Thunder Slimes

Share your original Slimepedia entries

Thunder Slimes

Postby Kataztrophie » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:50 pm

So, one thing in the development roadmap is an improved skybox with weather effects. We have a slime that relies upon the night to make it's appearance, so having a slime that relies upon rain to come out would make about as much sense as phosphor slimes do. Also, logically, if it starts raining, that should kill all the tarr that are above ground and exposed to the rain. So, shouldn't there be a balance of danger for ranchers? Queue the thunder slime.

Slimepedia

Rain, rain, come today, bring a thunder slime my way

Slimeology:

Thunder slimes come out when it rains on the range, bouncing around on the wet ground. Thunder slimes have electricity flowing through their slime, and can be easily located by the thunder sound that comes from discharging this electricity.

Rancher Risks:
The thunder slime has the ability to be dangerous. It will occasionally discharge the perpetually building electricity in its body to the tallest object near it. Occasionally, this object is a rancher, who is mildly injured by the slime.

Furthermore, thunder slimes, like phosphor slimes, have special needs above that of a typical slime. A thunder slime and it's plorts, when not kept wet, will vanish. This could mean the loss of an entire corral of thunder slimes. Ranchers must add a sprinkler upgrade to corrals to keep these slimes from disappearing.

Plortonomics:
The stability of these plorts is debatable. It has successfully been used as an electricity source in a lab, but not before giving several researchers the worst hair day of their life. At research continues on how to have these plorts as a *safe* energy source, the demand for them is ever increasing.

Slimes gotta eat, right?

Cloudmelon

Type: Fruit

Favored by: thunder slime

Deposit a cloudmelon into a garden's depositor and you'll grow some cloudmelon vines of your own. This crop will last for several harvests.

When ranchers first experienced the hot, hot summers in the Far, Far Range, they immediately longed for the crisp watermelon of home. Luckily, an early rancher found a plant much like it, but with bands of white and light grey, reminding her of a cloudy day. Prized for the cool flavor on a hot summer day, the cloud melon has spread and grows near all watery places in the far, far range.

With the release of this slime, there would of course be some slime science objects to go with it.

Lightning rod (slime science utility)

Function: Serves to attract the lightning from thunder slimes (rather than having ranchers get struck) It has roughly the range of a hydro turret.

Recipe: 20 pink plorts, 10 thunder plorts, 5 hexacomb, 5 spiral steam, and 5 indigonium.

Decoration: Colored plasma balls

These would function the same way slime lamps would, only with those electric balls that have electricity that follows you when you touch it. Each would have it's own color. The recipe would be the same as with slime lamps, but with thunder plorts in the place of phosphor plorts. The designs for these would be found in new treasure pods across the far, far range.

It's toy would be something like a cloud pushlie or one of those sticks that sounds like rain when you turn it, only maybe in ball form.

One thing I mentioned earlier in this is that you would need a sprinkler for them to stay wet. This is on par with the phosphor slime needing a solar shield and air net to keep them from escaping.

Thoughts? Questions? Comments?
Kataztrophie
Chickadoo

Re: Thunder Slimes

Postby FishFruit14 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:16 pm

This is actually really good! Nice idea. What tier would its plorts be?
Sectanza made my amazing spider slime avatar!!! Thanks, Sectanza!!!
FishFruit14
Rancher

Postby EmeraldPlay » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:03 am

Nice idea, but the sprinkler idea might be problematic. Will it work only with thunder slimes? Or would it work with more? Because that would make things like quantum slimes and tarr outbreaks much easier to handle, and that would be OP.
My avatar was taken from Miomilla's chart.

Not visiting this place as often so contact me on Discord if you want anything from me.
-----
Links:
The partnered Discord server for Slime Rancher I once moderated
Restored prototype features
EmeraldPlay
Treefox

Postby Kataztrophie » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:40 am

FishFruit14 wrote:This is actually really good! Nice idea. What tier would its plorts be?

Since they have the ability to hurt you, I'm thinking tier 3.
Kataztrophie
Chickadoo

Postby Kataztrophie » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:42 am

EmeraldPlay wrote:Nice idea, but the sprinkler idea might be problematic. Will it work only with thunder slimes? Or would it work with more? Because that would make things like quantum slimes and tarr outbreaks much easier to handle, and that would be OP.

I feel like it would be important to not change too many of the risks/mechanics within the game. The sprinkler system would probably only have just enough water to keep the thunder slimes happy, the way the sprinkler system in gardens can't do anything for tarr/quantums that find their way there.
Kataztrophie
Chickadoo

Postby Kataztrophie » Wed May 31, 2017 5:06 pm

So I was thinking back to this post and thought of another slime science gadget. A battery powered automatic free range plort collector. If you have, say, free range largos in the overgrowth, it's a pain to go out there and collect their plorts. There are chickens in the way and largos constantly getting stuck on your vac pac and you have to go in there and manually clean everything.

I'm thinking it would be like the plort collector on corrals, but of course, free range and with a much wider range than those. It would have the ability to hold up to 100 of two types of plort. It would be able to collect all of the plorts in the area if you're free ranging in the lab, the grotto, the overgrowth, or the docks (it would NOT get puddle slime plorts because those would break, and it would NOT collect plorts that are inside corralls). In the main part of the ranch, it would take two (one for each half on the ranch). This would ONLY work on the ranch.

I'm thinking, 30 lightning plorts (because it would need to be super powerful to get plorts over a large area), 30 pink plorts, 20 of every other type of plort in the game, and one each of royal jelly, lava dust, and strange diamond would be reasonable for something that would be this advantageous. It shouldn't be very easy to get.
Kataztrophie
Chickadoo

Postby asdfghjklinkin » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:10 pm

I like the idea of a sprinkler system, and perhaps one that even controlled radiation and quantum teleportation. But I think it's something that should be way, way expensive, and/or perhaps make certain slimes irritable. It wouldn't be enough to kill a tarr, and it wouldn't be enough to let a puddle slime survive in a corral.
I'm Linkin.
asdfghjklinkin
Rancher

Return to Slime Design