Ranking system

Community discussion unrelated to Slime Rancher

Ranking system

Postby Onyxdragon » Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:29 pm

Because of what I have been seeing a lot lately, I think the system for your rank should be based on the number of posts you've made AND how long you've been a registered. I know the rules say that you aren't allowed to spam, but the admins can only keep track of so many people at once. But if the way I mentioned was used, better ranks would be rewarded to people who slowly work there way to it, not the people who are greedy for a higher rank and make constant unnessesary spam.

(You know who you are.)

I don't quite know how it would work because I'm not expert at forums, but it's just a suggestion.
I’m a cryptid that appears here every 100 years.

Started on this forum in high school, now in my last year of college.
Onyxdragon
Rancher

Re: Ranking system

Postby Heather » Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:47 pm

Actually it does keep going after "Rancher"

But with that said, I'm not one for labels... never have been.
Not sure what the big deal is to be honest.
Heather
Admin

Postby Onyxdragon » Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:16 pm

Heather wrote:Actually it does keep going after "Rancher"

But with that said, I'm not one for labels... never have been.
Not sure what the big deal is to be honest.

I'm don't care too much about what I am labeled either, but apparently others do, and so they start throwing out unnessesary spam

Onyxdragon
Rancher

Postby Onyxdragon » Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:24 pm

Plumpette wrote:There is actually a section about this in the Terms of Service:

"Post Counts:

Post counts on Monomi Park Forums are in place only to acknowledge contributions made by our members. We are in no way biased to the amount of posts our members make. Please do not misinterpret post counts for anything other than what they are intended."

The highest "rank" you can get is Rancher, which you get after 30 posts. (* Edit, apparently there are more. (hope it's elder hen-hen) One of the biggest and most dangerous problems with forums that have existed for very long (which this forum has not, yet) are "regulars." Users who have been on the forum for years. If a community is not careful in it's foundation, many different developments can cause the community to eventually become unwelcoming to new users and grow toxic because of a controlling, gatekeeping userbase. One of the easiest way to accomplish that is by introducing a caste system. Where it's members are indicated to have more "worth" by how long they have been on the forum.

This is a big issue in almost all forums/communities that have existed for long. And the easiest way to make sure it never gets there is to make sure it never even starts the journey towards it.

So I very heavily disagree with you.

I agree with all of your points, but I don't understand why you heavily disagree, because my point was that some newcomers that greedy for ranks and popularity and even though it says "Please do not misinterpret post counts for anything other than what they are intended" there is plenty of them who DO see the post count for for anything other than what they are intended, and that's the whole reason why I made this post.

Onyxdragon
Rancher

Postby Onyxdragon » Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:07 pm

Plumpette wrote:Okay I think I understand. I apologize, I thought you meant the opposite. :)

I do wonder how making the rank system also calculate for how long you've been a member would change that? I mean, it feels like the outcome would rather be that they would simply try even harder to increase their rank since it would be harder, meaning they would "spam" even more?

There is also the problem of the phpBB software (what the forum uses) not being the most advanced. It would probably require the need to code a custom plugin for that very purpose, if it even could be done. Which is something I think the developers would really not have the time/interest for.

No problem :>

I can only dream of a perfect system for ranks for this forum but in the end the spammers always win *cries*

Onyxdragon
Rancher

Postby Lantern » Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:16 pm

Plumpette wrote:There is actually a section about this in the Terms of Service:

"Post Counts:

Post counts on Monomi Park Forums are in place only to acknowledge contributions made by our members. We are in no way biased to the amount of posts our members make. Please do not misinterpret post counts for anything other than what they are intended."

The highest "rank" you can get is Rancher, which you get after 30 posts. (* Edit, apparently there are more. (hope it's elder hen-hen) One of the biggest and most dangerous problems with forums that have existed for very long (which this forum has not, yet) are "regulars." Users who have been on the forum for years. If a community is not careful in it's foundation, many different developments can cause the community to eventually become unwelcoming to new users and grow toxic because of a controlling, gatekeeping userbase. One of the easiest way to accomplish that is by introducing a caste system. Where it's members are indicated to have more "worth" by how long they have been on the forum.

This is a big issue in almost all forums/communities that have existed for long. And the easiest way to make sure it never gets there is to make sure it never even starts the journey towards it.

So I very heavily disagree with you.

Let's hope this community doesn't go down that gatekeeper userbase. We need to keep this community as toxic-free as possible, and the scary thing is, anything can set off the chain of events that leads to a toxic community. I've seen it happen before on another forum and it isn't a lovely sight at all. It can happen with disagreements, ignoring users that are just trying to share their ideas with the world and want to feel like a part of the community, social groupings and community expectations, etc. All these factors and math stuffs is breaking my brains.

So, I don't want to see segregated new players or even split playerbases. What I'd love to see is a community working together. Those are diamonds in the rough and need to be treasured for as long as possible.
Light the way.
Lantern
Rancher

Postby Heather » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:22 pm

Lantern wrote:Let's hope this community doesn't go down that gatekeeper userbase. We need to keep this community as toxic-free as possible [....]
I don't want to see segregated new players or even split playerbases. What I'd love to see is a community working together. Those are diamonds in the rough and need to be treasured for as long as possible.

ImageImageImage
Heather
Admin

Postby Nunn » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:26 pm

I have faith in our community, Everyone is quite civil and respectful of one another. I suppose perhaps once the game really starts getting big, and people start joining. Their may be a possibility for a rift to form between those who joined at the start. And those who joined later on.

But honestly, I think if we can all be polite and understanding. And keep up the current attitude, that shouldn't happen.
Nunn
Rancher

Postby ChickadooRancher » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:33 am

To be honest i want to be a chickadoo for a while... i usualy see the "ranks" that are under our name's as a fun little thingy
list of stuff I've done in slime rancher:
    Gotten a hen stuck in a cat slime... twice
    watched a tarrpocolypse on a tall ledge only for a tarr to jump up and scare me to death
ChickadooRancher
Rancher

Postby Nunn » Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:14 pm

ChickadooRancher wrote:To be honest i want to be a chickadoo for a while... i usualy see the "ranks" that are under our name's as a fun little thingy

I want to be a chickadoo! "Rancher" is a boring rank :/. Rancher = floating arms with gun/gingerbread guy/yarn girl/cay guy.
Nunn
Rancher

Return to Far, Far Off-Topic