Anti-Piracy ideas! (Taking suggestions)

Share your original Slimepedia entries

Anti-Piracy ideas! (Taking suggestions)

Postby Turtleslime » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:01 pm

I had an idea at school. What if there was a corrupt slime that only appears in pirated/fake version of the game? It will be one shot ko, even with max health. No plort. Only slime in pirated/fake versions. Good temporary piracy block?
Keep calm and honey tabby on. Because as the going gets rough, one needs an adorable sidekick to help.
Turtleslime
Chickadoo

Re: Anti-Piracy ideas! (Taking suggestions)

Postby Onyxdragon » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:11 pm

That's actually a really cool idea, but for some people it would encourage them to pirate it to discover a new slime, and how would it be implemented in only pirated versions?
I’m a cryptid that appears here every 100 years.

Started on this forum in high school, now in my last year of college.
Onyxdragon
Rancher

Postby Turtleslime » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:43 pm

Onyxdragon wrote:That's actually a really cool idea, but for some people it would encourage them to pirate it to discover a new slime, and how would it be implemented in only pirated versions?

Good coding, and searching the amount of money the Treefoxes have obtained. If the copy is not given a credible receipt from steam or the other services, which is downloaded along with the game, the corrupt slime will spawn. After the first ten minutes, the game will crash, a major turnoff for pirates. Only crashes intentionally on fakes.
Keep calm and honey tabby on. Because as the going gets rough, one needs an adorable sidekick to help.
Turtleslime
Chickadoo

Postby LaDestitute » Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:15 am

Turtleslime wrote:
Onyxdragon wrote:That's actually a really cool idea, but for some people it would encourage them to pirate it to discover a new slime, and how would it be implemented in only pirated versions?

Good coding, and searching the amount of money the Treefoxes have obtained. If the copy is not given a credible receipt from steam or the other services, which is downloaded along with the game, the corrupt slime will spawn. After the first ten minutes, the game will crash, a major turnoff for pirates. Only crashes intentionally on fakes.

The problem with crashing is that it can still occur on a legitimately certified copy of the game, and maybe may not be a good thing to put in to fight piracy.
But yeah, a few games have done this slime idea, such as Serious Sam with the unkillable stalkery murdery giant scorpion.

I think a better way and more subtle way instead of an aggressive super-powerful slime is simply to make all slimes never get hungry, therefore, meaning they never produce any plorts, preventing the player from making any serious progress.
LaDestitute
Rancher

Postby EmeraldPlay » Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:45 am

I've seen some cases with anti-piracy methods (f.e. Sims 4) and always sooner or later hackers managed to crack it.

Is it really worth it?
My avatar was taken from Miomilla's chart.

Not visiting this place as often so contact me on Discord if you want anything from me.
-----
Links:
The partnered Discord server for Slime Rancher I once moderated
Restored prototype features
EmeraldPlay
Treefox

Postby Hachiseiko » Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:31 am

EmeraldPlay wrote:I've seen some cases with anti-piracy methods (f.e. Sims 4) and always sooner or later hackers managed to crack it.

Is it really worth it?

It's not. It really isn't worth it.

EA have managed to make some games impossible to pirate. One example is Darkspore. Guess how? The game is online only. You literally cannot play it without an official account connected to EA:s servers and internet always on. Well, that's not SO bad, you might say. Oh yeah? Well, Darkspore is being killed off at the end of this month. They're going to shut the game's servers down (which are hella expensive to host btw, and would be impossible to keep for such a small studio as Monomi parks) and then you'll never be able to play it again. Literally. Ever. They're just killing it.

That's what happens to non-pirated games. They're expensive, annoying, inconvenience legitimate buyers and they die. Just don't. Please...
All my latest slime art!
A base to make your own slimes!

Want to use any of my art?
That's fine! But ask me first! ;D

I'm not very active but PM me and I'll get an e-mail and I'll reply!
Hachiseiko
Keeper

Postby OreRancher » Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:21 pm

How does that even work? You can't intend to put something in something you don't intend other people to do. How would they even detect pirated versions?
Slimes are bob-uh-ly
So wiggly and slimey goop.
I want to hug them.
OreRancher
Rancher

Postby Turtleslime » Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:11 pm

Turtleslime wrote:

Turtleslime
Chickadoo

Postby EmeraldPlay » Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:09 pm

I don't think this thread needs to continue.
My avatar was taken from Miomilla's chart.

Not visiting this place as often so contact me on Discord if you want anything from me.
-----
Links:
The partnered Discord server for Slime Rancher I once moderated
Restored prototype features
EmeraldPlay
Treefox

Postby Heather » Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:47 pm

EmeraldPlay wrote:I don't think this thread needs to continue.

I agree, as per our TOS, this topic is now closed despite the good intentions.

TOS/Forum Rules wrote:Commercial Advertisements, Software Piracy and Downloads:

We do not allow commercial advertisements or discussion of software piracy and/or downloading of any kind in the forum, up to and including avatars, posts, signatures, etc.
Heather
Admin

Return to Slime Design