UNDERWATER RANCHING: New areas, diving and underwater slimes

Share your original Slimepedia entries

UNDERWATER RANCHING: New areas, diving and underwater slimes

Postby PioTendero » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:07 am

I want to firstly give credit to IBJink for posting the idea of using a slime submarine and sea exploring. I got this idea after reading their idea. This is separate from the slime submarine idea so this is why I wanted to make this post.

I got some ideas on underwater exploration so, I'll split it up into parts:

-UNDERWATER MAP
It won't be as accessible as on land through teleporters but maybe the slime submarine idea by IBJink can be implemented to access these areas. Maybe the submarine could have upgrades to explore further.

There could be certain spots of interest in the slime sea, like the part of the dry reef that's actually still submerged. Or underwater ruins. A deep trench. A kelp forest. A tide pool. Many possibilities.

-DIVING SUIT
Something new to be upgradable for your personal upgrades. It allows you to explore the sea. Upgrades can include air capacity, underwater movement speed and maybe a water dash. Air capacity means you will get knocked out if you run out of air and you don't return to the sub on time after exploring. But I also have another idea on air management.

- AIR POCKETS
Instead of collecting water like you do on land, you can collect air while underwater exploring. There could be underwater caves or vents that you can collect air from so that you can increase your exploration time when going to really far off areas.

- UNDERWATER SLIMES
Self-explanatory. Newer slimes. Managing them will have a different mechanic and their corrals will be included in a dock extension.

- SEA PENS
The underwater slime version of the corral. These are corrals where you can put your underwater slimes and feed them. There would be a different way to feed them since it would be difficult to continuously collect food for them.

- SEA FOOD
Instead of vegatable, meat and fruit, the underwater slimes could either be feeding on sea plants, plankton or certain fish. So besides sea pens, there could be a place to grow algea/kelp/anemone. Then there could also be something like a chicken coop for fish, like a fish farm or net that continuously filters fish and a certain type of fish depending on the kind of bait you put in it. Then for plankton, it would be easy collect. It could already be a feature of the sea pen that it collects plankton and feeds slimes that prefer plankton.

- TSUNAMIS
I was thinking that since the glass desert has moments when fire would come out, there could be moments when underwater when you have to find a sea cave or a place with many rocks to take cover from when a tsunami happens. Bascially, when it happens, currents underwater are strong enough to blow everything in one direction for a short time.

- UNDERWATER QUAKES
When exploring deeper areas of the slime sea, where a flashlight is necessary, maybe there could be underwater geysers that shoot magma from the bottom. The deep sea will be illuminated for a while.

- SEA TARR
A tarr that has been born from underwater slimes. Not like the land tarr that dies from water. Instead of the land tarr's usual behavior of jumping around and sucking up everything, the tarr could have tentacles that pull in it's prey. This fits the way that underwater allows free movement. Don't know, but it could be an entirely new kind of abomination altogether since tarr generally hates water.

- DECORATIONS AND LAB GADGETS
None yet but would be interested to hear ideas on them.

Generally interested in what other people can suggest, especially if there are ideas of underwater slimes or areas or a system that could work.
PioTendero
Chickadoo

Re: UNDERWATER RANCHING: New areas, diving and underwater sl

Postby EmeraldPlay » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:03 am

Nice ideas, but as I said on the thread you based it on, the slime sea is supposed to act as a barrier. With its barrier functionality being removed, what would keep you from going outside the map?
My avatar was taken from Miomilla's chart.

Not visiting this place as often so contact me on Discord if you want anything from me.
-----
Links:
The partnered Discord server for Slime Rancher I once moderated
Restored prototype features
EmeraldPlay
Treefox

Postby PioTendero » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:21 am

Well, I was thinking that the only way to have access to these areas would be something like a submarine and then from the sub, you go to these certain areas can explore up to the boundaries of these areas. I mean, these areas aren't going to be open ocean but areas of interest like ruins or a reef. And there would be no way to reach them on foot or any other way besides the sub.
PioTendero
Chickadoo

Postby ArannRules » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:36 am

EmeraldPlay wrote:Nice ideas, but as I said on the thread you based it on, the slime sea is supposed to act as a barrier. With its barrier functionality being removed, what would keep you from going outside the map?

