A Public Thank-You Letter to Nick from a Spiral Knight

Community discussion unrelated to Slime Rancher

A Public Thank-You Letter to Nick from a Spiral Knight

Postby ReavSquared » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:46 pm

Hello, Mr. Nick, and by extension, everyone else who can see this!
I'm not sure whether or not if this is the ideal place that I can write this up, but I hope that Nick will be able to read this, since this is for him and everyone else that helped him along the way.

I wanted to thank you for your work on Spiral Knights. I personally remembered starting the game up all the way back in late 2011, when the game just crawled out of it's beta, and I thoroughly enjoyed what I saw. Granted, I originally joined because there was a promotional event with Team Fortress 2 involving a free hat, and I wanted more games in my Steam library at the time, but I managed to stick around Spiral Knights instead, getting my attention and then some.

I was very ecstatic on how the mechanics worked in the game. It was not anything complicated or or anything derivative from a conventional MMO, such as lengthy skill trees or taking turns to attack. Instead, we had the option to chop, shoot, or blow foes up with a tight pool of distinctive weapons to use, such as swords, guns, bombs, or a mix depending on your playstyle. Weapons were very easy to use, relegated to a standard attack and a charged attack, and each different weapon had a different effect, and you were practically encouraged to mix and match several different types of weapons to your arsenal for optimal play, but in a very user-friendly way to not alienate most people who would try it out! I believe that user-friendly philosophy extended to how you progressed through the game itself. Instead of vast, sweeping overworlds, progression was more level-based, with each level lasting around 5~20 minutes each depending. The levels stressed going through the game in small bursts for very busy types, yet encouraged replayability and the chance to learn and master the levels for the more dedicated types. And mastering those levels, as semi-randomized as they can be, was very rewarding. Mainly with gathering money faster and not dying as much, but also with catching on to subtler details and nuances in the levels that could either help you and your friends gain an edge, or something to take a screenshot on and sharing it with everyone to see. Such as going through the Arcade, and noticing the different symbols that pop up on the elevators and the colors that correspond to it, knowing what enemies to look forward to facing next! Or being able todestroying wheel lauchers when positioned correctly at the Firestorm Citadel, alongside being able to pick up objects through flames to speed things up. These details are small, for sure, but they added up, in my perspective. Crafting was very easy to understand as well, going from a total lack of stars to five, and everything was well-defined to not be too confusing. The different types of enemies you faced were distinctive as well, and each had their own defined strengths and weaknesses! Types of damage you could deal to enemies was small yet very tightly established! I know I went off on a tangent about the details about this game, but what I am getting at is that you managed to craft a game that was simple and easy to understand on the surface, but got deeper, complex and more challenging as you stuck with it. The art style was the icing on the cake as well, I felt like everything blended very well together, gameplay wise. And I loved, loved LOVED it. It was addicting to play a game such as that, to say the least.

I loved the fact that it also brought together many different types of people that were easy to approach, due to the smaller-scale design of the game. I could meet people and have a decent laugh at the game's hub, join up with a few others in the middle of a level, or join a guild and type away in swampy green letters! This type of game pretty much encouraged interacting with other players and possibly buidling tight communities from it. I have had a lot of fun meeting different types of people, going through different runs with them, helping them out, having them help ME out, the laughs we shared, the tears we shed when we all got killed at the same time in the same level, or the guild events that were thrown involving marathon runs of previous levels or playing PvP. Some of my most favorite moments in gaming came from this game, and by extension, some of my most favorite moments PERIOD as well. I have met several of my closest friends through this game, people who I probably would not have met otherwise and share close connections with. This game helped me grow as a person as well, such as giving me ways to manage and mingle with other people, and helped me break out of my proverbial shell for skills to use elsewhere. Whether or not this was your intent, I would like to give my deepest gratitude to you and your staff for making all of this happen regardless.
I've gathered up almost 2,000 hours ever since I started playing SK, I enjoyed it THAT much. I was VERY enthusiastic about all of the different details the game had to offer, such as the lore, the knights themselves, the enemies, the environments, and everything else about Cradle. I went far enough to write short fanfictions, or dramatized stories about my escapades with my avatar. Probably silly, sure, but I was essentially provided a canvas to get my creative juices flowing and generating ideas, massive bouts of inspiration for new stories or to better my writing! I always became ECSTATIC when a new update was out when it didn't involve any sort of costume, which gave ample chance for others to band together once again and make more magic happen with whatever new craze in the game was headed our way.
I apologize if this post was a bit lengthy and tangential, but I really wanted to thank you and the team with all of your hard work back at OOO. I will definitely stand behind whatever current or future projects you have coming you way! Like Slime Rancher! I wish I can get the game soon, but being a college student can get really cumbersome at times. I WILL stay tuned to it's development, and you bet that the moment I will be able to buy the game, I will be allllllllllllll over it!

I hope you will be able to see this, because I cannot thank you all enough for all the joy you provided us. You earned yourself a loyal fan, and I look forward to supporting you all in the future!

With deepest gratitude from an impassioned vanguard,

Reavereavs
ReavSquared
Plort

Re: A Public Thank-You Letter to Nick from a Spiral Knight

Postby CrazeePi » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:59 pm

To bad SK has died at least 1000 times.
If an admin or such sees this please delete this account. I did not see any way to delete this account in the settings.
CrazeePi
Keeper

Postby ReavSquared » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:01 pm

CrazeePi wrote:To bad SK has died at least 1000 times.

Can't disagree with that.
ReavSquared
Plort

Postby Nick » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:17 am

Thanks for the kind words, Reav. I have lots of fond memories of SK too :)
Nick
Developer

Postby ReavSquared » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:04 pm

Nick wrote:Thanks for the kind words, Reav. I have lots of fond memories of SK too :)

Oh my gosh, you saw my message! Mission accomplished!

And you are most welcome, as well, I was happy to take part of that wonderful ride, and will continue supporting you hereon. :)
ReavSquared
Plort

Return to Far, Far Off-Topic