduction of natural tarr, maybe only certain slime largos can become tarrs when they eat certain plorts, perhaps opposing slimes/plorts such as a dog plort and tabby slime or rock largos and cloud plorts, which is a lot more unlikely in the wild, but about as likely at the ranch as it normally is .
toadbert09
Plort

Postby toadbert09 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:53 pm

Even just despawning plorts would be fine, too. At late-game stages it isn't worth it to pick up pink slime plorts, which makes pink largos a lot more common, subsequently making tarr more common as well. I'm fine with the tarr balancing out the slime population in an area sometimes, but it's kind of annoying when passing through some of the first areas and always seeing/having to deal with tarr.
toadbert09
Plort

Postby RoyalStarlord » Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:31 pm

Oh oh oh here's an idea about the ingame encyclopedia! Or... SLIMEcyclopedia? Whatever.

Lets say that. due to an ingame error, the slimecyclopedia had encountered a bug and must be manually updated so that it can expand and restore its knowledge and memory.

Basically, you point your reticle at something and the slimecyclopedia will update to show you the image of the something you pointed at, but with certain resources and slimes, not much else. However, some items you suck up with your vac-pac will have additional information unlocked. BUT, only certain objects, items, resources and slimes will have the remainder of its information locked until you put an object into an analyzing device of sorts that you can unlock all information to be viewed in the slimecyclopedia.

Is this good? y/n?
RoyalStarlord
Plort

Postby Nakhryn » Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:15 pm

RoyalStarlord wrote:Oh oh oh here's an idea about the ingame encyclopedia! Or... SLIMEcyclopedia? Whatever.

Lets say that. due to an ingame error, the slimecyclopedia had encountered a bug and must be manually updated so that it can expand and restore its knowledge and memory.

Basically, you point your reticle at something and the slimecyclopedia will update to show you the image of the something you pointed at, but with certain resources and slimes, not much else. However, some items you suck up with your vac-pac will have additional information unlocked. BUT, only certain objects, items, resources and slimes will have the remainder of its information locked until you put an object into an analyzing device of sorts that you can unlock all information to be viewed in the slimecyclopedia.

Is this good? y/n?

That's an alright idea and if they actually model the inside of the house, it would be a good place to place (that's redundant) the Analyzer. But for the slimes, I think that analyzing their plorts should give you all the information you need about them. Because catching a Golden slime is... you know, impossible.
Sometimes I may be blunt, but it's for your own good.
Nakhryn
Rancher

Postby KRMINATOR » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:49 pm

Souldrake wrote:** Tarr **

The Tarr seems like something that should be there to punish excessive or over-zealous slime science, not something that occurs naturally as frequently as it does. Perhaps making largos that eat a plort not of their make up just destabilizes them and they explode and die getting slime all over the place instead of creating Tarr?

Personally, I see the naturally occurring tarrs as the main source of stability in natural slime ecosystems: if any one place has too high of a population density (with at least three types of slimes), then a tarr is created, and it eats every slime in the small area it is in. Because of this, the slime population outside the ranch is kept under control naturally, just like in real life. The only difference is that there is no starvation nor sickness, because the tarr takes its role. One could compare the tarr to spiders. Even though they are unpleasant, without them there would be a lot more other bugs.

However, your idea on exploding largos, I think that would fit in very well with the radioactive "rad slimes". Since they are radioactive, it would make sense for them to be unstable because of it. Not only that, but since rad slimes are not yet naturally obtainable in the game, the devs could easily add in this feature for them without upsetting anybody.
KRMINATOR
Plort

Postby Pigcatapult » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:10 pm

KRMINATOR wrote:
Souldrake wrote:** Tarr **

The Tarr seems like something that should be there to punish excessive or over-zealous slime science, not something that occurs naturally as frequently as it does. Perhaps making largos that eat a plort not of their make up just destabilizes them and they explode and die getting slime all over the place instead of creating Tarr?

Personally, I see the naturally occurring tarrs as the main source of stability in natural slime ecosystems: if any one place has too high of a population density (with at least three types of slimes), then a tarr is created, and it eats every slime in the small area it is in. Because of this, the slime population outside the ranch is kept under control naturally, just like in real life. The only difference is that there is no starvation nor sickness, because the tarr takes its role. One could compare the tarr to spiders. Even though they are unpleasant, without them there would be a lot more other bugs.

For a while I was puzzled by how the [s]zombie plague[/s] Tarrs hadn't overrun the planet, because their Slimepedia entry doesn't mention that they die within a few minutes of being created, presumably returning the slimestuff to the soil. Since slimes burst out of walls and stone pipes and stuff, I'm assuming that the Far Far Range is, itself, some sort of mega-organism allmother that generates temporary slime organisms for some reason, which will naturally have their biomass returned to the allmother once they're done eating all the things.
Pigcatapult
Rancher

Postby CountFraaz » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:40 pm

I think the plort market should only show plorts of slimes that you have in your slimepedia instead of all the plorts
CountFraaz
Plort

Previous

Return to General Discussion