Maybe some sort of Coral Reef barrier underneath? or maybe that the pressure is to great around the egdes casuing you to die? Also i would love like chasms and vacuums you could fall into to add some actual danger besides air
*clears throat* The Emoji Movie was an inside job..

DoNt AsK, jUsT wAtCh

Font Colour is to confusing
ArannRules
Rancher

Postby PioTendero » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:54 am

Yeah something like that! Cliffs and coral reef barriers and ruin barriers for underwater ruins. How would the chasms and vacuums work if I may ask?
PioTendero
Chickadoo

Postby jarethverens » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:05 am

That kinda reminds me of one of my own ideas, the Deep Sea Slime.
More info on it: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4687
jarethverens
Rancher

Postby PioTendero » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:20 am

Maybe the tarr eventually evolved to live in the slime sea after being thrown in so much.
PioTendero
Chickadoo

Postby akkamaddi » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:03 pm

To what EmeraldPlay said, I also touched on the idea of an underwater zone in a post of mine.

What I suggested, which would work here, is to have underwater "pockets", and basically discontinuities with old ocean pockets under the Slime Sea. Chasms or caves could have water pockets from before the Slime Sea took over. Temperature and/or salinity differences could cause the Slime Sea to essentially float over these water bubbles. The "safe" aquatic zone/zones would be relegated to contained areas, with the dangerous Slime Sea acting as a ceiling.

With this model, you can completely skip using the Slime Sea as transport. The submarine or chute or teleporter or spring in a cave connecting to a larger network would be self-contained. Travel two and back would be a portal or on rails, so you only have the illusion of freedom of travel.

I think this could work without opening the edges of the map.

If true water travel is ready, then the tether to the mainland could be the "remote power system" or "outside navigational range" or "outside emergency retrieval safety zone" or "technobabble technobabble shock collar technobabble".

The navigation system of the 7Zee Kingfisher Hovercraft it tied to the Ranch's emergency retrieval system. The hovercraft will not allow the rancher to travel too far from the ranch in order to prevent death by inability of the Ranch drones to preform a rescue. Also, the Hovercraft sometimes fills with eels.

And problem solved.

Or....

Better solution, if I can just dream for a minute, go ahead and make the map about ten times larger! :-) Have other islands. Have new zones and biomes, both terrestrial and aquatic. The boundaries of the map can be what your navigation system deems safely traversable. New areas can be added by simply expanding where you are allowed to go. I know this is probably the least popular choice with the devs, so I'll type it in the invisible ink they can't see. :-)
akkamaddi
Rancher

Postby PioTendero » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:38 am

Hmmm, the pockets seem cool actually :) Would it require finding like the treasure pods?
PioTendero
Chickadoo

Postby akkamaddi » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:41 pm

PioTendero wrote:Hmmm, the pockets seem cool actually :) Would it require finding like the treasure pods?

That would all depend on if/how such an idea is implemented. Basically, I see this as the Slime Ocean took over the Far Far Range, but pockets of the old ocean would remain, protected by temperature or salinity gradients, or perhaps the Slime Sea floats on salt water. Most of the old water basin would be consumed, but some deep areas of the old ocean have the slime sea floating over it.

As for the pockets, it could be one large area of valleys and caves, like an aquatic Indigonium Quarry. In open areas, if you "jump" too high and make contact with the Slime Sea, it is just as dangerous as touching it on the surface. (Or, your suit gives you some protection, but you take 50 damage every few seconds, so it's still a very bad idea to touch it.)

There could be multiple pockets, discovered by sonar/radar/Slimedar. The coordinates could be given by NPC's if you impress them enough in Ranch Exchange trades, or even as payment. Like the Submarine idea, the pockets could be randomly generated on each visit.
akkamaddi
Rancher

Postby PioTendero » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:44 am

That's quite the complicated lore though :))
PioTendero
Chickadoo

Postby sofiabovinoclaudia » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:35 am

With its barrier functionality being removed, what would keep you from going outside the map? watch otc
sofiabovinoclaudia
Plort

Postby PioTendero » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:37 am

I wouldn't recommend the barrier being removed, which is why there are only certain areas in the slime sea, which are walled off by either large sea ridges, or a warning from the suit that straying too far from the submarine might end up in Beatrix getting lost.
PioTendero
Chickadoo

Return to Slime Design