On raising meat.

Feedback and general discussion of Slime Rancher

On raising meat.

Postby Allaki » Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:51 am

Is there a notable "trick" or "Strategy" to raising hen hens in this game? I had 1 corral with 10 tabby slimes, and 2 active coops could only supplement their meals, with the bulk of the meat coming from gathering almost every chicken out on the range. I don't see how you can make any profit off of a meat-eating slime without breading omnivorous largos.
Allaki
Chickadoo

Re: On raising meat.

Postby dsdan » Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:22 am

Breeding chicken doesn't cost you anything though? Which means the money off plorts are all profit.
As far as I can tell there are no detrimental effects to having hungry slimes so I just feed them when I can and gather the plorts. You do need 2 coops per 10 tabbies if you want them to be happy all the time but since there's a bug with entities in ranch extensions disappearing it is hard to have two coops in the main area.
If you get the overgrowth extension to the ranch you will have a huge boost to your chicken production since 10+ chickens spawn in there every time you go in.

I find that it is all about the 'plort value' to 'time taken to acquire food' ratio and since you get 1 plort per food for any slime, tabbies are pretty good.
dsdan
Plort

Postby Allaki » Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:00 am

For me, food is potential plorts. And with that said, chickens offer the least plort potential. Compaired to a pogofruit or carrot plot, which offer more food in less time, you can keep corrals full with food, keep slimes eating, and keep plorts flowing. Right now it just feels like chickens should to totally avoided, since five, say, tabby rock largos, will out produce the plorts of ten tabby slimes, counting rock plorts,with heartbeet farms. Hens are just too slow to grow.
Allaki
Chickadoo

Postby dsdan » Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:02 am

Hm, I did not try heartbeets but all my farms seem to be very irregular in food output (might be a bug-only spawns food every 3 days) and my coops have been a lot more reliable along with the chicken spawn in the overgrowth. However, I have moved onto honey slimes and pond slimes since I do tire of micromanaging food. Also I tend to avoid largos because they are a pain to manage in large numbers.
dsdan
Plort

Postby Allaki » Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:29 am

Largos are definitely an investment. High walls, plort collector, and air nets take care of most problems though. And you only need about five largos per pen to really see some good income. As a bonus, it's split up into two kinds of plorts, so you should always be making a good bit of bank, especially when you mix things like honey and boom slimes.

The growth problem seems to be easily dealt with by two things. Never upgrading your farms, (as the upgrades seem to half all sorts of production, instead of doubling it) And replanting every harvest until you see fruits/leaves. Since this will skip the downtime between growths.

As for the chicken problem. You can definitely keep meat eating slimes if you go out and capture hens. But foraging is just so much better than using coops. You can hardly feed carnivors unless you're really focussing on chicken production only using coops. So they're... just kind of useless at the moment.
Allaki
Chickadoo

Postby Hiding » Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:35 pm

For meat eating slimes I generally just run largos so you just feed them the other comboes food. So phosphotabbys u can just chuck fruits at them.

On a random side note I use the grotto as a sort of jurassic slime park where i try to keep all the most dangerous comboes like rockboom or phosphobooms. And the despawn bug may be handy if any of them escape
Hiding
Rancher

Return to General Discussion