Creature simulation games

Community discussion unrelated to Slime Rancher

Creature simulation games

Postby Zolah » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:36 pm

H0i!
Im Tem... No , Im Zolah xD

And I thougth I would bring up the topic of other creature simulation games. ( or things one could somewhat have in the same cathegory, its kinda hard finding a more suiting name )
Im quite the game freak so ive played throu my fair share of games ever since I had an atari infront of me as a small kid.

Heres a small list of few Ive treasured, feel free to ask questions about them :)

The sims - Probably one of the most popular creature simulation games, yes I know its humans but its the same base. You take care of 'something' and watch it develope.

Creatures series - This was one of my favorites where you took care of a 'Norn', from egg to adulthood. You could go quite deep with these, play around with genetics and whatnot.

Catz/Dogz/Oddballz - This was probably the first game of pet simulation i got my hands on, basically you got a pet to take care of. Series is pretty dead what I know of today.

Spore - maybe more of an honorary mention? pretty fun game, you evolve your own alien race from bacteria to a fullfledged alien race. Last 'levels' are more like an strategy game which i personally thougth was boring.

Harvest moon series - I really like these, there are different variations. My favorite is probably the fantasy version where you instead of only have farm animals have monsters.

Monster rancher - This game is awesome, people love pokemon, I love monster rancher. Here you bring up your monster from scratch and compete, eventually your monster grow old and could either become a mentor for your new monster or be released to the wild. There is also a splice element where you mix different monsters to create a new one

Honorable mentions -
Pokemon , EVO , Seaman.

Ill try to update this once in a while, maybe with your suggestions or simply with things ive forgotten about!
Zolah
Chickadoo

Re: Creature simulation games

Postby Heather » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:24 pm

Great list, showing my age here... but, Sim Earth was cool for it's time :)
Heather
Admin

Postby Zolah » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:10 am

Oh I checked it out, actually one I havent played or heard about.
Many of the sim games were pretty intresting, and very unique. I kinda miss things like that, We have alot of indi developers etc today but i have yet not felt the same thing as i do when i look at some old games. Its like, where did all those ideas come from?

For example you have Sim Ant, which is pretty amazing to. You basically build your own ant colony, and can read up on alot of facts. Even the manual content was about real ants haha!

- Fun thing, The creator of creatures is making a new simulation game called " Grandroids " thou there is nothing much out there anymore about the game itself. he made a ickstarter around 2011? and after that nothing more has been revealed. Found in a post he claimed he worked everyday on the project. But IDK, Would be really awesome if it was to completion since the creatures 4 ( or online since it got renamed ) pretty much crashed and burned ( some other company bougth the rigths )
Zolah
Chickadoo

Postby Wonda » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:41 pm

This doesn't count, but I still want to share it:

There are several evolution simulations, floating around the ether, that used to amaze me in how computers simulated the complex nature of evolution. Two main sources of these were:

Creature Mann's Simulations,
and Karl Sims's Simulations.

At the time, they were fascinating to me.
Three in a row, tic tac tarr!
Wonda
Rancher

Postby Zolah » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:31 am

Wow Wonda - thats pretty cool, i th ink thats one of the aspects why i think creature simulations are so intresting. My thirst for watching things grow is getting bigger! *raises fist to the sky*
GIVE ME MOAR SLIMES! xD

Sad news for Creatures fans btw!

The fourth installment of Creatures ( called creatures online ) has ben halted by the company big ben, No one knows why and the fishing catcus studios are not allowed to share any information on the matter.

As a creatures fan this was pretty sad, I was hoping to be able to play a newer version of the game. Sure I was a bit worried that it would become just another facebook game but still felt overall excited about it.

For those intrested in reading, here is the announcement on their blog
http://blog.fishingcactus.com/index.php ... statement/
Zolah
Chickadoo

Return to Far, Far Off-Topic